Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 06-08-2016, 09:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Tristar 190
What is all over this boat?

So the hull about half way up (around the water line) has a distinct line where it has some type of coating that has a bit of a shine to it, on one side of the boat it is coming off in a very blotchy fashion (see pictures) you can feel it is raised by running your hand over it.

I have been trying to take it off where it is blotchy with a meguiar's oxidation gel and rubbing it with a DA polisher and using a soft bristly brush its coming off, but its horribly painful...

But what is it? I am told boats don't have a clear coat, did mastercrafts come with some type of film on them?
Will just polishing and waxing this area once this is removed be good enough? or is this coating important and needs to be replaced?

90 tristar 190
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2016, 10:23 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
no mastercraft did not clear coat the gel... looks like someone added after the fact.. do I see brush marks on the dark color?

you may want to wet sand that off - just don't go too aggressive..
Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
wetsand it.

hit it with 800 grit, 1000, 1500, then go polish and wax

I believe a polish pad and heavier cut polish is around 1200-1500 grit equivalent. If there is actually clear on it you want to start off lower to remove it.

Obviously try it in a smaller area first. You wont hurt anything. Gelcoat is thick
Old 06-08-2016, 10:58 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
no mastercraft did not clear coat the gel... looks like someone added after the fact.. do I see brush marks on the dark color?

you may want to wet sand that off - just don't go too aggressive..
why would someone do such things? is that common? - seems like a good way to take a couple hour project and make it into a full weekend event

I don't think they are brush marks, it seems to be some light oxidation and the color comes back if I use my fingernail to take it off... assuming that also needs sanded
Old 06-08-2016, 10:59 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
wetsand it.

hit it with 800 grit, 1000, 1500, then go polish and wax

I believe a polish pad and heavier cut polish is around 1200-1500 grit equivalent. If there is actually clear on it you want to start off lower to remove it.

Obviously try it in a smaller area first. You wont hurt anything. Gelcoat is thick
is there any reason to leave the clear coat on the othe other half the boat that it looks ok on? - might not look perfectly uniform but seems like a huge time commitment to do this fully 'right'
Old 06-08-2016, 11:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 XStar
I would remove all that crap but I feel your pain with how long it's gonna take... maybe try a paint stripper in a small area??

I don't know of oxidation that can be removed with a fingernail... you can wipe the chalky stuff off with your hand but to really test oxidation I putt my thumbprint on the gel for a few seconds... the oil will absorb and make the gel look good but it will fade back out... How long it takes the oxidation to return determines what I'm gonna use to buff/wax the boat... compound, wax or a mix.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty346 View Post
is there any reason to leave the clear coat on the othe other half the boat that it looks ok on? - might not look perfectly uniform but seems like a huge time commitment to do this fully 'right'
YA, Im sure no one notices both sides of the boa at the same time anyways lol
Old 06-08-2016, 01:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 94 Ski Nautique
that might be poly-glow... try a floor wax stripper and see if that takes it off. Some people think that floor wax is a good solution to an oxidized finish, as it is a lot less work than actually wet sanding and polishing. I have heard that it can flake/peel off after a couple of seasons.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty346 View Post
why would someone do such things? is that common? - seems like a good way to take a couple hour project and make it into a full weekend event

I don't think they are brush marks, it seems to be some light oxidation and the color comes back if I use my fingernail to take it off... assuming that also needs sanded
people do weird stuff - previous owner prolly thought it would at a layer of protection
Old 06-08-2016, 02:28 PM

be real careful with paint stripper - especially the good stuff.. it will eat thru almost anything...