Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 12-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMann View Post
Just finished installing the new 1" grey foam from McMaster. Turned out pretty good. I do have a couple of questions for you guys that have done this. What did you do with that black grate I reinstalled without any foam on the inside (I was afraid it would touch the foam on the engine compartment and not allow air passage) I am thinking about putting the 1" foam on the outside over the screws, what do you guys think? Also When I was reinstalling the cover on the outside the screws want to tear the foam as they go in. What have you guys done to prevent this when reinstalling the cover on the outside? I put one in and it tore the foam as it twisted in.
What do you guys think about how it turned out?
Looks great!... something I will tackle one day...it's a good point..I wonder where all the venting originates in the newer boats...seems like a good reason to head over to the dealer to just look around
Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMann View Post
Just finished installing the new 1" grey foam from McMaster.
Looks good. I too am going to use this style of insulation before I put the engine cover back on. Good job indeed.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 197 TT
Dern you guys...now I ordered some too...
Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225 LT1
My wet/dry vac (inadvertently) made short work of over 1/2 my horribly degraded stock insulation - glad to find this thread!

... is there any reason NOT to also wrap some insulation around the sides of the installed cupholders? Seems like having them be insulated would be nice, (engine sound / keep beverage cold) and of course keeping drip holes open/clear. Maybe I'm not thinking about something like increased condensation or ??
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maristardd View Post

... is there any reason NOT to also wrap some insulation around the sides of the installed cupholders?
Likely no reason why you couldn't . . . but remember the foam is acoustic insulation, not thermal insulation. Don't know if there would be any noticeable difference to the temperature of your favorite brew.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
Motor box insulation

I took mine out and then cleaned the fiberglass. It really isn't that much louder without it. I think it gets in the way more than it helps.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 MasterCraft Prostar 190
Revive and old thread

I ordered the McMaster-Carr foam to replace my 20 YO MC PS190 engine cover foam that has deteriorated to dust. I cant wait to get the new foam in so I can install it. I hope it makes the boat sound like new if not better. If any of the longtime posters from this thread see this
Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
Mine has held up well, you will not be sorry you did it. Looks better, engine stays cleaner, slightly less noisy.

An added benefit of the foil is the reflectivity which makes me glad I went that route. If you are out in a sunny day light gets under the motor box and bounces around so if you are working on something under there is is generally very easy to see without a light. If you are in the garage I just throw a light pointed generally at the foil and it bounces around and you get the same effect.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 MasterCraft Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 725mastercraft View Post
I ordered the McMaster-Carr foam to replace my 20 YO MC PS190 engine cover foam that has deteriorated to dust. I cant wait to get the new foam in so I can install it. I hope it makes the boat sound like new if not better. If any of the longtime posters from this thread see this
Continuing my post...LOL I got so busy yesterday. If any longtime posters see this please let me know how well your repair has help up. I think one person already did. Thanks! I already have got my tracking number from McMaster-CARR. It's a little more expensive these days. I went with the gray foam 1" think and adhesive backing 8' by 54". 75% noise absorption. 149.00 included shipping.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
That's what I used when I did my TriStar. Sold it the next year so I can't comment as to how it held up.