Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-16-2004, 04:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Replacing Carpet

I need to replace the carpet on my trailer. I am a bit concerned b/c the trailer is on '02 model and there is a serious rip down one side. I really thought it would last longer than this.

Does anyone have any recommendations on carpet to replace it with, what to avoid, or any tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-16-2004, 05:33 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
You can use the olefin marine carpet available at lowes or home depot. It's wide enough to do four bunks. I'd also recommend doubling up the carpet, i.e., two layers on the top part of the bunks. In other words, cut strips that will sit only on the top of the bunks and a little over the side, then wrap the bunks with carpet over the strips. Sometimes if the boat comes in a little hot, it can burn the carpet and leave this plastic-feeling line where the fiber fuses together. Not sure if this causes it to wear out a little faster or what. I just like the idea of having a little extra cushion under it. That way, when the top layer rips, and I notice it, I can get the boat home and still have cushion enough underneath for another launch to replace the carpet.

Also, use stainless steel staples.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:38 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Cousin Jeff

What Doug said..
Old 08-16-2004, 05:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209, MCX, custom ballast, tower
Cousin Jeff

What MarkP said...
Old 08-17-2004, 01:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Thanks very much guys for your input. It is great to be able to throw a question out there and get so many replies.

As a matter of fact, what East TX skier said is exactly what happened. The carpet on the bunks was "burnt" and I think it just weakened it. Oh well, just need to replace it. Not that big of a deal.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:24 PM
MC Hero

What Dan said.

I think the only way to avoid the burn is to come in really slow. I haven't figured out how slow yet, but the extra cushion seems to let the carpet give a little more so the fusing doesn't occur. Also, it helps to drop the whole bunk under the water before loading so that it is good and wet.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:38 PM
MC Addict

I think the wet bunks help the most. I come in slow for other reasons, (no brakes) ..

Old 08-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Leroy

How fast do you come in Doug? PP still engaged?

Of course I guess if you could actually drive straight on the trailer you could come in hot like that.....never been able to do that, I tend to look like someone sliding into 3rd base
Old 08-17-2004, 04:11 PM
MC Hero

I come in pretty slow (no Perf. Pass)

I'm in and out of idle on the run up and put it in neutral when the tip of the boat passes through the guide poles. When the bunks straighten everything out, I run it up slow as I can get it to go.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 08-17-2004, 04:12 PM
MC Addict

[quote=Leroy]How fast do you come in Doug? PP still engaged?

LOL, That would burn the carped..