Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-23-2005, 10:03 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
92 PS 205 Winshield post

This thing is really buggin me.....

The winshield post on the observer side is no longered anchored to the dash ( or whatever that is called) the (2) screws are just popping out over any wake....

here is my problem I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get under the thing, it is right next to the glove box but there is no way that I can see to get in there to put some screws w/ nuts???

Any ideas ? I know I havebasically the same boat as East TX skier, but his is in alot better shape....

thanks for any help on this ......
Old 05-23-2005, 10:12 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Welcome.

So it's accessible from under the observer seat? Try pulling a screw and shining a flashlight through the hole. Then lift up your seat and get under there and see if you can find it a little easier. Just guessing. That hasn't happened to me yet. I assume the driver's side is okay? Good luck.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 05-23-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:15 PM
TT Newbie

divers side has clear access already tightened but the observers side I have no clear way to access underneath....

Basically do I have to remove the side panel in the front walkthru to the open bow and if so how does that thing come off ????

Any ideas ?
Old 05-23-2005, 10:20 PM
MC Hero

Lots of things on mine seem to be thru-bolted, which stinks when they get the least bit loose. On the newer 205s, there aren't pads in the walkthrough and it's solid. Not sure if it's solid underneat ours, but that'd be my guess. Get under the observer seat and look for nuts and bolts securing those things in place. You should be able to tell if it's solid on the other side or not (I've never bothered to look).

Does the glove box come out? It's technically a drink cooler, so they might have (and I stress might have) made it removeable. Keep us posted.

By the way, and not to threadjack too much, but have you ever thought about cutting access to the storage under the port-side bow seat from the area under the observer seat? I keep thinking it might be nice to be able to get a ski in there (the newer 205s one long open space.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:30 PM
MC Hero

Okay, I just went down and looked at mine. That's a pickle. The walkthrough pads are held on with little plastic dohickies (I imagine similar to what holds the combing pads on). From the inside, it's all carpeted and feels pretty solid.

So either, you have to access it through the walkthrough pad or that glove box has to come out somehow and it seems to be attached to a lot.

Looks interesting to put a positive spin on it.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 05-23-2005, 10:33 PM
TT Newbie

I dunnow about the glove box, I doubt it is comming out.... my fear is that I crack one of those pieces and can never find a replacement....I will try the flashlight down the (2) holes but it is sealed up pretty well under there.I think you have to go thru thew Vinyl panels in the walkthru but I dont want to just rip it off

As far as the storage, i thought about it but no for me. my boat is a well used 1992 model......it seems like everything is comming loose or broken,... i am starting to think my 13K 2 years ago was alot for this boat.

Tomorrow I will be back in love with my boat but today I kinda want to divorce.....
Old 05-23-2005, 10:37 PM
MC Hero

I've had those moments. I just got out from under my oberver seat and I don't think the flashlight will do you much good afterall. Of course, I've got a bunch of junk under there. I've pretty much rulled out cutting a path, too. I haven' checked my ski locker for water since I hit it with the shop vac at the end of last season. For a while there was always a bit of water down there. If it's become a dry oasis again, I may start using it.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 05-24-2005, 02:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy77
This thing is really buggin me.....

The winshield post on the observer side is no longered anchored to the dash ( or whatever that is called) the (2) screws are just popping out over any wake....

here is my problem I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get under the thing, it is right next to the glove box but there is no way that I can see to get in there to put some screws w/ nuts???

Any ideas ? I know I havebasically the same boat as East TX skier, but his is in alot better shape....

thanks for any help on this ......

I don't know the boat real well, but could you install wellnuts or some other fastener that installs from the exterior and expands beneath the fiberglass upon tightening?
Old 05-24-2005, 03:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
I haven't been able to look at my 94 on this problem. But I did replace the screw in that windshield support some time ago. The old one would just spin in place as the hole had widened out. I just stuck a bigger SS woodscrew in there & it's been fine. Are you sure your supposed to get a nut under there? If you can look in the hole & feel around to the sides, maybe a molly would work.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:24 PM
TT Newbie

I did put bigger screws in there but they stripped the hole out in about 1 month.....I think I am going to try the smallest molly I can find to make this work ....thanks for the idea

I also might try my hand at tightening the winshield screws while I am at it.......