Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2009, 08:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 MC X9 310
Send a message via AIM to jberylec Send a message via Yahoo to jberylec
super high temp in no wake zone

Anyone know of a write-up on changing out the impeller on an 2001 X9? And also for checking the strainer?

I highly doubt there was something blocking the intake, this happened in a very clean lake, there was not much debris. I checked after pulling the boat out of the water, looked clean to me.

Temp was creeping up on 240 by the time I noticed. So I shutdown and let her cool, then limped back to the dock :-(

Think anything else could have been damaged from getting that hot momentarily?
Thanks in advance...
Old 01-17-2009, 08:58 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
There is a ton of information here on Team Talk about impellers and strainers, but I think the best info is in the owner's manuals. I'd recommend downloading the 2004-or-later owner's manuals and looking at those procedures. 2005 or 2006 have the best pictures, IMHO.

It would also likely be helpful to download the Indmar owner's manual.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Your impeller may be damaged. Fine when up at speed, but not pumping enough water at idle speeds. Check your impeller.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X25 SS, 2009 CSX SS
Send a message via AIM to Waterski-Marcoisland
i agee. make sure you pull the impeller out of the hosing and inspect it. the back side of the impeller may be damaged. looks fine in place......but tore up on the inside
2011 X25 Power Tower Ilmor
2010 CSX 265ss twin LY6
2009 CSX 220ss with MCX T-top
2007 CSX 220ss MCX Tower Pkg
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Which motor?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:16 AM
TT Regular

Thanks for the suggestions everyone...
It's the Predator 310HP

Anything damaged by getting close to 240??

We'll pull the impeller and check it out...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 AM
TT Regular

Only has 120 hours!!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 AM
MC Master Poster

Damage? It's possible. Gaskets and rubber exhaust parts don't like those temperatures and if the cooling system got no water at all, the 240 degrees you saw was only at the temperature sensor. The oil and filter absolutely have to be changed, too. High temperature breaks the oil down and it loses its ability to lubricate as well as it should.

FYI- if it overheats, shutting it down for a few minutes and "limping home" doesn't do much good. Cars have a radiator and unless that ir a hose ruptures, the motor will still have coolant in it to keep the motor's temperature more consistent. If a raw water pickup clogs or the impeller dies, the motor gets nothing and can overheat very unevenly, causing a lot of stresses. Unless you're in real danger, shut it down, open the motor box and replace the impeller or find the cause of the overheat before starting it again. Cold water going into an already overheated motor can crack the castings. When you buy the impeller, get two and don't just buy it without the gasket.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:29 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
First thing to do if when the engine overheats, or runs at higher-than-normal temps is pull the lower hose off the transmission cooler. There's a strainer there. If you find weeds, clear 'em. If you find rubber pieces or if the transmission cooler strainer is clear, you need to pull your impeller because it's likely toast. If you're going to pull the impeller to check it, you might as well replace it (for $30). To change, remove the 4 brass bolts holding the cover on, pull the impeller straight off its splined shaft. Toss it and the gasket. Put some NevRseeze or grease on the shaft and slide the new one on, matching the folding of the vanes to the rotation..helps to lube it up with some dish soap, glycerine, food grade silicone grease. Yes, the inside of the pump housing is eccentric...flat on the hose side. Be careful bolting the cover back on, the bolts are soft (brass).

Second thing to do after an engine overheat is paddle the boat back home, or get it towed. I think it's a BIG mistake to try to limp home on an engine with a non-functional cooling system.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Once to job of changing the impeller has been mastered, it all the more reason to carry a spare new impeller and the proper tools on board to change right there in the middle of the lake. It's normally no more than a 15 minute job on a direct drive.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.