Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
MC's in NE Ohio on Berlin Lake

I have been skiing in the Northest Ohio area now for 20 years and have owned my MasterCraft since 2001. Most of my time is spent skiing on Berlin Lake back in the chanel area, or part of the river, with by older brother. We started out on his 79 Ski Tique back in 1989 until he sold that in 1998 to do some home updates. We were without a comp boat for a few years until I bought my 1994 ProStar 205 from Rons Marine. One year after that my brother bought his 1999 Ski Nautique. We have spent a lot of time on Berlin and see many comp boats out there. You would only see my MC 50% of the time since I always go skiing with my brother and we switch between boats each trip (makes it hard to get used to a wake since they are different). We worked our way through all the sports starting with 2 ski's, slalom, kneeboard, barefooting, and then finally wakeboarding, which we kind of end up doing all the time now. Just so you know, I am 42 and my brother is 44, so we are not that good at wakeboarding compared to others I see at Berlin, but we have a good time.
All that being said, I see many MasterCraft boats in the area and on the lake, and I wonder how many of you on are this forum? I am sure there are a few that are on here that don't put their boats on either Berlin, West Branch or Milton (which are both North of Berlin), but I would like to hear where you do go. When Berlin gets too low we end up going to Salt Fork, but I see fewer comp boats down there.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-10-2009, 10:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
I have a lot family in the Akron area, and an uncle with a X-9/209. I have been to Salt Fork with them, and it was horrible. They have property on Clarion in PA and go there most of the time, but I have never been. I did a comp on Springfield Lake many years ago when there was Back Bay Marine (?) across the street.

I may try to come up later in the summer, and I will prob be looking for a pull while I am there, especially if I don't have time to go to Clarion with the family.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:16 AM
MC Maniac

Yeah, Salt Fork is a nice lake but completely sucks when a slight breeze hits. Total mess. Its also funny you mentioned Springfield Lake because in our early days we used to hit Portage Lakes and tried Springfield Lake once in my brothers Tique. The funny part of the story was that they had a rule about no speeding after 7PM and we didn't know it. Cops waiting at the dock and ticket time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary K. View Post
I have a lot family in the Akron area, and an uncle with a X-9/209. I have been to Salt Fork with them, and it was horrible. They have property on Clarion in PA and go there most of the time, but I have never been. I did a comp on Springfield Lake many years ago when there was Back Bay Marine (?) across the street.

I may try to come up later in the summer, and I will prob be looking for a pull while I am there, especially if I don't have time to go to Clarion with the family.

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-10-2009, 10:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
Sucks about the ticket. The family with the MC lives almost across the street from Portage Lakes entrance off Manchester, but NEVER go there. Don't remember their reasoning, but it must be bad if you live that close and don't use the lake.

I remember when I went up for the comp, that everybody I talked to thought Springfield Lake was disgusting and nobody from the area could believe I actually would get in the water. I didn't think it was that bad, it was cold as heck though!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 AM
MC Maniac

Portage Lakes is a cruising lake with houses everywhere. They have two small areas that you are allowed to either ski or speed depending on the time of day, then all you can do is go in circles. It sucks for skiing but it is nice for cruising and hitting a bar or dinner on the lake.

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Old 07-13-2009, 09:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 215
Double D- We live in the Akron area (Stow) and primarily use West Branch simply because it is close to home. We usually head out on Friday evening and camp at the state park so that we can get some quality runs in morning and just before sun down. All of the lakes in this area are crazy duing the middle of the day unless it is cold or raining. As water levels drop at Berlin, which seems quite early most seasons, Salt Fok and Lake Seneca stay full. We also head to the Ohio River.

If you are ever out at West Branch, and see our Maristar come up a say hello. We often hide from the wallies that come out mid-day in "swimmers cove" on the south shore of the lake near the beach.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 197 Tournament Team Boat, MCX, Power Slot
Double D - My buddies and I are on Berlin almost every weekend and were there all last week on vacation. I have a 03 197 that is red and white, my buddy (Captain Planet on this forum) has a 30th anniversary 190 and our other buddies have an X2 and a 19 skier. We are usually out in the morning looking for good water and in the afternoon pulling the kids. We all live in the North Canton/Massillon area. If you see us out on the water idle over and say hi, we will look for you as well.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
My wife and I spend most of our time at Westbranch (40th Anniv. PS197) but we get out to Berlin and Portage Lakes a couple of times a year just for a nice change of scenery. Berlin has a lot more going on than Westbranch and it makes for great people watching. We tend to ski mostly at Westbranch and use the other lakes for cruising.
Cruise on over if you ever see us.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:59 AM
MC Maniac

CF-Koch. Thanks for the response. The only time I was ever on West Branch was when I test drove my boat in 2001. We live closer to Berlin and can get there in 45 minutes, and I was not sure if West Branch had any "river type" areas that were good for skiiing. The water level becomes a problem for us about late August depending on rainfall. Some years we never have to go anywhere else but others its off to Salt Fork in August September. We have also gone to the Ohio River in the past down by Stuebenville and a place called Lincoln Park. But its been a few years. Too many things to get hooked on or hit for a fixed shaft boat.
Thanks for the invite and if you ever do make it to the chanel area at Berlin, say hello as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf_koch View Post
Double D- We live in the Akron area (Stow) and primarily use West Branch simply because it is close to home. We usually head out on Friday evening and camp at the state park so that we can get some quality runs in morning and just before sun down. All of the lakes in this area are crazy duing the middle of the day unless it is cold or raining. As water levels drop at Berlin, which seems quite early most seasons, Salt Fok and Lake Seneca stay full. We also head to the Ohio River.

If you are ever out at West Branch, and see our Maristar come up a say hello. We often hide from the wallies that come out mid-day in "swimmers cove" on the south shore of the lake near the beach.

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Old 07-13-2009, 12:57 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
Double D, good to hear from somebody on the lake. As casx2 pointed out, we were out there all last week on vacation and are there just about every weekend. I have the 30th Anniversary 190 and am usually down at the "river" at some point during the day. I remember your Ski Tique, it was white with yellow letters wasn't it?

Anyway, If you see us out c'mon over and say hello. Where do you dock on the lake? I think I remember seeing your boat out on the water, but not parked anywhere.

As for your wakeboarding, you will have to catch up with one of the 17 year olds at our club. He competes in INT tournaments and can really fly. He skiis out on the 19 skier with ballast.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul