Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2009, 06:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18 Engine
Best adhesive for glueing swim step pad down??

One half of my swim pad came up over the weekend and I need to glue it back down. What would you suggest from re-glueing the rubber mat back down to my fiberglass swim step? I've already used liquid nails and that did not work too good.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: between boats
3M Super Trim Adhesive (Part number 08090)
Old 06-03-2009, 03:24 AM
GOLIATH

Had to do the same thing to my fiberglass teak this year. I did it while it was in storage because of the cure time. Heated garage comes in handy once in while! I took both mats completely off of the teak and sanded off all of the old adhesive. Got some texture to the back of the mats and on the fiberglass for the adhesive to grab on to....... and it worked great.

I used "3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200." After it cured, I then used a black caulk to seal around the outside so no water can get under the mats.

http://www.shop3m.com/60410009470.ht...KU=60980042877

Cure time is 7 days for the adhesive, but it is worth it. Had the boat floating in the water at the cabin for almost 2 months now and still see no sign of it coming off. I tried lifting up on the mats with pretty good force before I put the caulk on, and they are in place real good!

You can get the 3M Marine Adhesive 5200 at Home Depot or Lowes!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:46 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
You could try this, I use it on everything, including the carpet on the trailer bunks,
Attachment 48052

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 09-29-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
My problem was different - the black rubber insert was tracking black stuff throughout my boat from wet feet. MC replaced the pad under warranty, although what they did was give me the new rubber mat and some of the cyanoacrylate adhesive to glue it. That's the stuff they use at the factory to glue the stuff down.

The cyanoacrylate worked well, but I only had about 8 seconds to get the stuff down before it set up. No problems since install. I did run a bead of black 3M 5200 around the edge. Install detailed in this thread.

I do note that one additional problem with the fiberglass swim step is chipping along the bottom edge. I solved that with some edge trim I got from JC Whitney. I secured that with some Goop glue and it's held fine. The 5200 might have been a better choice, but no problems with the Goop so far.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
you could try a product called SC2000
Name:  SC2000.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  17.8 KB
Old 06-04-2009, 02:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Thumbs up

Big Mac - Great addition, was thinking about adding something like that to my platform, we have a few skinned shins and ankles from the bottom edge of our platform, it is kinda sharp. I was worried that anything I added would just drag off in the water, this looks like a great option, thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
My problem was different - the black rubber insert was tracking black stuff throughout my boat from wet feet. MC replaced the pad under warranty, although what they did was give me the new rubber mat and some of the cyanoacrylate adhesive to glue it. That's the stuff they use at the factory to glue the stuff down.

The cyanoacrylate worked well, but I only had about 8 seconds to get the stuff down before it set up. No problems since install. I did run a bead of black 3M 5200 around the edge. Install detailed in this thread.

I do note that one additional problem with the fiberglass swim step is chipping along the bottom edge. I solved that with some edge trim I got from JC Whitney. I secured that with some Goop glue and it's held fine. The 5200 might have been a better choice, but no problems with the Goop so far.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-star 2004
Hi! Did the same thing this spring. The previous owner of my boat had done it, but bad so one side came off and the other was bumpy. So i removed both of them, cleaned off all the old glue/silicone. That was kind off a pain... After that I glued it back on with Sikaflex 291, which i spread out carefully with a fine comb used for tiling. I didn't want it to get bumpy again. I then applied i string around the edges which i then evened out with solvent. It came out very good, real sturdy, so i doubt it will never come off.

http://www.sika.com/industry/cmi-cus...ne-systems.htm