Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-26-2015, 08:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Tristar190
89 Tristar190 351 dies on lake

Hey guys I took my boat out for the first run of the year and all went great for about 2 hrs until we were starting our way in and I noticed the rpm slowly dropping and I went wide open and could only get 4000 rpm before it started to pop and sputter ect and died. Cranked on it a bit and it would not start. Waited maybe 20 (started paddled in) hit the key and with the throttle open with out it in gear I was able to started it and it ran fine for about 5 minutes until it did it again. Fortunately this time was were close to a boat ramp. When I took of the air Cleaner and looked at the carb with it running I noticed fuel running out inside the venturis and wasn't sure if that was right so I took a video that I had linked below. Any tours would be greatly appreciated. I feel that it's probably due for a carb rebuild but wanted to check with you guys first.

Carb: https://youtu.be/qaij2IfTBKM

Carb2: https://youtu.be/jWJSuq_WUJQ
Old 04-26-2015, 08:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Weak accelerator pump operation and probably some debris in needle and seat. Time for a carb rebuild.
$950 DELIVERED

5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/GUNMETAL INLAY
5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR KR03 RADIALS
STAINLESS CENTER CAPS, LIFETIME CHROME LUGS
MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 04-26-2015, 09:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Weak accelerator pump operation and probably some debris in needle and seat. Time for a carb rebuild.
Thanks. If the accelerator pump is weak wouldn't I have had issues when advancing the throttle? When it started losing power I was at a steady power setting? I assume you know more than me since you rebuild them I'm just curious why it would accelerator smoothly otherwise. Once it would restart it would run fine for about 5 minutes. I duplicated the problem several times before putting it on the trailer.

Side note do you know what size leaf springs my tandem axle trailer uses? To add insult to injury when my friend was bringing the trailer around to the ramp to pick us up (5 miles from where we started) one of the leaf springs broke.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Also I should mention I can only make it do it while its in the water. I couldn't duplicate it on the trailer with it out of gear.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:33 PM
MC Master Poster

To be more precise, I think the accelerator pump nozzle is clogged up and not allowing a good spray of fuel. You could be dealing with a clogged fuel filter. I suspect that you have several issues that you are dealing with. By your description, it sounds like you are running too rich and flooding out.................however yo could be starving for fuel. You could tell if you took a look down the throat of the carb right after it died.

As far as the leaf springs, I don't have an answer, though Northern Tool has been a great source for leaf springs for a bunch of the guys.
$950 DELIVERED

tiresplease@gmail.com

Old 04-26-2015, 10:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I wish I would have had the tools to do that while I was bobbing in the water today. I suspected that it might have been going rich, because to get it started again I had to have the throttle opened up. I will say that after I pulled the carb I removed the internal fuel screen and saw that the previous owner put it in with Teflon tape and it was all over on the inner side of the screen. So lord only knows how many pieces have floated down stream from there. I suppose I will start looking for a local rebuild shop otherwise I might have to send it your way. Unfortunately I need to have this thing back on the water soon so that I can make sure its running well before I head to Tennessee with it in a couple of weeks. Should I be concerned about the mechanical fuel pump at all? Is it something that I should consider changing while I'm at it?
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2015, 11:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Amazing how many guys will use teflon tape, silicone and gasket adhesive on their carbs. For the most part, mechanical fuel pumps either work or they don't. The arm that rides on the cam can wear, but it is the diaphragm that makes or breaks it's ability to pump fuel.

For what it's worth, I have no carbs in line right now. Assuming there are no problems, my normal turn-around time is 24 hours. Let me know if I can help.

I might have to rebuild a couple automotive carbs I have laying around.
$950 DELIVERED

tiresplease@gmail.com

Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Well I got the carb back last night and it looks great. The only problem is that the rebuilder told me that he found nothing wrong with it. So I was a back to square one until I found out that my distributor should be timed to 6 degrees and not 10. So we'll see if that fixes the problem.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
My '88 Tristar has always been set to 10 BTDC., and runs perfectly. I would not expect the dying you speak of to be related to whether it is set to 6 or 10 as it has obviously been set to 6 for quite some time. Sounds to be more fuel delivery related to me. Many have also had issues with the advance return springs within the distributor not working correctly (broken, rusted, etc.) There are four filters/screens on mine, anyone of which could restrict the fuel.
Screen at bottom of pickup tube (also checkball at tank fitting), fuel/water separator, filter at the bottom of the fuel pump, and the screen at the fuel line inlet to carb, which you've already cleaned.
You might run through all of those too.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyOrange88 View Post
My '88 Tristar has always been set to 10 BTDC., and runs perfectly. I would not expect the dying you speak of to be related to whether it is set to 6 or 10 as it has obviously been set to 6 for quite some time. Sounds to be more fuel delivery related to me. Many have also had issues with the advance return springs within the distributor not working correctly (broken, rusted, etc.) There are four filters/screens on mine, anyone of which could restrict the fuel.
Screen at bottom of pickup tube (also checkball at tank fitting), fuel/water separator, filter at the bottom of the fuel pump, and the screen at the fuel line inlet to carb, which you've already cleaned.
You might run through all of those too.
I'm on the road for work until tomorrow but I'm hoping to look at the rest of the fuel system when I get home.

What ignition are you running? I just switched to a Mallory breakerless which is the reason I'm wondering and the ignition a bit. Plug the fact that two plugs melted the electrodes out of them. I've been told that can be caused by pre ignition if I have the timing off. If it was lean I'd expect to see issues with all of the plugs. I will shamefully admit I didn't pull all of the plugs before I ran it with the new distributor so there is a possibility that they could have been bad from the start. None the less I'm changing the champion plugs that are in it over to the autolite 24 plugs and am putting new 8mm wires on it. Honestly I'm afraid that I'm going to look at the tank pick up and find out that it's not low enough in the tank and that I was just not picking up fuel. I can see fuel in the tank but haven't opened it up yet.
Attached Images