Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 205V
Any issues with catalytic converters?

My wife and I are looking to possibly upgrade from our 2002 205V to a new/newer X2 within the next couple of years. Is there any noticable power loss or other problems associated with the required catalyic converters on the newer boats...or is this pretty much a non issue?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Get the boat and take them off

'91 prostar 190
Old 05-06-2009, 05:50 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Does cali have laws for boats like they do cars? grrrr
Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Maristar View Post
Does cali have laws for boats like they do cars? grrrr
I'm sure they do. I know they have different requirements for weed eaters, blowers, lawn mowers, and anything else that runs on gas. I herd they are even going to out law beans

'91 prostar 190
Old 05-06-2009, 05:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yeah...you just gotta love our crazy state.

Starting January 1, 2008, California based marine dealers will be competing for new boat sales against retailers in the other 49 states at a distinct price disadvantage thanks to new inboard engine emission regulations instigated and mandated by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). After pushing to clean- up the two-stroke outboard industry in the í90s, CARB has been relentless in its pursuit of reducing HC+NOx emissions from recreational motor boats powered by inboard gasoline engines.

The result of nearly six years of meetings, public hearings, development and testing commences next year when all new inboard (under 500 horsepower) powered boats sold in California must be standard equipped from the engine manufacturer with catalytic converters in order to meet the 5.0 g/kW-hr HC+NOx state limit. Since this is a California only regulation, none of the other 49 states will be burdened with this requirement.

What California new boat dealers donít know at this time is how much more will their catalyzed boat inventory cost than identical models sold in every other state. Presently, California dealers are worried on two major fronts. First is a perception problem. Itís understandable that a majority of potential new boat buyers are not going to be enthralled with the idea of owning a boat with a catalytic converter under the aft engine hatch for a number of safety and performance concerns. The other major hurdle will be price. Although California dealers donít know the exact amount of pass-along cost increase that will result from adding a catalytic converter to the exhaust system, but ballpark estimates range anywhere from $600 to $1,800 per boat to the purchaser depending on the specific engine model.

Given just these two factors, California dealers have plenty of reason to speculate that it wonít take long for local boat buyers to start shopping in neighboring states. And although it will be illegal according to the CARB regulation to sell a new inboard powered boat in California after January 1, 2008 without a catalytic converter system, it is not illegal for a resident to purchase a non-catalyzed boat in another state and bring it into California. It is also fact that there is no enforcement provision in the CARB regulation requiring new inboard boats purchased after January 1, 2008 to be inspected or certified for emissions compliance prior to registration by the DMV.

SCMA has become proactive on this issue by introducing new legislation to the state assembly (AB 695, sponsored by Assemblywoman Betty Karnette, D) making it illegal for a non-compliant inboard boat to be registered after January 1, 2008.

At this point itís purely speculation as to how many potential boat sales this will cost California dealers in 2008 and the years ahead. According to reports from the NMMA, the new California inboard engine emissions regulation will likely become a similar federal standard for all 50 states by the year 2010 or 2011, but thatís not a guarantee. In principle, California boat dealers and the SCMA support measures that promote cleaner air and water, but not when it results in unfair competition.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
I'm sure they do. I know they have different requirements for weed eaters, blowers, lawn mowers, and anything else that runs on gas. I herd they are even going to out law beans
Organic beans are ok.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:56 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-Dog View Post
Organic beans are ok.
I say buy out of state if possible. If not, buy it and pull the cats off

'91 prostar 190
Old 05-06-2009, 05:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post

I say buy out of state if possible. If not, buy it and pull the cats off
I thought maybe the engine might be tuned differently for the cat.

Last edited by g-Dog; 05-06-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:02 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Do you have to get the boats smogged each year?

I joined the Army in 86 and promptly moved to Hawaii that year. I've never held a Cali address since then. I know back when I used to get my car smogged it was a pain even then. I can't imagine the kinds of things you guys must be going through now.

In Alabama, as long as you don't have a felony you can get a concealed carry permit for less than $30 bucks and it's good in FL and GA to boot. I just wish it would carry over to banks, post offices and airplanes. I add this because my dad was a business owner out in Lancaster and tried to get a permit to carry. He always had large sums of money and a pretty routine schedule. The state said no and to hire a security firm.

hijack off
Old 05-06-2009, 06:05 PM
MC Addict

I'm going throught the ccw process now.....PITA for sure

No smog on boats yet here, but I'm sure it's coming sometime.

'91 prostar 190