Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-03-2015, 06:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
HELP!! Starting issue

1993 ps190. It does nothing when I turn the key. But my clock turns when the key is on off position but stops when its in on position. And also the nav light comes on when I turn the key to on position when the switch is off. Anyone have any ideas on what it is before I start throwing parts at it?
Old 05-03-2015, 06:36 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
#1 - safety lanyard
#2 - battery wires - check resistance - could be corroded.
#3 - check battery - may not have enough for starter load
#4 - remove starter and bench check - could be bad solenoid or failed starter

....so far no parts bought.

Is there a main breaker or fuse on 1993? check that...

#5 - check neutral safety switch.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
My lanyard is bypassed. Just checked the battery and terminals. Both are good. The starter isn't a year old but wouldn't hurt to check it. The main breaker isn't tripped
Old 05-03-2015, 10:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
It sounds to me like you have a short, a bad ignition switch or something has been wired incorrectly. If it worked fine last summer and you haven't touched the wiring, you can probably rule out the third one.

Your navigation lights come on when you turn the key to the off position, I don't think there is anything in your starter that could cause that. The good news is you probably aren't going to be out much money in parts. The bad news is you are going to have to do some work.

You have current flowing in an unexpected path and you are probably going to need to start tracing wires and looking for the problem. Take your start lead (probably yellow with a red stripe) off the ignition switch and turn it to the on position and see what happens. Do your navigation lights come on? Take the run lead (purple wire?) off the ignition switch and do the same. Pull your switch panels forward and take a look behind them. Check the grounds with a test light. Put the key in the on position and see which navigation wire has current, the positive or the ground. You have a some things to check out. Any evidence of rodents over the winter?

I once had an 84 Cherokee where the radio would turn on when you turned on the headlights. The radio would be in the off position and as soon as you turned on the headlights, the radio came on and sounded like it was trying to tune a station 1000 miles away, full of static. It turned out that the wiring harness in the lift gate was worn out where it bent when you opened the gate. The wires for the license plate bulb were shorted to the lift gate speakers and back feeding the radio. Strange happenings can have a simple solution.

Last edited by Table Rocker; 05-04-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-10 2005, MCX 5.7
It's a PITA, but TB is right, chase the wires. The good thing is your problem is not intermittent so once you figure it out you'll be good to go...

I had an issue with my boat. You turn the key, no power at the dash, dead key, no horn or instruments, but ballast pumps work. I jiggled some wires behind the dash and it seemed I had a loose plug on the back of the breaker. All seemed good until a couple of weekends ago, she started right up at the ramp, off the trailer I go, tow vehicle gone, then she dies... Same problem again, after a few minutes power returns and all is good.
When we got home I went back under the dash trying to duplicate the issue with no luck...
PITA...
Old 05-04-2015, 07:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
You have a short somewhere if a switched circuit is turning on without the switch in the on position. As TB states if everything was OK last year and you haven't added anything wiring should be good.

Check to make sure you haven't mixed up any wires when you installed the battery, like mixing up a ground wire in with the positive wires. Rodents also make great wiring problems so start inspecting the condition of the wire and focus on areas that have be damaged. Lastly the switch is the only moving part that connects the various circuits. Moving parts always make for problems and the ignition switch would be very suspect in this situation.