Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '95 Maristar 200 VRS
95 Maristar Muffler Removal

I am trying to get the mufflers off my 95 Maristar 201. I believe that they both are leaking water and from what I have read, I could put a fiberglass patch on them and reinstall. The issue is I removed the clamps that hold the exhaust hose on, but the muffler is frozen. I can't get the mufflers to turn an inch. How do I get them out? Ideas?
Thx
Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 PM

Boat: No Boat
take a flat end screw driver and run it under the hose slowly, and do it all the way around. Once the flexible hose comes loose the mufflers should come right out.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!

Last edited by CantRepeat; 04-15-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Pro Star 205, Ford 351 PowerSlot, Perfect Pass 6.5
I did this a few weeks ago. I tried the method listed above and for me it didnt work. The hose had fused to the muffler. I had to cut it out.

Sam
Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 210, 351, bought in '07 with 227 original hours.
I took some soapy water and sprayed it into the gap and combined it with the screwdriver trick (pry and spray). Just be sure to run the screw driver between the hose and muffler slowly. I think I even added some wd40 at times. It took a while, but a little wiggling, working the screwdriver in a circle and lots o lube got it done.

1990 Maristar 210... Sold

In the market though...
Old 05-01-2009, 08:25 AM
TT Newbie

The job has begun. Thanks to everyone for the tips. Liberal use of WD 40, using the screwdriver to break it lose and old fashion elbow grease got the job done.

The passenger side came out fairly easily, but the driver side was much more difficult. Ended up removing the alternator to get it out. The mufflers appear to have some rot on the inside and have few pin hole leaks that were not apparent until we filled the muffler with water. I suspect that under pressure they leaked at a fairly rapid pace. It looks almost like I could just put a spot of JB Weld on the holes and they would be fixed. The original plan was to fiberglass over the holes and reinstall, after taking a look at the inside I think I will replace.

My mufflers are 17" x 3 3/8". Can I find an exact replacement or will I need to buy one of the 13" and cut new exhaust hose? Anyone have any thoughts on this? The 2 sites I have looked on are ...
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1025 http://www.marineexhaustmanifolds.com/mufflers.cfm

Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: supra comp, supra labrisa,malibu wakesetter x30 now x45
You can get the origianl mufflers through Jim Jackson at viper customs his number is 865-388-4096. He is very reasonable in prices
Old 05-01-2009, 05:09 PM
TT Newbie

Just spoke to Jim. Seems like a nice guy. He is in Maryville, TN. He is shipping me 2 mufflers for delivery next week and he had pretty good prices to boot.

Thanks for the name and number.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 200 VRS 350 TBI
My 95 Maristar's mufflers are leaking as well...how much were the replacements(if you don't mind)?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
Way to go

Now THIS is what we're all about
GREAT ADVICE, GREAT FOLLOW THOUGH in helping out new members.
(865) 679 2246 Cph (ANYTM UPTO 9PM EST)
[email protected]

I've got badass '93 MC BF 200 w/ a Yahamie ProV 200.
M O S T A W E S O M E C R A F T E V E R B U I L T
'Luv'n life behind a Barefoot 200'
atlfootr

Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 AM
TT Newbie

If I remember correctly about $120 per muffler. I was planning on putting on some fiberglass patches. After I got them off I filled them with water to see where the leaks were. There were dozens and dozes of little pinhole leaks. Seemed to be a better idea to replace at that point. The 1st set of mufflers that I got from Jim were the wrong model. He took them back with no problem and shipped me the correct ones. After I received the 1st incorrect shipment, I took some photos and sent them to Jim. I think that was helpful. Jim was very helpful and I would definitely do business with him again. Be aware that replacing the mufflers is a dirty job in tight quarters (on my boat) also take a look at the stuffing around the shaft at the thru hull. It may need to be replaced as well.

Good Luck
KLA