Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2009, 11:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Does Your Battery Installation Look Like This?

Just wondering if everybody's stock battery installation from MC looks like this. Prior to buying MCs my experience was with Cobalts and small Wellcraft Scarabs. I seem to remember them being much neater. I know we tend to look at previous boats with rose colored glasses but this seems to be well, not so good. Not sure if this was a MC install or a "custom" installation by the previous owner or dealer.

At any rate I've decided to move things around and if anyone is interested I'll post my progress. I expect this to take some time to complete as my primary focus will be on enjoying our short season here in MI.
Attached Images

Last edited by bturner2; 05-13-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Wow nice rats nest. Guess I'm lucky since I've got two batteries and they didn't have to try and cram everything on to one.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
MC Devotee

I asked in several other posts where the stock location was for a dual battery switch installation was located but never got a response. As such I decided that it was time to blaze new territory and find what looked like a good location on my own. Based on an excellent post I saw from Sodar I decided to go the Blue Seas "Add a Battery" route. It seemed to provide the best package for size and function.

I decided that the area under the observer seat would provide great access, protection and a good location relative to the batteries. In order to use this location though I would need a bracket to mount switch/isolator to. I had my brother in law waterjet this bracket out for me out of 1/2" alum plate (I know this is overkill but the material was available) and tap the mounting holes. This is what it looked like after it was painted and ready to mount.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-5
At any rate I've decided to move things around and if anyone is interested I'll post my progress. I expect this to take some time to complete this project as my primary focus will be on enjoying our short season here in MI.[/quote]

yes please!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM
MC Devotee

As I couldn't through bolt or screw it to the mounting location (due to appearance or thickness of the fiberglass at the chosen location) I decided to see if that miracle bonding agent JB Weld would work out. Here's a shot of it being bonded (OK glued, thought bonded sounded better. It also makes me feel better about having to secure the bracket this way) to the fiberglass seat base. I'm open to alternative suggestions should this fail. My confidence level on this method is also why the carpeting has not be trimmed back.

I've already made cable to length for the battery connections. Got all the parts from Genuine Dealz out of Sodar’s stereo installation post. Great place to get all kinds of marine grade wire, terminals etc. They also have great service and prices.

This is pretty much where I'm at so far. I'm traveling this week so the JB Weld should have plenty of time to set up. Next step will be to clean up the existing cable installation, add power posts where necessary and hopefully cable everything up.
Attached Images

Last edited by bturner2; 05-13-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I will tell you one thing... MC's wiring is quite a cluster. Everything is done in two seperate harnesses... one for the deck and one for the hull and when the two are mated, they connect the two harnesses under the dash. My biggest problem with the harnesses is that everything under the dash is not supported or cleanly mounted. The whole boat wiring looks like quite a rats nest.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 94 Mastercraft
Are all battery locations the same on the older prostars? My 94 I just bought has the battery located in the back next to the gas tank but the manual says its location is up front under the observers seat in the plastic well.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr1 View Post
Wow nice rats nest. Guess I'm lucky since I've got two batteries and they didn't have to try and cram everything on to one.
Yeah, that's what I thought to. It has always been my understanding that there should be a minimum amount of connections going directly to the battery. This one had 7 ground wires attached directly to the battery ground post and 4 to the positive post. My understanding is that this is why bus bars and terminal posts were created.

If you notice the battery switch is actually mounted to the battery box. What's worse there are exposed screw threads that are digging into the battery casing. I'm finding it hard to believe MC did this installation.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:02 PM
MC Devotee

Again, hate to look at old boats and remember only the good but both my Cobalt and Wellcrafts had all the wiring tied and laced throughout the boat. Oh well, good project.

Also have to say none of my other boats had as bullet proof a propulsion system as any of my MCs.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:29 PM
MC Devotee

OK. So for those of you who may have thought my decision to use JB Weld to bond the mounting plate to the fiberglass was a bad idea..... you were right. After having it clamped for nearly 5 days I came back and it basically fell off after unclamping. Looks like the surface wasn't smooth enough or just didn't bite into the fiberglass. Here's a picture of the plate after it came off.....
Attached Images