Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-18-2016, 10:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-Star
Engine turns over wont crank

I have a 2001 x-star with the LTR and normally it always starts first time like a champ, but yesterday for the first time it wouldn't. Made sure it was in neutral, checked the kill switch, all seemed fine. Did the key on "prime" multiple times to make sure the fuel pump was actually priming and at first couldn't hear it, so after several starting attempts, I removed the back seat that sits over the gas tank and so I could hear it prime and then all the sudden it started fine. Fast forward a few hours and after hanging out we tried to start again and come back to the dock the exact same thing, it would start this time but die immediately, and again tried all the same things and then i removed that seat and it started the very next time. Surely this is a coincidence?? Is there any way, that me removing the seat affected something, airflow to the pump, some hose, etc??? I am at a loss right now, like I said, this has never happened before, plus I just had the fuel pump replaced about 10 hours ago. Once it gets started, it seems fine. Any help would be great!!! Thanks
Old 07-18-2016, 11:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
Check the wire harness/plug for the fuel pump. Are you wiggling it when you remove the seat? These have been known to be problematic.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:37 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-Star
nope, didnt touch anything under the seat, just removed it.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
That's the only thing that comes to mind that removing the seat may affect. I would disconnect and inspect the fuel pump harness plug for corrosion/poor connection or possibly arcing. If all is well there then possibly the in-tank connections or fuel pump relay.