Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-22-2005, 12:34 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, X-30, 2005, MCX
X-30 Gas tank

I was out today on our boat and ran out of gas just as I was loading on the trailer(lucky). The motor shut off as I was waiting to load, but it fired up again and I was able to get it on the trailer before it stopped again. I filled the boat on the way back and only put in 48 gallons before it started spraying out. It is suppose to hold 60 gallons of gas. Am I to believe that the last 12 gallons of gas I will not be able to use, or is it because of the angle of the boat on the trailer that I can not fill it all the way?

Yes the price of putting 48 gallons in is still way high. I hate that receipt.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:33 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
12 gals is still 1/5 of your tank and it should be plenty of gas to load the boat on trailer without starving it i think.Have you ever really put 60 gals in there ?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
I am pretty sure it was the angle of the trailer. When mine is low and am filling for an entire weekend, I make sure I pull into a pump that tilts the boat down on the passenger side and hopefully down at the bow. I've been able to get 58 gallons in my tank when it was really low.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
I'm cringing at the thought of putting 60 gallons of gas in, i have a hard time with 30.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
It beats my other boat, which held 150 gallons, but that one is long gone. The worst thing about the 60 gallons is the pump shuts of automatically at $50. So I have to run the credit card three times, at $2/gallon gas, and the credit card company doesn't like that so I have to call them if I want to use the same card again during the weekend.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:20 PM
TT Regular

I have not yet been able to put 60 gallons in it. Usually the pump will shut off at $75.00 which is about 30 gallons. Instead of filling it the rest of the way I usually call it good and go out. This time since I ran it so low, I wanted to see how low it actually was. I could see a little gas still in the tank, but I didn't know how much was there.

Do any of you think that I might have damaged the fuel pump by running out of gas?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X-30 MCX
Send a message via Yahoo to WakeSeeky
Interesting... I've had a suspicion that our tank doesn't hold 60 gallons either. The pump shuts off at something like $48.85 (who knows why), and I've never bothered to add up all the receipts, just didn't seem right. Did you happen to notice your gas gauge? I'm hoping that the gauge is accurate at least?

Maybe it is the trailer angle. The place we usually fill up would have the boat tilted exactly opposite what Tom023 described, come to think of it. Anyhow, be very interested to see what you find out.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:33 PM
TT Regular

The gas gauge was right. It was just at or a little above empty. I knew I was pushing it, but I could still see gas in the tank. In the manual, it tells you to use the gauge and not what you can see in the tank.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:07 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MariStar 210 - Indmar MCX 350HP with 0-Flex Tower & Perfect Pass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom023
I am pretty sure it was the angle of the trailer. When mine is low and am filling for an entire weekend, I make sure I pull into a pump that tilts the boat down on the passenger side and hopefully down at the bow. I've been able to get 58 gallons in my tank when it was really low.
I use precisely the same method. Works every time.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X-30 MCX
Send a message via Yahoo to WakeSeeky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahfoiler
The gas gauge was right. It was just at or a little above empty. I knew I was pushing it, but I could still see gas in the tank. In the manual, it tells you to use the gauge and not what you can see in the tank.
Good to know that, at least. I suppose the manual says use the gauge because there's supposed to be a little left in the tank when it reads empty, but last spring we ran our PS205 out of gas... fuel sending unit went bad & gauge read full. Not fun, and I don't trust the gauge much anymore.

Will definitely try filling with the boat "tipped" the other direction and see what happens. Plus that's, what, another 50lbs of ballast?