Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-09-2017, 05:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 Maristar 230VRS---350MCX
Synthetic 15W-40 in the transmission

Let me start by saying "I am" running synthetic oil in my engine.
My buddy is an Amsoil dealer and I get a really good price on the oil.
The price difference between a Rotella oil change and an Amsoil oil change, is $9
For $9 it makes me feel better. Please let's not start another dino versus synthetic debate.

My boat has the Hurth 630 V drive in it. It currently has 15W-40 in it rather than ATF.
I plan on continuing running engine oil in the trans rather than ATF.

My question is, is there any reason I "shouldn't" run synthetic 15W-40 in the transmission?
I would prefer to run the same thing in the trans as I do in the engine. And again, price is not the issue. I just want to make sure I'm not going to harm anything in the transmission by running synthetic engine oil.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 07:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X1 RTP
IMO, the best thing to look at is the API classification. The big issue I'm aware of (from my motorcycle days) is to NOT use energy saving rated oil with wet clutches, it makes​ them slip. Otherwise, not sure about the Amsoil vs. Rotella. I personally use Rotella in everything I can.

Edit: What does your Amsoil buddy say? Amsoil has some tech resources I believe.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I would try to get in touch with Hurth. They will be the experts. I've never tried to contact them but here is a link.

https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/m...-inquiries.jsp
Old 05-11-2017, 11:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
There have been a couple of threads on this over the years. Some of these transmissions are a little on the noisy side. I have actually thought about doing this to mine as well. I am curious to know if anyone who has switched from ATF to 15W40 motor oil has noticed a difference/reduction in transmission noise. Mine makes a distinct whine/howling noise. A friend of mine as the same boat, but 2 years newer, has hardly any noise coming from his transmission. See the PDF attachment below.

Sorry for the threadjack, but hopefully this answers you question.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SV2001-2 Hurth Trans Noise.pdf (23.6 KB, 74 views)

Authorized Dealer for
Old 05-12-2017, 05:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsturvey View Post
I am curious to know if anyone who has switched from ATF to 15W40 motor oil has noticed a difference/reduction in transmission noise. Mine makes a distinct whine/howling noise.

Joe
I switched my 2000 XStar from ATF to 15W40 and noticed a decrease in noise. I ran it this way for over 5 seasons with no known side effects. It still made the usual clunking noises, but they were more muted.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:29 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Then run Rotella 15W40 in both which is what a lot of us do for many years without issue.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:07 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
My question is, is there any reason I "shouldn't" run synthetic 15W-40 in the transmission?
I would prefer to run the same thing in the trans as I do in the engine. And again, price is not the issue.

Thanks
I switched to synthetic in my transmission and engine this year. (Mobil 1 10W-40). This is how I justified it:

I was able to track down a ZFHurth representative a few months ago who said "all they can recommend for my transmission is ATF." I looked at their list of approved fluids and noticed they have other transmission models that are approved for motor oil......some of which ARE synthetic (Mobil Delvac is one of them). I'm guessing if there was a reason to not use synthetic, they wouldn't use it in the other transmission models.

Here's the approved fluids list:

http://www.tadiesels.com/assets/docs..._Oil_Specs.pdf
Old 05-13-2017, 06:02 AM

All models are not the same and I would bet not all the clutches are the same. So what is ok for one model may not be true for the others.

Last edited by CantRepeat; 05-13-2017 at 10:51 AM. Reason: bet
Old 05-13-2017, 10:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Appreciate the feedback. Now my next question...what is the method/procedure for a trans oil change. TSR did the change a couple of years ago, and I have never done it before. Done quite a few thread searches and there are many on switching to 10W40, but I cant seem to find a "how to".

Authorized Dealer for
Old 05-13-2017, 10:53 AM

You either put a tube down the dip stick hole or pull the filter and put a tube down there and suck out the oil.