Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Well, I just replaced the main filter and added a second filter at the tank last night. I also cleaned the screen and debris in the fuel tank. I did NOT remove any connections at the pump nor cleaned anything on those connections. It looked to be time consuming last night to completely disconnect everything and clean the screens so I closed it up. After priming the line a few times, the engine started right up but the familiar whine was still there. Is there such a thing as a "normal" amont of whine?

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-23-2009, 12:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Is there such a thing as a "normal" amont of whine?
Only from the wife or girlfriend, the pump should not make any sound except the normal hum.
I bought a new carter fuel pump that looks like it is the exact same, I am going to install it when I get back from my business trip next week, if it works correctly I will post up the number. I paid around 160 for it if I remember correctly. I will check before and after fuel pressures, I am pretty sure it will work. I will then know I have a good working spare. My pump starts to whine a bit when I let the tank get really low so I just keep it above 1/4 at all times. I would really check your inlet screen at the pump, it is a known problem especially if you have never run a pre-pump filter. If proper power and fuel supply checks your pump may be going south.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
So is this the pump I need for my 94' 205 with the LT1 engine?

I found one for $189 & $289 vs. Skidim's $320. Anyone deal with either of these two sites:

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merch..._Code=MER7F-IB

http://www.marineexhaustmanifolds.com/indmar.cfm
I got a response from both vendors:

Marine Exhaust for $289 is a brand new from Indmar

E Basic Power for $189 is a brand new Carter pump

Sounds like viable options......

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-23-2009, 01:24 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcreek View Post
Only from the wife or girlfriend, the pump should not make any sound except the normal hum.
I bought a new carter fuel pump that looks like it is the exact same, I am going to install it when I get back from my business trip next week, if it works correctly I will post up the number. I paid around 160 for it if I remember correctly. I will check before and after fuel pressures, I am pretty sure it will work. I will then know I have a good working spare. My pump starts to whine a bit when I let the tank get really low so I just keep it above 1/4 at all times. I would really check your inlet screen at the pump, it is a known problem especially if you have never run a pre-pump filter. If proper power and fuel supply checks your pump may be going south.
Look forward to the results, thanks!

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-23-2009, 06:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
I second the screen, give it a check. It does not take very much in there to cause issues.

That would be great if the carter pump worked well, I will be interested in the results.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:15 AM
MC Devotee

Well, I finally pulled the fuel pump and checked the screen....wow, what a mess! No wonder my pump was making noise! I pulled out pieces of hair and debris. Here is some pics of the debris.

Also, to confirm, I do have a Carter Fuel Pump so the cheaper one should be just fine.

I did a test run in the driveway and it sounds much better. Before, it was a constant whine but now it is only on occasion. I still will get the other pump as a backup but I think it's going to run much better now!
Attached Images

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 AM
MC Devotee

And here is what I found in the fuel tank as well as the new "cut-in" filter.....
Attached Images

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
Thanks for the fuel tank pics Jeff. What a mess inside the pump, I bet you get your top end back now. Years of having the pump not getting full flow may have hurt it though.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcreek View Post
Thanks for the fuel tank pics Jeff. What a mess inside the pump, I bet you get your top end back now. Years of having the pump not getting full flow may have hurt it though.
Yea, I suspect so too. I am going to get the Carter pump for $189 as a backup. My local dealer wants $400.....

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-29-2009, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
Wow, look at that. Good stuff. That should take care of your whining but it may have done some damage running like that for that long so I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually died on you.

Any chance you have a part number for that pre-pump filter. I do not have one on my rig but I would like add it.

That is great that the cheaper pump works. I suspect mine is going to die in the next year or so and I don't like the idea of dropping $350 on a new one.