Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2009, 05:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star TBI 310HP Predator
were you able to get the fuel line off without the special tool. Or is this needed? If so, where do I get this special tool? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 04 TT 197
You can use aftermarket clamps. Any autoparts store will help you out with replacements.
Did you find the other thread with the actual pump replacement?
I didn't need the tool but others have so it can't hurt. I heard they were about $6.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X2 '05 rpt-1
pics

had to cut the black hose cause the clips seem unremovable. i'll make another trip to auto store, but the fuel strainer (inside cylinder) looks dark. see 2nd pic. dirty? I can't seem to remove the strainer or the filter on outside. maybe just reverse-flow wash it with gas? humm...

Old Today, 11:40 AM
MC Addict

I've been concerned reading several of the posts here where people are replacing the fuel line that connects the pump to the regulator. Here's a tip for those of you replacing the fuel pump with these aftermarket pumps: You have to be careful of the hose your use. Not all fuel line is created equal.

If you go to the auto store and ask for fuel line, they'll give you whatever they have in bulk. Might cost you $3 or $4. This is generally going to be a bad thing.

Fuel line is SAE rated, and the ratings are:

Fuels hose types generally available at the auto parts store -

SAE 30R7 is for EFI return line, or carburetor supply (low pressure, non submerged)
SAE 30R9 is for outside-the-tank EFI supply (high pressure non-submerged)
SAE 30R10 is for all in-tank use (high pressure, submerged)

This is very important! When I went to NAPA and asked for fuel injector line, they gave me hydraulic hose. It met the pressure specs, but not the permeability requirements. I asked for the good stuff, and they tried to give me 30R9 ($15 for 18 inches). I noted that that stuff said "Not for submersion in gasoline". When I looked it up, I found that indeed, the 30R9 will swell and crack, and ultimately fail if submerged in gasoline. It will work from the pump module to the injector rail, meets the pressure requirements, but can't be submerged, such as in our MasterCraft fuel tanks.

Just sayin...connecting an in-tank pump requires fuel line that meets SAE 30R10. The stuff is expensive, but the lesser tubing I see many of you using will have a limited life-span in your fuel tank.

The optimal setup I see would be the corrugated, non-kinking stuff that most OEMs are using these days, including MasterCraft in their new fuel pump modules. I can't find a source of that stuff, and autoparts people just give me a blank look when I ask them about it.
Attached Images

Last edited by stu; 07-29-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: hose you need is SAE 30R10 is for all in-tank use (high pressure, submerged)
Old 07-17-2009, 06:12 PM
TT Regular

No rhsprostar, I haven't found the thread. I found boofer's on fuel filter replacement. At my dealer they didn;t seem to think you could purchase the filter alone.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu View Post
No rhsprostar, I haven't found the thread. I found boofer's on fuel filter replacement. At my dealer they didn;t seem to think you could purchase the filter alone.
You can... Filter is about $20.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:19 PM
MC Fanatic

stu
You can buy the filter seperately. I have one sitting in my garage right now. I will grab it and get you the part number. It does have to come from Mastercraft though. It is a dog getting it off.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:48 PM
TT Regular

Ok, thanks, a friend of mine is on the way to get the filter now. dealer told me on phone it was 15 bucks and only replaces the big filter on bottom (screwdriver is pointing to it in pic) and doesn't replace the small round fuel strainer, also pictured, which goes in bottom of the assemble on inside, not on outside like big filter.
Attached Images

Last edited by stu; 07-23-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 PM
MC Fanatic

stu
Good pics. I thought you meant the actual filter. The disc on the bottom is a bit of a mystery. I just reused it.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 PM
TT Regular

hi rhsprostar, I removed the old hose with difficulty and got a new one with clamps. my friend's on the way with a new fuel filter, but the only remaining thing I need to have like-new fuel pump assembly is the fuel strainer, which goes INSIDE the cylinder, on the bottom, (see pics), not to be confused with the mystery disk on the bottom OUTSIDE of the cylinder. Advance auto didn't have any strainers that would work. Any ideas?

thanks for the help.
Attached Images

Last edited by stu; 07-23-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:42 PM
MC Fanatic

No, I think I just reused it if i remember correctly. Yours does look a bit dirty though. What did the dealer say? Do they replace them with routine maintenance?