Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-14-2004, 10:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 PS190 Indmar-351
Send a message via AIM to ChuckD
Leak in bilge - Rudder Packing?

I just finished changing the steering cable on my '88 PS-190 and went to the lake to verify how much easier the steering was. That project was successful... replace cable and steering and now the steering is much easier. HOWEVER, during the "test" run at the lake, I noticed a lot of water in the bilge. The packing for the drive shaft seemed normal and it seems that an excess of water is leaking from the rudder area. How do you make an adjustment for the packing for the rudder? Do you need to remove the fuel tank? I attempted to look at the rudder (under the fuel tank) but I could not see any adjustment packing nuts like on the drive shaft. Any suggestions on how to check the rudder leak... Thanks!
Old 08-14-2004, 10:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Are you sure the water is coming in through the rudder? If it is, there are a couple of O-rings on the rudder shaft. You'll need to remove the tiller arm, then pull the rudder. Make sure there is something under the rudder in case it wants to fall out when the tiller arm comes off.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:19 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure it is the rudder, however, I will check to verify next time I take it to the lake. If in fact I determine the leak is from the rudder, can I do the repair you suggested without removing the gas tank? Last time I looked at the rudder, it sure looked like close quarters with the gas tank in place. Is there a tighten nut on the rudder similar to the packing nut on the prop shaft that can be tightened?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:25 PM
MC Master Poster

No nut to tighten any packing, and that's the reason I said to put something under the rudder for when the tiller arm comes off. You may also find that the sleeve is worn where the rudder goes through. If it is, you'll need to replace it. It's not very expensive, though. Remove your prop before you start this job.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:52 PM
TT Newbie

Jim, Thanks for the help. I have finially found time to remove the rudder. Other than the tight working space, it was not too hard to remove the rudder. I could not tell that the shaft nor the sleeve was worn too much since I had to use a little force to remove it once the cotter pin was removed. I looked for 2 rubber o-rings. I found one. I also see a more shallower groove above the o-ring that I removed. Could that be the location for a second o-ring? If so, it would certainly be a different size than the lower o-ring. Is that correct? Also, I did see a little scarring on the lower portion of the rudder shaft (near where the o-ring probably would be). Is scarring there normal? Should I take a high-grit sandpaper to smooth that portion of the shaft, or would that even be necessary. Again, thanks for your help. (Sorry for all of the questions. I am still VERY new to Mastercraft ownership).
Old 09-04-2004, 05:49 PM
TT Newbie

Well, I have replaced the o-ring on the rudder shaft. Fairly simple job and there is no leak from the rudder area. BUT - There is still water entering the bilge. This time I looked closer and found that water was entering from what appeared to be the fiberglass covering over the shaft entrance thru the hull. Very near the drive shaft packing nut. I saw no water leaking from the packing nut itself but from the fiberglass area above and directly aft of the packing nut. I took a portion of the fiberglass off where the leak appeared and just found a metal housing. Could the leak I am seeing still be from the packing material? Thanks for any suggestions. It'd be nice to keep the water on the outside of the boat!
Old 09-04-2004, 11:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
Chuck D

I had a friend with a Supra who could not find the leak he had.. The MC dealer did a reverse leak test on it.. They filled the inside with water to find the leak.. His turned out to be leaking around his exhaust.. You might try this to find your leak.. If it is your packing it should show up pretty quick...

When I say "fill" I certainly dont mean to the top....
Old 09-06-2004, 10:54 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks. I may try that. I'm just wondering if a leak could exist at or around the housing that forms the thru-hull for the drive shaft??
Old 09-06-2004, 06:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Did you check the hose clamps and the hose on the stuffing box? These would cause a leak in this area.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190 - 351 Indmar (1:1) / 365 Hours
I just found a new leak in my 88', but don't know if this is your problem. Leading from the speedo water line into the boat, there is a brass resovoir aound 12" in length and 1/2" diameter. It had splip open somehow, and the water was pooring in while the boat was moving.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement brass tube? DIM possibly?

Thanks,
Pete