Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 01-06-2015, 12:40 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1986 ProStar 351w
would a wrap be worth it?

I have a 1986 ProStar and I'm considering doing a wrap. I know it's cheaper than painting and I've already removed all the old decals. I'm just wondering if anybody out there has wrapped an old one and if they were happy with it.

I'm not sure if I would just do a solid color or try to get some kind of design (maybe sorta retro like the original rainbow decals in carbon fiber?).

Just fishing for ideas... What do y'all think?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
Best to post some photos of the boat...I'm sure you will get some good ideas and recommendations.

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)
Old 01-06-2015, 03:27 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1986 ProStar 351w
These are from when I first started on her. I've put a black tower on with all the trimmings. And I'm reupholstering the seats and engine cover with colors that will accent the exterior. I'm thinking dark colors. Something that will turn heads so that when people hear it start up, they turn around and see something that will go with the deep rumble.Name:  IMG_3307.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3325.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  80.2 KB
Old 01-06-2015, 07:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 prostar 205/1985 stars&stripes
From my understanding a wrap will only last a few years. And i think kinda expensive considering they are only temporary. You might want to sand and buff if the gel coat will take it. Its also your call, but when refurbishing one of these old boats, altering the appearance will decrease the resale. But if you plan on keeping it, I say do what you think looks good.

If you stay original, mikeg205 is the one to talk to for decals. I am thinking he has made them for the 86, or maybe knows where to find them.

As far as my opinion, I am thinking go with all original theme. Just polish the gel back to white, and use original theme decals in black, original white interior trimmed in black, black carpet, black wheels on trailer. This will help tie everything together with the black tower, look original, and wont hurt the resale of a temporary wrap. Good luck and keep the pics coming of your progress!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Maristar 225VRS
Wraps are technically temporary, but can last indefinitely. They are basically a large decal. A properly applied wrap will last a long time if you take care of it. If you bounce the boat off stuff it will damage the wrap. When I was working at the dealership I saw wraps less than a year that were trashed and ones that were 3-5 year old that still looked new. They really do have to be taken care of. They can also be repaired, but you can see the repairs when you get up really close. We were doing 23 ft boats for around $2500, so I'd expect to pay around $2000 to do your boat.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
I would second paco, stay original if you can. I don't think a wrap will be as impressive as an original graphic re-do.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: current-07 X2, past-02 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
Quote:
These are from when I first started on her. I've put a black tower on with all the trimmings. And I'm reupholstering the seats and engine cover with colors that will accent the exterior. I'm thinking dark colors. Something that will turn heads so that when people hear it start up, they turn around and see something that will go with the deep rumble.
I would keep the interior as light as possible unless you are using new MC materials. I see you are in the south and if you've never sat on a piece of black welting in 100+ degrees you don't know stinging. I wouldn't do the wrap but thats just me. From what I've seen you get about 5 years out of them and the cost is high. I would try and buff the exterior. If that doesn't work look at the wetsanding threads. The boat doesn't appear to be that rough. Also there are plenty of decals in the decal drop box. YOu can get them printed locally on 3m for cheaper than you can find online. I'd rather spend some time/muscle and keep it original than spend a ton of cash on something you'll most likely never get your money out of.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:46 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
wraps last 3-5 years depending on media, surface prep and exposure.

I would do a graphics re-do.

mike
Old 01-06-2015, 11:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
spend the money on bringing the interior and dash back to Life.

new upholstery + carpet has much more value than a wrap.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
I'dopt for a graphics redo, like others have said. You've done more than half the work for the project already, new decals after a thorough wetsand and polish would look fantastic.

Tags
carbon fiber, clear coat, paint, vinyl, wrap