Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 03-01-2015, 12:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 TT
Ski Tech Question

Alright I am skiing on an old slalom ski. My dad bought me my ski when I was 14(HO mach 1 double boot). I am now 33. The size of the ski is still good for me (66") I am a light guy. I am a downhill ski coach, and if I was still on mid to late 90's slalom snow ski I wouldn't be competitive at all. My question is how much happier would I be on a brand new slalom water ski (High end radar or ho)? Have they gotten that much better? I plan to demo whatever Midwest Mastercraft has on hand this spring. Both sports translate well to each other in terms of line and timing so I consider myself a fairly strong slalom(water) skier. Maybe I am wrong. Should I stick to what I am used to or move on? There is a slalom course on my lake and I ski it regularly. I just bought my first inboard boat, but have skied behind many before.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Same difference in 20 years old alpine skis as in waterskis.
A lot better! You will notice the difference right away.
What speed do you ski?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 AM
TT Regular

34 give or take a few mph as my old boat was a Bayliner, not exactly an accurate machine. I am looking forward to a more consistent pull with the 197tt with perfect pass.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:30 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Have you checked ski-it-again ?
Lots of good deals!
http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...ategory=Slalom
Good ski reviews... http://www.ballofspray.com/forum
Have you skied your 197 yet or is it new to you?
World of differences with your old Bayliner...
You're thinking of new bindings too?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
I am by no means an accomplished skier but I have progressed through three skis in the last three years. Started on a single combo ski with the goal that I could treat myself to a new ski only once I had a solid basis of control, reasonable form crossing the wake and the ability get up every time. From there I went to an HO Freeride since there is not a course where I ski. This was a big improvement and a fun ski--we use it as our slalom trainer now since it's wide, easy and fun. Last summer I upgraded to an HO CX Superlite which is based on the same build tech as their high end course skis, but is shaped a bit differently for open water and recreational skiing. This was a massive change from the Freeride and I am confident I will have many seasons of use before I approach this ski's limits. FWIW, my ski buddy who uses an S2 skied it last summer and stated it might even be his next ski as he also no longer skis a course (although he certainly could--terrific skier)!

FYI, I am behind a 197 as well.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:36 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Do you have a budget and what are your ski goals? I have a 69" 2012 HO Coefficient X SL with Animal bindings which I love... working on course skiing going forward and also upgraded from a FreeRide ski - was a major difference... Got a 68" Vtype with Vmaxx bindings just because... can't wait to get into the course at Liquid Edge, Essex Recreation Club (hopefully) a few times, and some other courses.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:32 PM
TT Regular

I have not skied the boat yet. We picked it up late in October, but we did take it out a few times. There isn't really a budget. I am guessing my wife would have a hard time going over 1k. I would go with new boots.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Find an old stock 2013 or 14' S2 or A3 or a radar strada or vapor, and dont look back. Same analogy with the snow ski's to water ski. If its more than two models old, the new version is much better! Ski it again is a good source to find last years high end ski for half price. New bindings and a new ski will be a huge change, so don't get discouraged if you don't ski well on it at first.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:46 AM
TT Regular

My lake has a course, so I plan to spend a lot of time in it. I guess I really don't have any goals. Maybe over the next summer I'll come up with some. Here is a slalom downhill video of me if anyone is interested.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...08997101268221
Old 03-02-2015, 08:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I am certainly no expert skier but have been skiing for quite some time and have gone through my share of skis. Much of what applies to downhill applies to slalom when it comes to picking out the right tool for the job at hand. We all like buying high end gear and the status that appear to go along with it but it's important to be truthful with yourself on your abilities and accurately access what you plan to use the ski for. So start asking yourself these questions and try to be truthful with yourself on the answers.......

Are you a highly skilled tournament skier skiing at shorter line lengths?
Do you ski in near perfect water conditions on the course most of the time?
What is the intended speed you plan to ski at and at what line length?
Do you plan to use the ski for recreational, open water skiing and will this be your only ski?

Unless you are planning to ski the course at short line lengths and higher speeds the vast majority of the time and can feel the difference in minor adjustments like boot placement and wing adjustments you probably don't need or will benefit from a $2000 ski package.

If you're like many of us and have solid skills, want to progress but still ski at 32 - 34 and mostly ride in open water conditions a considerable amount of time I would recommend looking more at the "entry high end" skis like the Radar Senate Carbon and the vector boots. It's a great performance ski that you can still use in less than ideal conditions and it won't want to take your life if you screw up a little coming over the wake a little out of shape.