Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Shopping
Quick question....buy at end of summer or winter?

Hi guys, first post here and wanted to ask for some advice.

We are planning on buying a used X-2 (2006-2008) and I am wondering if I would be best off to buy at the end of Summer or during the Winter?
Obviously I am curious if I will stand to get a better deal at one time vs. the other or if it really wont matter.

Thanks in advance!

Jake
Old 07-31-2009, 06:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 214
I watched boat prices for a long, long time before I made my purchase. Prices were the lowest October-November. By January people seem to be thinking, if I hold on a couple of months, I can get big money in the spring. Go to boattrader or similiar site, check it every couple of weeks for the model you want. I think you will see prices start to drop in a month or so.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:35 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I agree...oct-dec. I got my X-star in december just before the boat shows came around. I think dealers like selling boats then because it's unexpected.

Check with all the MC dealers who frequent this forum (Bay area watersports in florida, MC of Charlotte, Chicago MC) These dealers are very supportive of TT members.

Welcome to the site!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 AM
MC Master Poster

It really depends on where you are. If your area has extremely cold winter temperatures, some people become tired of having to pay for winterizing and storing their boat every year and they're usually more eager to sell. In spring, people who are cooped up all winter get a bug in their ear to buy a boat and when they get all twitchy, sellers can ask more/get more. This is also a big reason the boat shows are usually in winter. Also, what you find will vary by area.

I wouldn't buy a used boat without going through it with a fine-toothed comb. If you buy from a dealer, make sure it has had a complete survey and if you buy from a private party, it will usually be As Is, but if you think the one you're looking at is the one you really want, offer to split the cost of a survey by a qualified person. If you don't buy it, you aren't out as much as if you had bought a nightmare and the seller will have a baseline on his boat.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
I watched prices when we bought, and didn't seem to find a big difference. We're in Michigan, and I did buy in September, but prices were similar in the spring. I was buying a ~10 year old boat though.

As a result, my opinion is if you find what you want for what you think is a good deal, and it's in good shape, buy it. Sure, in the spring someone is $$ further down after paying winterization and storage, but they also owes less, assuming they have a loan on a boat worth that much.

Especially in this economy, if someone wants to sell something, and you have money to buy it, I'd think you are in the drivers seat....
Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Even now isn't a bad time to buy. I know some dealers like to get rid of inventory to make room in the yard and the checkbook for the 2010's.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X-15 w/MCX
I think that this year, the fall will produce some killer deals in the Midwest/NE. People are done using the boats as much once the kids go back to school and the weather gets bad- they don't want to sell in the Summer. Once fall comes, it's time to get the boat cleaned up and out of the water, and then a storage bill comes, plus many have payments that are not appetizing for Oct-April while the boat sits idle....
Old 07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Honestly, it depends on what you're buying, too. If you're looking for a newer ski boat, I'll bet you could find a sweet deal on an 08 Promo that hasn't sold, especially with the 2010's coming out. Or maybe anyone who still has an 08 Promo has just decided to leave the program at this point.

As for timing, I've bought a boat in February and I've bought a boat in August. I've sold a boat in September. I got good deals on both of my boats and felt like I got a good price on the one I sold.

So, if it's me, and I'm looking, then I'm just looking for a good deal and not worrying about what could be were I to wait. If you're always looking for a better deal, you'll end up shopping when you could be skiing.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckevin View Post
I watched boat prices for a long, long time before I made my purchase. Prices were the lowest October-November. By January people seem to be thinking, if I hold on a couple of months, I can get big money in the spring. Go to boattrader or similiar site, check it every couple of weeks for the model you want. I think you will see prices start to drop in a month or so.
I agree. I bought mine in September. There are exceptions, but what I found was that people panic and try and get rid of their boats while there may be a little season left. Once winter hits, they tend to wait until spring, like "What's a few more months?"
Old 07-31-2009, 10:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star TBI 310HP Predator
Your profile says you are from the Midwest. Here's a sweet looking 2007 X-2 at Redline watersports in Madison, WI
http://www.redlinewatersports.com/ne...006&pov=647429