Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-26-2012, 07:19 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Ok so I started my LT-1 today only to find my steam tube leaking at the back of the engine.
This would be a good time to use pipe plugs to block off the back of the heads and install fittings at the front of the heads with a connecting hose.
Only one problem, my alt is in the way on the right side (see pic in post 62)

Do I :

a) replace steam tube at back of engine with fittings and a hose like it was stock.
b) block off rear of heads with pipe plugs, install just one fitting on left head front.
c) somehow drill a large hole in my alt bracket to allow room for a fitting on that side as well.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
Quote:
Do I :

a) replace steam tube at back of engine with fittings and a hose like it was stock.
b) block off rear of heads with pipe plugs, install just one fitting on left head front.
c) somehow drill a large hole in my alt bracket to allow room for a fitting on that side as well.

A) You could do that...but it didn't work well in the first place. That's why there is a service bulletin.

B) You need to have a place for steam to escape from BOTH heads, not just one.

C) DING DING DING...

Some time ago I mentioned to you in this thread that my '93 LT1 alt. bracket looks nothing like yours, It sits much lower near the bottom of the engine.

You could get a stock bracket as an alternative.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorski View Post
A) You could do that...but it didn't work well in the first place. That's why there is a service bulletin.

B) You need to have a place for steam to escape from BOTH heads, not just one.

C) DING DING DING...

Some time ago I mentioned to you in this thread that my '93 LT1 alt. bracket looks nothing like yours, It sits much lower near the bottom of the engine.

You could get a stock bracket as an alternative.
After further examination I decided drilling a hole into the alt mount would be pretty tough, as there is some webbing in the exact spot that the hole would need to be. So I removed the original steam tube and replaced it with fittings/hoses. The tube was very clogged up with sediment anyway, doubt if it was working very well for the old owner.
Ran it on the hose in the driveway, all is well, no leaks. I'll keep an eye on the temp gauge and see how it works out. I know there are some LT-1's that have never changed the steam tube to the front of the engine, and this one has over 700 hours on it with the tube at the rear so we'll see.

Getting a low mounted alt bracket is a good suggestion for a long term fix. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 PROSTAR LT-1
Hello to Y'all. First read these posts in jan 2012, when I was starting to upgrade to roller rockers. I posted a thread about that rebuild.

When I went to remove the plugs from the front of the heads, the 1/4 " drive broke off. (Both sides)...........when I attempted to remove the banjo fittings, they came out with welded (not really but looked like it) aluminum in the threads.

I ended up re-tapping the rear holes, and installing barbs and running hosing up to a t fitting, such that the t fitting was higher than the holes in the front of the heads. This allows the steam to escape from both heads, but is not as elegant as the other solution.

I suspect that others will have the same problem if they wait too long to make the switch.

Boat runs rock steady temperature on the line between 120 and 180 on the temp guage. (160 +/-)
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 04:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Steam tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pram View Post
I didn't remove the bleeder tubes off the back of the heads, looked like it was going to be a solid pain in the butt so I used the rubber cap on the metal tube that came to the front with a hose clamp
Please correct me if I am wrong. If you order the kit, you can simply add new parts to front of heads and leave everything on the back as is, provided you cap it off?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:02 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190, LT1
Correct. I left my tube on the rear and used rubber cap and clamp on tube running to front.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pram View Post

you can see it in this pic
That is the way they did mine too. I have had no issues. I considered changing it to plugs. So leave well enough alone or put the plugs in it?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong. If you order the kit, you can simply add new parts to front of heads and leave everything on the back as is, provided you cap it off?
Just an FYI for everyone, the kit that MasterCraft was using for the Service Bulletin is no longer available. I've had 4-5 people call this year for this kit and it is no longer made. You could try to call some dealers and maybe get lucky and find a dealer that might have an extra kit laying around. We sold our last one over a year ago.....

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kevin@MWMC; 08-28-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
Thanks Kevin. Ay chance we can get some info on what was one kit? Parts list, install info, pics or maybe service bulletin. May help to complete the thread.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
Please see attached PDF file.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LT1 BULLETIN MC96-001.pdf (369.7 KB, 178 views)