Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-02-2018, 09:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 197 Prostar 40th Anniversary Edition
polishing pad for metal flake

Wondering what people recommend for a polishing pad on metal flake. I used a pad that i think had somewhat a very light cut to it on my old boat when polishing but i don't dare use it on the metal flake.

I have been using meguires 45 RV and boat polish and then i use collinite 845 insulator wax for my finish.

owning a metal flake boat is completely new to me so any other tips and information on how to care for it in the long run would be very helpful
Old 04-02-2018, 09:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
When polishing metal flake it really is the same as any other polishing. You are polishing the clear resin over the flake. Wet sand, compound, polish and wax. You just have to be careful that you don't cut through to the actual flake.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 X10
I'd recommend this... I used it on my jet skii's, neighbors boat, cars etc...

https://www.eastwood.com/3m-perfect-...QaAr-TEALw_wcB

with a foam pad...

If you wanted some cutting action..... You can go a step harsher with a lambs wool pad and use

https://www.eastwood.com/3m-perfect-...art-36060.html

They make an extra extra fine polish if you want to really top it off from my first link, but its a very tough difference to notice
Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by workshopsk8r1321 View Post
Wondering what people recommend for a polishing pad on metal flake. I used a pad that i think had somewhat a very light cut to it on my old boat when polishing but i don't dare use it on the metal flake.

I have been using meguires 45 RV and boat polish and then i use collinite 845 insulator wax for my finish.

owning a metal flake boat is completely new to me so any other tips and information on how to care for it in the long run would be very helpful
is the gel faded? if not then not sure why you would need to use a cutting pad... start as light as you can and go up.. you can always get more aggressive but you can't put it back... .

if you are just polishing then just us a foam pad for polishing...
Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 197 Prostar 40th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
is the gel faded? if not then not sure why you would need to use a cutting pad... start as light as you can and go up.. you can always get more aggressive but you can't put it back... .

if you are just polishing then just us a foam pad for polishing...
i was using a cutting pad on my old boat when it was extremely oxidized but i don't want to use the same pads on this boat...thats why im wondering what people recommend for pads when it comes to the metal flake. like specific pads that anyone has had good luck with, especially for this type of gel coat. i don't need to cut but i don't want to use a wrong pad thinking it's okay to use and then screw everything up. and please do correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure they make foam pads that are made to cut...right?
Old 04-02-2018, 10:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
they make anything you want I go to harbor freight and buy the black polishing pads which have no cut.. and use a polish and then wax for what you are doing...

Stay away from the orange and blue they both cut orange more than the blue...

Others will chime in I am sure... but I would think a wool pad would cut like a orange pad.. but those too have different cutting abilities or polishing abilities... they should have a good description about how they cut or don't...
Old 04-07-2018, 11:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 SV244 w/ ZR409
I just did some cutting compound on my metal flake....along with light 2000 grit sanding for some light scratches. Used Boat Candy cutting compound with wool pad after wet sanding with the 2000 grit, then polished using a synthetic wool blend pad (9" on them both)....then waxed with Collonite. Came out perfect. I was nervous about the flake too, but long as you don't go too deep, you will be ok. I had light oxidation, so used the cutting compound around entire boat which took oxidation out very quick, then polished and waxed and she looks brand new with mirror finish (I have black and dark blue hull with metal flake and black was the hardest due to swirls being easier to see). Was my first time, so took me a good 16hrs to do entire boat. Also watched a few hours of utube videos first.
Just take your time and use the right tools. I bought a Makita variable speed rotary (harbor freight has cheaper ones), first 2 passes up n down and left n right at like 600rpm and then another 2 passes on around 1200 in 2x2 sections. Lot more confident now that I have done it.

Oh yea...when done I washed out my pads. First I soaked them and then sprayed with hose, then with warm water. After drying, they looked brand new....so I would think if you wash them, you can re-use
Old 04-08-2018, 09:41 AM
MC Addict

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
I did my entire '93 ... which is a lot of silver metallic flake ... just be carefully and use light pads and polishing compound