Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2004, 05:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
trailer tires

I know that it's been talked about before, but I want to know what you guys think about car tires/wheels on a boat trailer.

I'm sure you are all aware of the Malibu Corvette. It's trailer has corvette wheels and corvette tires on it. I know that the load ratings on trailer and car tires are different, but if the load rating on the car tire is high enough, is there any harm in puting them on a boat trailer??

The reason that I ask is that i totaled my Mustang. I had $1,500 worth of tires and wheels on it, and I got to keep them. I'm going to buy a 2005 Mustang late next year and it will take a differen't bolt pattern/offset, so I'm either going to sell them, or find a way to use them (thought about saving them and building a 1934 Ford Coupe). I don't know if they are even the same bolt pattern as my factory trailer wheels (they are currently seized on), but I'm just trying to decide if that's an option.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
I had car tires on my tandem axle trailer for 13 years before they wore out. Towed about 3000 mile per year. Replaced them with trailer tires last year and I do notice they have less bounce to them with the stiffer sidewall but I would not worry about car tires on a tandem axle trailer.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:11 PM
MC Devotee

sorry, my trailer is single axle.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Skier, 1986, 351 240hp, King of slalom boats!
I would say that it depends on how far you trailer and on what type of road. 12 miles to the lake on new pavement, ok. 50 miles through pot-hole riddled interstate doing 80 mph...well, I don't know. They rate those tires for a reason I hope.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:35 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Consider the load rating on your tires off your mustang.
Are they heavy enough for your boats weight including the weight of the trailer, gear, fuel, etc. etc.

The best tire for trailers of our size are Goodyear Marathons. They are a heavier load range than car tires and have stiffer sidewalls too.
If you only have a single axle, I would not use anything else. My friend had an older mastercraft (1994) and he had bias-ply tires on his single axle trailer and couldn't keep tires on it. It really puts a damper on your day!
Old 08-15-2004, 08:53 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Go safe man, Goodyear Marathons. Their is a good thread about this on the old site under trailers.

Here:

http://classifieds.mastercraft.com/m...tml?1090075656
Old 08-15-2004, 09:31 PM
MC Devotee

oh, my tires don't even need replacement, they're almost brand new. I just wanted to put these on 'cause they'd look slick. I'm just always playin' around with ideas to make things cooler. My trailer wheels are just ugly. I'm sure they wouldn't even fit at 9" wide. I just love the way that the vette trailer looks, and those are vette tires, so obviously Malibu wasn't worried about it.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:20 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If it were me, I'd sell them, take the cash, pick up some slick rims, and put some goodyear marathons on them. I went a year not realizing I had car tires. Didn't do a ton on trailering, but the marathons ride better. You've got a lot riding on those tires. People are looking at the boat first and the tires second.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:54 AM
MC Devotee

I'll probably just repaint my current rims, keep my current tires, and use the money from the wheels to save for my '05 Mustang
Old 08-16-2004, 12:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Just to make everyone think " Oh, I had a relatively uneventful trip to the lake this weekend."
Went through three trailer tires yesterday. First one started leaking on the way to the lake. Picked up a rather large Cactus thorn in some gravel that had washed over the road. Sounded like the guy behind me had squealing brakes. No, that was just me f...ing up the side wall on the switchbacks. Changed to the spare after we were done boating. This tire had a patch starting to delaminate (never saw this until I had the spare off its rack, yesterday). Drove gingerly towards home at about 20 mph praying for 50mi of life out of that tire. Only got 10, and smoked it. Dropped the boat and trailer by some guy selling ice and water from his shack on the side of the road. (It's AZ, sells a cup of ice for .50, .75 if he fills it with water.) Drove into town to Super Walmart, got a new tire. Went back, put it on and zoomed toward home. Stopped after 30 mi to check everything was still tight, heard a hissing noise. The new tire had picked up a nail and was losing air. Drove home as fast as I could and by the time I got the gear out of the boat and pulled it in the garage, it was flat too.
Really glad I've got a tandem trailer.