Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-11-2009, 09:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1980 S&S
Stringer Template?

I have another post opened, I fat fingered the title on it by accident sorry for any confusion it may have caused. Im working on a 1980 S&S and pulled the carpet and motor to find that the mount had dropped about an inch. I want to replace all four stringers because that seams to be the general consensus that if one is being done they all may as well be. Because the one side is so badly rotted I am not going to be able to use it as a pattern for my new piece, I haven't opened up the other side yet but I assume that it is going to be in rough shape also. I was wondering if they is anyone with a template I may be able to get my hand on, at least something to give me a rough outline so I can get a close start.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1978 Stars and Stripes, PCM 351 (60hrs)
2" x 8" x 12ft long fir plank... cut to fit. You'll actually end up with a much better fit than trying to make it from any sort of template. The only thing you could use measurements for is the location and height of the motor mounts, but there should be plenty left of your existing stringers to get that. I have pictures and description of how to fit them on here under a thread topic "making progress on new stringers" or something like that.

Hint - for removal I used a 4-1/2" angle grinder with a metal cutoff wheel, a thin grinding wheel - about 1/8" thick - cuts through fiberglass like butter. Really dusty, itchy butter. It makes a nice cut nonetheless and was much better than any of the other tools of destruction I tried. Slice the glass at the base of the stringer all the way around (about 1/4-3/8" deep) being careful not to gouge into the hull then bust them loose with a few kicks. They should come out pretty intact.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:35 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
I did exactly the same as above, basically removing just the glass from the sides and top of the stringer.. I left about 1/4" of glass where it meets the hull and the stringer or what was left of it still in place.

made measurements from that (which will give you a rough profile) hull to engine mount dimensions being the critical ones although my mounts are height adjustable anyway.

I then carefully removed the last 1/4" of glass to hull/stringer very carefully with a metal sanding (not cutting disc) and lifted both the stringers out in one piece..

the front foot or so of mine was pretty much just mushy timber but its surprising that once the glass is carefully removed how much you will save for a template..

with the stringers removed what I was left with was a small upstand of glass where the stringer had been and this outline remains in the hull even when it was ground back to clean up the entire hull floor.

With a template (old stringer) to work off and an outline on the hull floor of the position the new one needed to go back in I found it quite straight forward to profile and position.

Last night was the first time I had both new stringers back in the hull and they're in perfect position and also level..

Best advice I could give would be take your time, take care with the removal and it'll save loads of headaches later..
Old 05-12-2009, 04:37 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
oh forgot to say..

mine had dropped by about 3/4" on one engine mount if not more and I still managed to save the stringer !

Tags
pattern, stringer, stringers, template