Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2009, 02:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
Hydralic Steering on X-Star

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment on the sensitive of the hydralic steering . Mine seems a little hard to turn compared to one that does not have hydralic steering
Old 07-17-2009, 03:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X-Star, Red and Black, L18
i have an 08 xstar with L18 and mechanical steering. my steering (as compared to my frineds 07 X30 LY6 with hydraulic steering) is easier and more geared down, i.e. -responsive. the only time my boat is even remotely hard to steer is when i am returning the wheel back from a hard/powered left hand turn. then some fluid dynamics kick in and i have to use both hands. i have not noticed any type of adjustment on my frineds system. could it be low on fluid?

"Tropic corridor, tropic treasure. What got us this far to this mild equator? We need someone, something new....something else to get us through" (James Douglas Morrison/The Doors)

Last edited by Ole Miss Rebels; 07-17-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30 2007 LY6
No adjustment that I know of. Check your fluid level, burp system for air that's about it. Hyd steering units do require a little more effort than the std rack unit to turn.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
I have asked the same question just recently, and have come to the conclusion that the hydraulic is just a little more stiff to steer, but I still have not filled mine with fluid, and purged any air out. I do think mine is a little low, just have not gotten around to it. It should not be hard to steer, just won't turn with one finger.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-Star 2006 L18
Do you know where you check the fluid level. I have the little cap on the top of the dash. Is that just A vent
Old 07-18-2009, 08:15 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
My previous boat had hydraulic steering. You could spin that sucker in a heartbeat lock-to-lock with one finger. When it got stiffer than that, it meant that there was something wrong with the pump. Fan belt, fluid level, pump failure.

I don't know about MC's hydraulic steering, but many of the power steering systems on boats have some water cooling, which easily gets overlooked in winterization, the result of which is the pump going TU.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
Do you know where you check the fluid level. I have the little cap on the top of the dash. Is that just A vent
Under the little cap, there is a clear tube that then goes to the steering column. You should be able to see some fluid in the clear tube, but the fluid itself is also pretty clear, so look carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
My previous boat had hydraulic steering. You could spin that sucker in a heartbeat lock-to-lock with one finger. When it got stiffer than that, it meant that there was something wrong with the pump. Fan belt, fluid level, pump failure.

I don't know about MC's hydraulic steering, but many of the power steering systems on boats have some water cooling, which easily gets overlooked in winterization, the result of which is the pump going TU.

This hydraulic steering has no pumps, no water cooling, no power. It is just hydraulic fluid in the line instead of a cable, IIUC. But I am sure there is no motorized parts to it.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:47 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 XStar Salt Water Version
I have a 2007 Xstar Salt water edition. The hydraulic steering wheel is very easy to turn and is very precise. Works great...
Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
2008 X-Star with hydraulic steering. A bit more resistance than previous boats' cables, but not a big deal.

What is annoying though is that it takes a (very) small turn of the wheel for it to "click" over from one wheel rotation to the other. That is, it feels like a small gapping and, well, a bit ghetto.

Is this normal and unavoidable on hydraulic steering, or do I need to check on fluid?

Last edited by fbroen; 07-20-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 XStar Salt Water Version
My steering is solid...when turning left to right and right to left....check your hyd fluid...maybe low fluid or air in line....