Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2009, 12:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 92 maristar 240 open bow 496 chevy samson tower samson speakers
Incorrect starter rotation

I wanted to share this experience to help others that may have this same problem. My mobile mechanic installed a rebuilt carb and new starter in my 92 maristar 240 on Saturday. When he tried to start the motor gas sprayed up out of the carb. No exhaust pressure was felt at the exhaust manifold. It was like all the exhaust pressure was being forced back up through the carb.He checked compression in all cylinders and all read about 160. No valves were sticking on inspection. He was sure it was some kind of blockage problem in the carb. When he removed the distributor cap and was checking the firing order of the cylinders he realized that the rotor was turning counter clockwise- the wrong direction. He realized the starter he installed was rotating the motor the wrong direction!!

Has this happened to anyone else? To say the least I have lost some confidence in my mobile mechanic. I hope others can learn from this experience.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-10 2001 ltr
maybe the part was boxed wrong, at least he found out the problem before ripping the motor apart. Things sometime happen that are out of our control.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1991, 351w
Be CAREFUL!!!! You could have pulled water back through the exhaust manifold into the cylinders.