Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 1999 ProStar View Post
Hey guys,

Good read this thread. I have a question does your water pump bounce around like crazy? I have a 1999 ProStar with LTR. I did get the new bracket for the lower part of the water pump which is a two piece connection. However my pump just seems to move way to much! Do you guys have this issue? It makes the boat vibrate alittle. At lower speeds and at idle is when I hear/see it the most.

Any insight? Am I missing anything?

Thanks
PT
Loosen the three machine screws and shift the raw water pump to a more neutral position.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 MC x-30
This is sad, our boat went through about 6-8 alternators over the course of a few years and none of the mechanics could figure it out. And now all of a sudden I found out about a service bulletin addressing the exact issue I had. Great!

Last edited by mcrowe; 08-04-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 MC x-30
This is sad, our boat went through about 6-8 alternators over the course of a few years and none of the mechanics could figure it out. And now all of a sudden I found out about a service bulletin addressing the exact issue I had. Great!

Last edited by mcrowe; 08-04-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 79 Hydrasport
I received the new bracket and pulley from the dealer Tuesday. I will try to get some pictures of the two pulleys side by side before I install. I hope this is the end of my belt/water pump/alternator trouble.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowe View Post
The bulletin was for belts shredding, not alternator failure. How many accessories were added, does it have more batteries and how much current did the added accessories draw? If the bearings went out, it could have been excessive belt tension, too.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The bulletin was for belts shredding, not alternator failure. How many accessories were added, does it have more batteries and how much current did the added accessories draw? If the bearings went out, it could have been excessive belt tension, too.
An alignment problem will kill accessories. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
An alignment problem will kill accessories. Ask me how I know.
I understand that but I never heard of high numbers of alternators failing because of the alignment issue. Still doesn't make it OK that dealers don't know about the bulletins, though.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Loosen the three machine screws and shift the raw water pump to a more neutral position.
Does any one have a pic of the three machine screws.

I have a rattle when I idle, and that might be it.

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem_pss308 View Post
Does any one have a pic of the three machine screws.

I have a rattle when I idle, and that might be it.
If your raw water pump's machine screws are loose, the pump won't stay on for long because the lock washers won't be able to keep the screws from rotating and once they spin out far enough, they'll bend and break because of the belt tension. Also, the belt tension will decrease and you'll see it flapping.

It's not a photo, but you'll see which ones they are if you look at the link- it's the Indmar operator's manual. On pg 42, Fig.4-6 shows the raw water pump and it has three machine screws, each with a hole next to it.
http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactI...Presentweb.pdf
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

New vs. Old