Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2009, 09:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 95 prostar 190
95 prostar 190 won't restart

the last 2 times i have had my boat out we have ran it for a while and then parked it on the beach and when we try to start it it won't start.. i thought it might be the fuel pump cause everytime i turn the key on you usually here the pump kick on, and then when i here the pump kick on it still dosen't start.. i have checked the kill switch and it seems to work fine cause everytime you unplug it and plug it back in you here the fuel pump kick in...it sounds like it's not getting spark...and then after like 10-15 min of trying to start it it starts and runs fine...any sugestions?

mike
95 prostar 190 fuel injection 350 indmar
Old 06-20-2009, 10:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 08 Mastercraft Tournament Team 197
My 95 PS 190 had the same problem a few years ago, It was the fuel pump in my case.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:12 AM
TT Newbie

the only problem is i see fuel injecting in the carb when trying to start
Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 205 prostar
If you can hook up a timing light and see if you have spark,try cracking the throttle open slightly and see if it starts.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:27 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenda View Post
the only problem is i see fuel injecting in the carb when trying to start
You need fuel to spray into the throttle body in order for it to start. What you probably don't have is spark.

How flat is this beach? If it's extremely flat, you may have picked up sand or other material and if it's in the motor's water jacket, you need to flush it out, immediately.

Next time, open the motor cover while you're not running it and see if this helps. If it does, stop beaching the boat and use the blower before starting it, to cool the air in the bilge. If it's extremely hot when this happens, the motor is experiencing "heat soak" and the ECM may think it's overheated.

When was the last time you cleaned your flame arrestor?
Old 06-21-2009, 01:44 PM
TT Newbie

i haven't cleaned the flame arrestor i have checked it and it seems clean... it seems like it has done it when the boats hot... it happened last sunday once and then yesterday.. it started after a few minutes... i was thinking maybe the coil was overheating.. it only runs like 140-150 tempature wise.. and when i am trying to start it when it's not starting it says it's only like 180...
Old 06-21-2009, 02:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
i haven't cleaned the flame arrestor i have checked it and it seems clean... it seems like it has done it when the boats hot... it happened last sunday once and then yesterday.. it started after a few minutes... i was thinking maybe the coil was overheating.. it only runs like 140-150 tempature wise.. and when i am trying to start it when it's not starting it says it's only like 180...
How long since you changed/checked your impeller or cleaned the oil cooler?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 PM
TT Newbie

changed the impellar like 5-6 weeks ago and i have a water seperator before the oil cooler... just wondering what that would have to do with not getting spark...
Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
changed the impellar like 5-6 weeks ago and i have a water seperator before the oil cooler... just wondering what that would have to do with not getting spark...
If the motor overheats, the wiring harnesses laying across the top of the motor can melt and short to anything that conducts electricity and some of the wires can cause it to not start and because nothing has been posted about previous service history, I asked.

How old are the cap and rotor? Do you have access to a multi-meter and a timing light?

Did you check all of the fuses on the motor? One of them is specifically for the ignition system.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
After all those awesome suggestions (which I didn't read every one) this one will sound stupid but by 94 PS205 used to have a similar sounding problem. It would start fine the first time, then after running it for a while I would shut it down and it wouldn't even turnover, even though it seemed like it wanted to, or sounded like it wanted too. After it would cool down it was usually fine. Then one day I was on the Ohio River and it did the same thing. My neighbor towed me back to his dock and we started digging into it. Wound up being the Starter!?!?! Once I replaced that it never happened again.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams