Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Had to have hit something. That thing is WAY out of whack.
Guess its time to call the insurance agent. Thanks for all your responses.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:36 AM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
There was obviousy a issue with burning from a bent strut. Look at the strut compared to the rudder color. When you have this disturbance is the water flow it can cause the metal to "burn" or heat and dis-color. That was what looks to have happened here.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 AM
MC Master Poster

The strut and rudder won't necessarily be the same color, or exactly the same alloy. If the strut got hot enough to darken from heat, the cutlass bearing would have melted and besides- it was in water so that would have cooled it. The shaft would have localized heating and cooling and with the top of the strut being a break point, that's where is failed.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Agreed...cavitation burn would be HIGHLY unlikely to play any role in that strut failure.

"Common things present commonly". IOW, when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
I agree that the strut was bent, my point to it being bent was the fact that it looked as if it had heated up from aireation. For sure it would never see enough heat from aireation to allow it to bend though.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPC Sealman View Post
I agree that the strut was bent, my point to it being bent was the fact that it looked as if it had heated up from aireation. For sure it would never see enough heat from aireation to allow it to bend though.
I'm pretty sure cavitation burn is more an erosion of the material from the force of the water and anything in the water that can contribute than an extreme temperature issue.

If the strut bent, it could have happened when the shaft failed- the spinning prop would have thrown a good amount of torque at it in the short time before it hit the rudder. If it was already bent before going out before it failed, it hit something and if others drive the boat, maybe they assumed it was OK and didn't say anything.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Cavitation is water being heated enough to boil in the low pressure area of a propeller (or something) or some other underwater protrusion. Cavitation burn is usually more focused because it takes a pretty focused stream of bubbles to develop the heat energy necessary to erode nibral. Which was my point. Cavitation burn wouldn't occur in a broad enough area to cause enough heating to discolor an entire strut -- just can't generate enough heat energy. Aeration around the strut falls into the category of "ventilation", not cavitation. These hulls just aren't designed badly enough to allow much in the way of ventilation, but even if they were, I just don't see ventilation causing enough heat energy to affect the running gear in any way.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
I've seen a similar situation on a malibu. The shaft broke in the same spot and had a bent Stabilizer . The Stabilizer was bent from being beach and hit a rock... That was there theory at least. Could of been bent loading or unloading on a trailer in my opinion.Then after some use with no vibration it snapped the shaft in the same spot. Since there isn't a balancing issue the shaft won't vibrate but it will create a bind at the point of stress and will warp or break. Since it really isn't going to get hot enough to warp... breaking is more practical. no hard to fix.. just money...
Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X-1
have you loaded it on the trailer lately and missed the center of the bunks? it might not leave a mark but could bent it like that.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-15, 1993 Prostar S&S
Drive Shaft Nut Fell Off

Different issue, but started my day reading this thread. At 3pm that afternoon I heard a huge CLUNK, and instantly had no power. My son was riding and we were idling back to pick him up, so no major speed or RPM involved at that moment. Didn't know what had happened, but asked Jack to see if the prop was still there, check. Towed to the ramp and trailered, to find that the shaft was loose in the hull (moves in and out). After reading this thread, I figured for sure I had broken the shaft, although no strikes and nothing appeared to be bent or damaged. After a sleepless night, I took the boat to the dealer first thing a.m., and a suggestion by my home dealer to check the Nylock nut at the tranny proved correct. It had come off, and ultimately, at idle reverse, it pulled out and impacted the rudder. We reinstalled the nut with fresh locktite to fix. I told the dealer about my fear of having broken the shaft and reading this story the day before, and he says, oh you mean that boat over there? Too weird. The yellow X-10 was right there.

So first of all, cheers to the folks and Boat House Marine for over the phone, after hours diagnosis, and to the great guys at Action Water Sports in TC, Michigan for the quick fix.

Questions. Has this happened to any of you before with V-Drives? Why is there no pin in that nut? Would you feel secure re-installing the same nut that failed the day before? I assume it has been working its way loose for some time, but I think I would have noticed the shaft moving even a little bit when engaging reverse.

Hope to hear your thoughts on this.
Attached Images

Tags
driveshaft