Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-01-2005, 04:23 PM
TT Newbie

Fuel gauge pegged to full

'89 Tristar 190. Ran great this past weekend, but unless I'm getting the best mileage of all time, my fuel gauge is pegged to full and won't budge. When I turn the ignition off, it goes to empty, but as soon as I turn the key it stays on full. I had the sending unit in the tank replaced at the end of last season, and the gauge worked fine during the first couple of outings this year.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 351
I think you need to look at your wiring. Usually a pegged guage means a short between the power supply (pink wire I think) and the ground. Make sure everything is connected properly. If it is then I would look at the sending unit to see if something is stuck and not allowing the float to lower down out of the full position.

Just a couple thoughts. I just replaced my sending unit because my guage red empty all the time. New sending unit and I'm good to go.

Bruce
Old 06-04-2005, 10:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
My fuel gauge is not working properly either.
It jumped around for awhile, now it just shows about an 1/8 of a tank even after I filled it with 15 gallons.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
Both of these problems sound like the float in the sender is stuck in the tube or magnets have come loose. There are quite a few posts somewhere here on disassembling the sender, sanding the float/ regluing the magnets. Do a search for the topic. I did this diy fix last summer and it took care of the problem. I suppose at some point I'll be looking at getting a new sender but after the fix, everything seems be working as it should.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:21 PM
r69mastercraft

I tried doing the Fix about glueing the Magnets on, but i only had 1 Magnet and my replacement Mag must not be strong enough. Has anyone tried the cheaper fuel sending untis ? Does anyone know these won't work ? The replacement for the Tube one is $100+ I can grab the cheaper replacements for $20 bucks !!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Leroy

More fuel gauge problems? Boats and Jeremy's truck!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Pro Star 190, 1992 351 Powerslot grey and red on white
My 90 Pro Star had a similar problem. I hadn't tightened the screws holding the guage into the tank enough and the guage stuck on the top of the tank. It would read out of the tank so I knew it wasn't the sending unit. It could be lots of things but this fix was quick cheap and effective.

Good Luck
Old 06-21-2005, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 351
I replace mine with one of the $20.00 teleflex sending units. It seems to work fine. I just did it recently so I can't comment on the longevity.

Good luck

Bruce
Old 06-22-2005, 12:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
I replaced mine with the expensive one and after I dialed it in correctly my gauge works great....
Old 06-22-2005, 12:35 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Here is a weird problem for you:

When I turn on my navigational lights, my fuel gauge pegs itself all the way to full and my tach stays at the last RPM before turning on the lights!
Any other time, the fuel gauge functions normally w/ lights off.
Anybody have a solution for that one?