Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-16-2004, 12:15 PM
LSU97maristar

engine stalling, really weird

What's up ya'll, I'm a first time owner here, i just bought a used 97 maristar 200. It has only 97 hours on it and I ran it for the first time this weekend and I am already having major issues. After going for about an hour with no problems, the engine begin to sputter anytime it was pushed past idle. If I really tried to go, it happened quickly, if I slowly accelerated, it took a little longer, but if I keep trying to accelerate, the engine sputters out. Also, after this happened, the engine no longer turns off with the key or by pulling the kill switch. Any help is appreciated, I tried changing the fuel filter. The supposedly sat about a year without use. Thanks
Old 08-16-2004, 12:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 205V
Which engine is the boat equipped with?

There is a screen on the intake side of the fuel pump that can cause this issue. It is located inside the fitting. Check it (no fun) also clean out the line...any loose debris will settle down the line until you accelerate and then move up against the screen.

I have seen many a hair pulled out over this.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:01 PM
LSU97maristar

5.7 liter

The engine is the stock 5.7 liter 350. Where is that screen at, how do I get to it exactly?

Last edited by LSU97maristar; 08-16-2004 at 01:02 PM. Reason: wrong words
Old 08-16-2004, 01:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 205V
Is this the TBI (looks like a carburator) or LT1?

The fuel pump is bolted to the back of the engine...this screen is inside the fitting where the fuel line comes into the pump from the tank.

Les Grossman
Old 08-16-2004, 02:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
That's extremely low usage for a boat of that vintage. Unless the fuel system was impeccably maintained through its periods of non use, you likely have a fuel blockage some where. There are extensive threads on this topic on the old site ( not sure how to access them).
In short, start at either end of the fuel system and start checking.
In tank, pickup screen and anti siphon valve, could be gummed up.
Fuel ines could be weak and collapsing under the suction from the ank to pump.
Fuel filter(s) plugged up.
Pickup screen in bottom line for pump clogged.
Injectors plugged.
Low fuel pressure, pump gone bad.

If you can run the boat, start with checking the fuel pressure at the engine.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:12 PM
LSU97maristar

Thanks for your help guys, I'll let you know hat happens with it. Also, do you think the probem with the kill switch and ignition switch have anything to dowith this, or just coincidence???
Old 08-16-2004, 09:03 PM
MC Master Poster

I would say the ignition switch issue is coincidental, although I would make sure the volt meter is accurate. If that shows low when the motor wants to kill, it may be related. Pull the ignition switch and check for loose terminals and any that have rotated to the point where they touch one next to it(like the orange wire and the purple wire). I would also look at all connections on the motor, ignition switch, starter(as well as greasing the Bendix), solenoid, neutral safety switch, etc. If it sat for a year, it probably had quite a bit of condensation, too. Not a good thing, but hardly the end of the world.

The safety switch, if it doesn't shut the motor down at all, has either been bypassed or is shorted.