Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Me neither. The backing is pretty sticky.

The key I think is to make sure the surface is completely clean. After removing the old foam remnants I used a wire wheel brush on my drill, cleaned with acetone, then more brushing, and finally wiped down with a damp cloth.

I made patterns for the pieces out of paper and then cut the foam just a bit larger to give myself a margin of error. Once the pieces were installed I trimmed the overage.

Good luck. Post some pics of the result.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 89 prostar 190 454
Just wanted to add my .02 on the MC-Carr foil faced insulation. Did my box last yr and it made a significant difference! Picked up my skiing partner the following morning after install and his immediate response was how much more quiet the boat was. I have a 454 btw
Old 12-17-2011, 07:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: looking to buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack View Post
Craig: It sounds like you purchased the 1" foil face adhesive backed foam @ 14.01 per foot? Where you able to place the foam under the metal strip at the bottom of your engine box or was it too thick? Any other install tips besides buying an '8 section. Any pics? tks, mac
I can not find this stuff unless the company has doubled the price since most of you have purchased this. Can anyone direct me to the part number from this company please? Also, did you purchase the tape from them or from a Lowes or HD? th
Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
http://www.mcmaster.com/#sound-dampers/=fepgpq

The PN is 5692t53 I believe. The website used to be better and easier to see the product.

The foil tape is air duct tape and can be bought at any Lowes / HD.

Eight (8) feet seems to be the standard amount needed for a MC engine box. That's what I'm about to buy.

Last edited by Lumbergh; 12-17-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
I'm pretty sure that this is what I ordered from McMasterCarr

Heavy-Duty Heat Reflecting 60% 1" 54" 5692T53 15.22 (adhesive back)

He's right, their web site isn't as user friendly anymore, you have to create a profile in order to view anything I think....

Search sound absorbing foam

and I too ordered 8' and it was plenty.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Here's the correct URL
http://www.mcmaster.com/#sound-absorbing-foam/=fescyg
I used the 1" easy-clean adhesive back 5692T49 $13.21. It has the highest sound absorption percentage. Post#30 shows my install.
My original foam was not the foil-faced type so that's why I didn't use it for the replacement. Any of the 1" adhesive-back foams McMaster has would likely work fine. I figured the water and oil resistant features weren't important for this application.

Last edited by wheelerd; 12-17-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
Just finished installing the new 1" grey foam from McMaster. Turned out pretty good. I do have a couple of questions for you guys that have done this. What did you do with that black grate I reinstalled without any foam on the inside (I was afraid it would touch the foam on the engine compartment and not allow air passage) I am thinking about putting the 1" foam on the outside over the screws, what do you guys think? Also When I was reinstalling the cover on the outside the screws want to tear the foam as they go in. What have you guys done to prevent this when reinstalling the cover on the outside? I put one in and it tore the foam as it twisted in.
What do you guys think about how it turned out?
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2011, 12:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Looks good. It seems as though you did the same as I did with the breather grill. (See post #30) Just leave it as is now.
As for the outer cover screws tearing the foam . . .
Poke a wire or nail through the screw hole from the outside so that it punctures the foam. That helps to relieve the foam's tension. Sort of like drilling a pilot hole in wood so it doesn't split. You could also use an Xacto knife and make a small X-cut where the screw will come through.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerd View Post
Looks good. It seems as though you did the same as I did with the breather grill. (See post #30) Just leave it as is now.
As for the outer cover screws tearing the foam . . .
Poke a wire or nail through the screw hole from the outside so that it punctures the foam. That helps to relieve the foam's tension. Sort of like drilling a pilot hole in wood so it doesn't split. You could also use an Xacto knife and make a small X-cut where the screw will come through.
I saw your post and it looks like you cut the foam out around the grill. I ran my foam to the oval and cut it out around the oval then put the grill on. I remove the old foam from the grill so there is currently no foam on the grill. I will probably leave it for now but may add a piece of foam to the outside of the grill over the screws. I will see what happens after the first time out this spring. Thanks for the idea on the wire I will give that a shot tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Truth told, I don't know how much ventilation that grill and opening provides anyway. I was never sure whether the purpose was fresh air intake or ventilation. I could never feel warm air coming out of mine. On the flip side I don't know how much fresh air would be drawn in by the engine. On the newer boats, there is no comparable vent on the engine box. All the air comes in and out via the bilge ducting. In any case, it never really gets that hot under there.