Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mariah Jubilee
Comparing X-15 to X-35

First I'd like to say hi to all the folks on this board. I have been lurking for a little while trying to gather as much info as I could but there seems to be very little info about X-35's on here (tons of great info on the X-15 here though).

I am trying to decide which boat is a better fit for my family and would love to hear feedback from anyone who has driven and/or rode behind either or better yet both of these boats. The roominess of these boats is what has drawn me to these two selections. I have a family of 4 plus one large dog that loves the lake. We are average wakeboarders who like to surf occasionally and spend plenty of time relaxing, swimming, and cruising on the lake. Towing weight and trailered dimensions are not really a consideration for me.

I think either boat is a great choice but I'd love to hear some feedback from people who own either of these boats and could give a good comparison. Ultimately I will test drive both of them but I would love to hear other folks thoughts so I could keep them in mind during test driving/riding.

Thanks in advance for any info you choose to share.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Welcome to the board. I'd like to help but haven't been in or behind either.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
TT Fan

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft X15
While I didn't drive both I just had the same battle and I excluded the 35 pretty fast and debated between the 15 and 45. For me the 35 while I loved the reversable front seat for the wife, I though the whole fridge/area for us was A a wasted seat and I think it would smell. All three boats have a ton of stoage and the width difference between the two is only 2 inches. We decided on the 15 because the 45 is a BIG boat and for what we use it for I didn't want such a heavy and big boat as we are on a small lake and I didn't want HUGE wakes. If you are on a busy waterway the bigger 35 will be more comfortable. Just my two cents for whatever that is worth.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mariah Jubilee
JohnE - Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully over time I'll be able to add to the discussions.

SuperBee731 - Thanks for sharing your thoughts. When I first saw the fridge I thought I would just exclude it and have the extra seating in place of it, but it turns out that my wife really likes the idea of having a fridge available. Making my wife happy is critical to pulling off a new boat purchase so now I have gone from "fridge seems kinda useless" to "I love the fridge"

I think either boat would work well for the size lake I am on with the amount of traffic normally around.

How is the shape of the wake on the X-15 for wakeboarding? Is it similar to the X-star?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 AM
TT Fan

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft X15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirschaj View Post
JohnE - Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully over time I'll be able to add to the discussions.

SuperBee731 - Thanks for sharing your thoughts. When I first saw the fridge I thought I would just exclude it and have the extra seating in place of it, but it turns out that my wife really likes the idea of having a fridge available. Making my wife happy is critical to pulling off a new boat purchase so now I have gone from "fridge seems kinda useless" to "I love the fridge"

I think either boat would work well for the size lake I am on with the amount of traffic normally around.

How is the shape of the wake on the X-15 for wakeboarding? Is it similar to the X-star?

My wife was the same way as she wanted a forward facing seat, some how I got her past that. Either way good luck in your search.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X15, 2006, 350MCX
The wake is great in the X-15, you just have to get everyone seated in the right seat. If you surf you will love it. We chose the X-15 because we thought it was the best all around choice. I wakeboard, ski, barefoot and wanted something that could do it all. My wife hated our 2000 X-Star because she likes to cruise the lake and it was way to rough for that. The 15 is smooth in rough water and still gives me the performance that I want.

Current Boat: 2006 X-15

Previous Boats:
2000 X-Star
1999 Prostar 205
Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
I have been in both.

The 35 has a great wakeboarding wake. Although we did not surf, it was clear that it produced a good surf wave. I loved the deep feel of it, but also had that 'can't get past the fridge' problem. Shape wise, I think the wake is more similar to an Xstar than the X-15. This is me wakeboarding behind it: Keep in mind also that I am 6'9" tall.

I have a friend who has a X15. It really feels bigger on the inside than a 21 foot boat. The storage seemed small compared to the 35, but plenty big for a family and big dog. The wakeboarding wake is not the same as an Xstar, but very good in its own right. It surfed very well with just an additional 400 pound sack in the locker. I was very impressed with what might happen if I were to add a 1000 pounds or more.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Buyer
I have an X15 and we use it for many things, wakeboard, tube, surf and cruising. We are a family of 5 and no dog until a few weeks ago.

I looked at the X35, but never tried it, seemed very big to me and did not like the fridge either. We love our X15 and navigate on a big lake, it is a very stable boat.

Good luck in your shopping,

2007 X-15 Switch, MCX, Plate, Red with Gunmetal flake
Old 05-08-2009, 03:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X-15, Salt Water, 2009
I have the X-15 and like it. I am a hard-core wakeboarder.
I got the X-15 over the X-Star because I live on a large body of water. The X-Star wouldn't be able to deal with the waves I sometimes get.

I never thought about getting the X-35. For me, the X-35 was a lot more money for extra space I don't need. The X-15 is a pretty big boat.

It will probably come down to a decision about how big of a boat you want, how much room you want.

On the X-35, I like the ladder on the bow - but I think it is a dumb idea for them to have that ladder not be sealed off. I am not sure how oftern water/waves splash u there, but it seems sort of like a bone head move having a hole in the bow of the boat which brings water right into the bildge. They should seal that off.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x-15 2008
Bought a 2008 X15 and love it. Its a great boat. Plenty of room and storage for 8-10 people if you need. There is usually only the family of 4 but we can load it up. We surf, wakeboard, tube, and float. Its a great boat. The x35 is just way to big for what I needed. Have fun with your decision and post pics once you are done.