Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-26-2009, 01:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte View Post
I have been told that this stuff works well. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...025&lpage=none
Been told by many that that stuff does not do well, because the adhesive is a tar based product and as the heat increases, it's effectiveness decreases and makes a nice mess of everything.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
Been told by many that that stuff does not do well, because the adhesive is a tar based product and as the heat increases, it's effectiveness decreases and makes a nice mess of everything.
Maybe I should have added not to use the adhesive they suggest. From my source basically you use a reverse rivet to hold them in. Think about the underside of your cars hood. The attachment device uses extremely strong adhesive to stick to the inner box. Looks like a short upside down nail. Stick the sharp point through the insulation, then cap with a inch or so diameter cap.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:03 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The installer used contact cement to secure my replacement insulation. Never had any trouble with it coming down.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 prostar190
Found this, any opinions?

http://www.lobucrod.com/newinspics.html
Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: In my mind ... a 190 or 197! In my garage ... Sanger V215
Sorry I don't have a complete answer for you, however I purchased mine from a local RV store. It was the exact same stuff that Overton's was selling, and was half the price. I won't be able to get the information for another week, however will get the manufacturer and contact info for you when I get back home.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Mastercraft Prostar 190 Powerslot 351 Ford
what about using some kind of spray in insulation like "great stuff" or similiar?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:39 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
BriEOD had his old motorbox sprayed with bedliner (linex). Said it worked well. Not sure on its noise reducing qualities though.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Can anyone provide some links/info for some replacement engine box insulation.

The stuff on my 94 is in horrible shape and I want to tear it out.

I have been unsuccessful using the TMC Google search but I am sure this has come up here before.

Thanks.
DId my 94 last year. The Dynamat didn't really help much, on either sound or heat control.
(Wrong material, wrong application.) The Thermplex, etc. is used in the hvac business, and works amazingly well, for heat control...probably not so well on sound control. I used 1/2" fiberglass duct liner, and spay adhesive. Still not as quiet as stock.

The orginal material (foam) is used in the home speaker cabinet construction (speaker grills/interior baffling) in the past. Yes, it doesn't last forever, but best for sound control/heat. Try googleing, home speaker kits.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: In my mind ... a 190 or 197! In my garage ... Sanger V215
Hey Craig ...

In an effort to not get near the line that defines "promotions of products/services", I'll keep this brief. If you, or anyone else, are interested in more detail, please feel free to pm me.

The stuff that Overton's was selling was "The Insulator" and was specifically branded as "thermal-acousitc insulation". I was able to purchase a packaged 4'x6' sheet (forgot which of the two thickness I purchased) from a local RV store out of their product/supplier catalog.

I'm fairly certain the stuff is Manufactured in AZ by a company somewhere near Chandler.

Hope that helps ...

Btw, speaking from experience ... DO NOT store/leave the shipped package with the blue ink on your upholstery if you don't get to the project after you order this product. Mine bleed onto the upholstery and dyed the white into a blue in some spots. I couldn't, nor could any of the professionals, get the ink out, and we had to redye/paint the seats with a color matched white.

Good luck with your project and go safely enjoy the water!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
I bought acoustic insulating foam from McMaster-Carr . . . but haven't had time to install it yet since I'm just finishing installing my new upholstery.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#sound-absorbing-foam/=290632

I ordered 8' of the 1 inch skinned adhesive-backed. It has the highest noise reduction coefficient. Specs say adhesive is good to 225 degrees.