Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-21-2005, 06:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, 225VRS, 1994, 5.7 TBI
Stranded, fuel pump?

Any comments, help, appreciated.
94 225VRS, 350 TBI. 165 hrs, owned 1yr.
If the fuel pump whine does not come on when turning on the key, what do you think, pump or relay, other?
Ran fine for hours, shut down, no start, no fuel pump whine, engine turns over, kill switch ok, depressed main circuit reset button, all gauges ok, (except fuel gauge).
It has been run out of gas at least twice in the yr. In fact when going to test drive it the seller was out on the lake out of gas. I ran it out once, and maybe last night too I searched tmcowners and read running out of gas can ruin fuel pumps. New ones on skidim, $280.
I am going out there now to check, all fuses, relays and pump for juice w/ mulitester.
Thank You,
Plano

spent couple hours on the lake stranded last night, boat and me on one side, truck and trailer on the other . Got the boat to bed by 4am.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Have you tried resetting the ignition breaker on the dash ?
Just a guess.Mine tripped on my 94 same engine,it happenned when i accidently (I think) bump the fuel relays when replacing engine cover.There was rust on the connectors,cleaned and a shot of electrical silicone and it never happened again.
Good luck!
Old 05-21-2005, 07:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
I would also check the fuel filter -running a gas tank dry may have "stirred" up som gas with particles in it.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '95 Prostar 205 LT1
That fuel pump is real picky. It burns up quick when it runs out of gas. I burned mine up the first time it happened. That is also when I found out the fuel guage wasn't working. My guess is that pump from experience.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by planoboy
If the fuel pump whine does not come on when turning on the key, what do you think, pump or relay, other?
Ran fine for hours, shut down, no start, no fuel pump whine, engine turns over, kill switch ok, depressed main circuit reset button, all gauges ok, (except fuel gauge).
It has been run out of gas at least twice in the yr. In fact when going to test drive it the seller was out on the lake out of gas. I ran it out once, and maybe last night too I searched tmcowners and read running out of gas can ruin fuel pumps. New ones on skidim, $280.
I am going out there now to check, all fuses, relays and pump for juice w/ mulitester.
Thank You,
Plano

spent couple hours on the lake stranded last night, boat and me on one side, truck and trailer on the other . Got the boat to bed by 4am.
Check out the electrical circuit on the attached diagram. Listen for or feel the relay click on then off when you turn the key switch on. If the relay activates, check for 12V ascross the fuel pump leads for 2-3 seconds when the key switch it turned on. If you get 12 V at the pump but the pump does not run, you probably have a bad pump.

If the relay does not activete, look for 12 Volts for 2-3 seconds at pin 85 of the fuel pump relay when you turn the key switch on. If no 12V at pin 85, the ECM fuel pump driver is bad and the ECM will need to be replaced.

Ebgine Nut
Old 05-21-2005, 09:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySkiSpokane
That fuel pump is real picky. It burns up quick when it runs out of gas. I burned mine up the first time it happened. That is also when I found out the fuel guage wasn't working. My guess is that pump from experience.
I am going to test mine this year.. I believe the bad sending units have caused most of these failures due to running out of gas.. I have heard the same thing about them burning up easily if run without gas... "But the gas gauge says there is gas"......
Old 05-23-2005, 10:23 AM
TT Regular

many thanks to the board and Engine Nut for the valuable info.
Looks like the least costly resolution...fuel pump relay, bosch#12077864 B00.
No click, or sound from the relay, not activating.
had ~2V @ fuel pump, 12V @ pin 85.
Will post again after installing new relay.
thx again,
Plano
Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 PM
TT Regular

well, I was seeing things. .12 volts at pin#85 on the digital multi-tester. installed the new relay, it she no workie, guess the problem is the ECM. I will post again after I get it fixed. thanks again for the help.
I do not have any manuals other than the downloadable indmar owners manual showing this image...

I do not have the extra 2 fuse package and I have 10,10,15 amp fuses where the schematic states only one 10 amp fuse.
Engine nut, sorry to keep asking questions but can you identify the 3 fuses as, emc/bat, inj/emc, and fuel pump? If so, someone put a 10 amp in for the emc/bat?
also, I gotta wonder if upping the temp w/ the 160 thermostat hastend the demise of the ECM? See this post...
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...1749#post51749
Old 05-23-2005, 10:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by planoboy
Thank You,
Plano

Man thats a bummer! Sorry to hear of your troubles!

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 05-23-2005, 11:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1994, 350 TBI 308hp.
check the fuel pump pins with your meter, see if they have shorted.