Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-22-2005, 09:15 PM
TrespalmasPR

Even the dealer was stumped

Put the 2000 PS 190 in the water for the first time this year on Friday. I had it into the dealership on Tuesday to have the transmission fluid changed and to have it summerized. When I started up the boat at the launch, everything was working fine. As soon as I backed it off the trailer and had it going in drive, all gauges (except the clock) stopped working. Before cutting out, the Tach meter went up to the max RPM's, 6000, and then dropped to 0. The engine was never running faster than normal. I let the boat run, slowly in gear, for about 15 min and then put it on the lift. After eating lunch, I took it back out to see if the gauges would work. No luck. At this time as I was heading back to the dock after letting it run for no more than 15 min I noticed water accumulating near my feet (on the floor under the instrument panel). I called the dealer and explained the problem. They thought it could be a busted speedo hose that sprayed over the breakers and cut everything else out. I told them water was not spraying, it was simply leaking in the floor near where the instrument wires run under the floor. Therefore, they think I may have a speedo wire that tore in that area and is leaking water. They still said they have no idea why all of the gauges stopped working. They said to bring it in, so I dropped it off at the dealership. They may have a chance to look at it before memorial day weekend, but no promises . Do any of you have any suggestions as to what might be going on or have had something similar to this happen to you? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... as just like all of you, I hate not being able to spend time on the water . Thanks!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:25 PM
MC Master Poster

If you live in a place where it gets cold enough for water to freeze solid, the problem is most likely in how the boat was winterized. The speedo lines need to be drained and if they aren't, any water that got as far as the MDC box froze and cracked the seal inside. Then, water got into the MDC box and jazzed up the circuits.

The lines need to be cleared out periodically, anyway.

This point is moot if the boat has a paddlewheel.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
Sounds like JimN has the picture there.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:33 PM
TrespalmasPR

Thanks Jim... The boat does not have a paddlewheel... Two speedo units under each exhuast. Thanks for the tip, the same dealer that summerized it, also winterized it. I will ask them about it. Does this mean the MDC box likely needs to be replaced? If so, what is the ballpark price for one of these?
Old 06-01-2005, 06:23 PM
TrespalmasPR

[quote=JimN] The speedo lines need to be drained and if they aren't, any water that got as far as the MDC box froze and cracked the seal inside. Then, water got into the MDC box and jazzed up the circuits.

The boat wasn't ready for the weekend. The dealer was waiting to get some new MDC boxes in and they arrived on Friday. When they replaced the one in the boat, the gauges still didn't work. When we talked to them on Saturday they said they were very surprised that didn't solve the problem. They really aren't sure what could be wrong, but they are going to spend some time on it this week and hopefully figure something out. Anyone have some more ideas? The weather is finally warming up in northern WI and I hope to get the boat on the water soon .