Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
Inland Surfer BlueLake or Red Woody surfboards??

Trying to decide on a Surfboard, Does anyone have either of these surfboards and which one do you prefer
Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 197
My new Red Woody showed up today! Can't wait to get it wet this weekend. There is an obvious difference between the Hyperlites I have owned(Landlock and Broadcast).
Attached Images

19 Mastercrafts and counting
Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
i have had the blue lake for 3 plus seasons. it has been a great board.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 PS 190, 02 Wakesetter VLX
I have a blue lake and it is a great beginner to intermediate board, and for bigger riders. I now ride a Hyperlite coax that is smaller and quicker. The Blue lake is waaayyy better than other 5'6" boards out there like the Landlock.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdude View Post
My new Red Woody showed up today! Can't wait to get it wet this weekend. There is an obvious difference between the Hyperlites I have owned(Landlock and Broadcast).
Thanks DatDude, I am leaning torward the Red Woody because it is a little bigger board and I like the looks of the wood finish also
Old 07-24-2009, 05:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
Thanks DatDude, I am leaning torward the Red Woody because it is a little bigger board and I like the looks of the wood finish also

It looked cool online, but pulling that bad boy out of the box....it is awesome looking. Hopefully it surfs as well as I think it will. I will post after I have a chance to ride!

19 Mastercrafts and counting
Old 07-24-2009, 07:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
Trying to decide on a Surfboard, Does anyone have either of these surfboards and which one do you prefer
I have the blue lake and a smaller Inland Surfer Skim-4 - haven't tried the Red Woody, though I sometimes wish I had it. I think you'd find the right answer depends on you, your wake, and your preferred style. As a general rule, smaller boards are more nimble, and spin better, are capable of more tricks and aggressive riding, but need a combination of a smaller rider, bigger wave, and more skill to be able to free surf. As the rider gets bigger or less skilled or the the wave gets smaller, you need to increase the size of the board.

I weigh about 210, my boat has an excellent wave, and my skill level is medium and I find the Blue Lake can be touchy to free surf - small mistakes can cause me to lose the wave, and I'm a little limited in how aggressive I can try to surf or risk losing the wave. My skim board is super nimble, but at my weight its nearly impossible to free surf it. Lower skilled riders my size have problems doing anything but cruising, and 170 -180 lb riders with my skills do really well - better than me as they can make a mistake or two and not lose the wave so easily.

The Red Woody looks similar in design to the Blue Lake, just bigger, so I'd guess it would be a fun board for somebody over 200# or if your wake is only so so. If I had it to do over again, at my weight I would go with the Red Woody as I think it would be better suited to improving my skills... then once I got much better and the size of the board started limiting my surfing, I'd drop down to the Blue Lake. If I didn't have to worry about $ and storage space on the boat, I'd love to have both.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 14 xstar
Don't mean to threadjack, but what's the consensus on the hyperlite coex? I'm coming from the Ronix stage, beginner style board, need something much more aggressive.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
I have the red woody, it is great. Rode it same day, same wake with a hyperlite broadcast. The red woody is hands down easier to find and stay in the sweet spot. I'm no looking for tricks, just surf when there are too many tubers or too windy to wakeboard so can't comment on ability to do tricks.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I have both boards and weight 210. You can ride the red woody all day with a medium wake, you'll need a bigger wake with the Blue Lake. We ride behind my 07 X2 with full center tank, full left tank and a full V Drive sac in the left storage compartment. No problem what so ever riding with the Blue Lake at my size. So much that so I don't even take the Red Woody with us anymore. Both are very good boards and fun to ride. Just depends on what kind of riding you're looking to do.

There's a great video of Inland Surfer's team rider riding their latest Skim Board on You Tude if you haven't seen it yet.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq33HyFLkFc