Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2009, 02:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 205V, 2000
Fuel Stabilizers

Most of the time I add STA-BIL to my fuel... Recently they have come out with a marine version that is supposed to help with the ethanol issues. While I was at West Marine I ran across Star Tron (by Starbrite), all of their literature makes the product sound great. Any opinions on the products... use or no use... Do they work? Has anyone used the Star Tron?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:48 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Stabilizers to help decrease fuel oxidation can be helpful for gasoline that is being stored for more than about 4 months, but otherwise fuel and gasoline additives are a waste of money, in exactly the same way that oil additives are nothing but sucker-bait.

The increasingly widespread use of 10% ethanol-based fuel has led to an entirely new additive scam and that is additives that that will "cure all of the problems associated with using ethanol in your boat". It takes advantage of people's skepticism and ignorance about this "new" fuel.

Your boat and its engine are designed to accomodate the use of 10% ethanol. It will cause you no problems if it was manufactured after about 1995. Use additives if you want, however. It's your money to waste.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X-7 MCX
Page iv of the 2005 Mastercraft Owners Guide

"Fuels that are blended to contain methanol or wood alcohol are not to be used in MasterCraft engines. These fuels can corrode some metal parts in your fuel system and engine. Damage caused by the use of unapproved fuels is not covered by warranty. (Page 6-2)"

I only have one station that stills sells non-ethanol gas and it's way across town. Green sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
The increasingly widespread use of 10% ethanol-based fuel has led to an entirely new additive scam and that is additives that that will "cure all of the problems associated with using ethanol in your boat". It takes advantage of people's skepticism and ignorance about this "new" fuel.

Your boat and its engine are designed to accomodate the use of 10% ethanol. It will cause you no problems if it was manufactured after about 1995. Use additives if you want, however. It's your money to waste.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:46 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac197 View Post
Page iv of the 2005 Mastercraft Owners Guide

"Fuels that are blended to contain methanol or wood alcohol are not to be used in MasterCraft engines. These fuels can corrode some metal parts in your fuel system and engine. Damage caused by the use of unapproved fuels is not covered by warranty. (Page 6-2)"

I only have one station that stills sells non-ethanol gas and it's way across town. Green sucks!
Who's talking about methanol? The subject is ethanol.

Page 7-10 of the 2005 MasterCraft owner's manual "Ethyl alcohol or grain alcohol is acceptable for use as long as it is a blend and the blended fuel contains no more than 10% ethanol." FYI, ethyl alcohol is just a slightly different name for ethanol. MasterCraft says it's OK to use ethanol in your boat.

Perhaps you're confusing ethanol with methanol (methanol is the same thing a wood alcohol). The two are completely different compounds. I can't even begin to imagine where you'd be able to buy gasoline with methanol in it.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X-7 MCX
Bigmac,

Thanks for the education! You learn something new everyday. I definately had the two mixed up.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '04 Prostar 197, MCX
A major issue with blended gasoline which has the ability to absorb water is phase separation. The marine stabil and the startron product act to delay this separation.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPlane Pilot View Post
A major issue with blended gasoline which has the ability to absorb water is phase separation. The marine stabil and the startron product act to delay this separation.
It's not a major issue at all. Phase separation will happen with a lot less absorbed water in regular gasoline than it will in 10% ethanol. The ability of gasoline to suspend water is miniscule, whereas alcohol will keep it in suspension and actually act to PREVENT phase separation.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
Tell this to all the guys with yami 2 strokes that keep igniting their motors becuase they store it for a month without use.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Stabilizers to help decrease fuel oxidation can be helpful for gasoline that is being stored for more than about 4 months, but otherwise fuel and gasoline additives are a waste of money, in exactly the same way that oil additives are nothing but sucker-bait.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
Tell this to all the guys with yami 2 strokes that keep igniting their motors becuase they store it for a month without use.......
I'll tell them if they ask, but I've had two stroke snowmobiles (Yamahas) and dirt bikes using 10% ethanol for decades and I don't even know what you're talking about "igniting their motors".

No offense meant, but I think that's baloney. Doesn't even make sense.

Last edited by bigmac; 06-05-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
I was at our local Mastercraft dealer this past week and MC is now reccomending that you use the marine based Stabil all year round. They had a small sign on the service desk.