Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: None yet
2004 Maristar 230

Looks like I will probably pull the trigger today...Spent last weekend looking at some used Bu's and Nautiques....I think this is the best deal and looks like a solid boat....Hope to be in "the club" soon....Thanks to those who offered opinions on my previous questions...
Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
congrats you made a great choice.

now make sure you post up some pics as soon as you get it.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:54 AM
TT Newbie

Gonna go test drive later today again, just to make sure...Only thing I am concerned about is the wake for wakeboarding and possibly wakesurfing.....But the whole of the deal may make up for it if it's not the best thing....
Old 06-18-2009, 10:59 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
I like mine. Do consider changing out your rudder to the '06 style. Significantly improves the handling of that big boat.

If you have ballast and a tower, it will be an excellent wake boat.

Attached Images

Last edited by bigmac; 06-18-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:06 AM
TT Newbie

It has the tower, but no ballast system......How much is the rudder change costing?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllianceBJJ View Post
It has the tower, but no ballast system......How much is the rudder change costing?
I don't know. My dealer scored it on warranty for me a few years ago and I installed it myself.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 230VRS 330HP
Quote:
Gonna go test drive later today again, just to make sure...Only thing I am concerned about is the wake for wakeboarding and possibly wakesurfing.....But the whole of the deal may make up for it if it's not the best thing....
I have a 99 which I believe has the same hull. We bought it mainly for wakesurfing. From what I could tell, it is a deeper V hull than any of the other 23's up until recently, and configured properly it produces a monster wake.

I'd put the wake our boat makes up against just about anything on the lake with the exception of the 25's, the Enzo's, and I hear the MB B52's. That being said - it is great.

Case in point - went out yesterday morning with another guy. He has an 05 Malibu 23 LSV in a slip just down the street from my 99 Maristar. We could take either boat - but we take ours because the wake is that much better - no comparison. (He could improve his with some work, but would need a complete redo of the ballast setup).
Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
TT Newbie

Guess it just will take a while to figure out how many and where to put some fat sacs or something to get a suf wake right....Like I said, the deal is pretty good, so makes the thing hard to pass up...
Old 06-18-2009, 12:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 230VRS 330HP
Quote:
Guess it just will take a while to figure out how many and where to put some fat sacs or something to get a suf wake right....Like I said, the deal is pretty good, so makes the thing hard to pass up...
I'll make it easy for you...

750 in each side V locker, 400lb in the ski locker. That alone makes a big enough wake to go without the rope, albeit a short and steep pocket (which is super-fun).

Add another 750 manually filled in front of the back seat, and throw another 400lb in the bow and you have a wake that will envy most on the lake.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanczak View Post
I'll make it easy for you...

750 in each side V locker, 400lb in the ski locker. That alone makes a big enough wake to go without the rope, albeit a short and steep pocket (which is super-fun).

Add another 750 manually filled in front of the back seat, and throw another 400lb in the bow and you have a wake that will envy most on the lake.
Holy crap...I've got a '98 23footer...I didn't think it was feasible to add that much in ballast to the boat. I put two 400's in each side of the V locker and 440 in the front....my wakeboard wake is pretty steep, but that will allow us to surf no problems. I'd love to see a pic of your surf wake with that much weight in it.

So you're saying that you're putting
1500 lbs VDrive locker
750 lbs in front of back seat
400 lbs ski locker
400 lbs bow
-------
3050 lbs of ballast...OMG, that's what the boat weighs. Gotta see some pics, if it looks as good as I suspect, i'll be making a trip to the store ASAP for some additional bags.

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!