Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
Here are some pics of my stereo. My brother and I designed and built the enclosures. The most challenging parts were the odd angle of the sub box, the odd angles of the driver's enclosure, and mounting the amp so that it was out of the way of the storage area for skis and the like. The most important piece of the stereo from a sheer sound standpoint was the driver's enclosure which sits down to your right and fires directly up at the driver for maximum sound to the driver. Our plan was to modify the boat as little as possible, obtain the maximum sound out of the system, and maintain all of the storage space possible. The system sounds great. It is plenty loud and crystal clear. Another challenging aspect was designing a gunnel support for the added stress of the new barefoot boom my brother just got this past Christmas. We took a 4 x 4 piece of pressure treated lumber nothced it in several places and made it fit behind the passenger side speaker enclosure which was a feat in and of itself. I was afraid that the added stress of the boom would cause spider-webbing in the gel coat without it.

This is the rear-drivers side speaker with the back seat out. With the seat in you can only see the two speakers. The black box on the back of the speaker enclousre is a manual crossover for the tweaters and drivers. A must for playing the speakers at their maximum volume without distortion or worry of blowing a driver. The rear passenger speaker is in the same location and has the same exact enclosure design.

This is front passenger's side speaker. Essentially the same enclosure as the rear two, but with the wedge design facing backwards. Its amazing that we were able to get a nothced out and carved up pressure treated 4 x 4 behind this speaker enclosure for barefoot boom support.

This is the driver's enclosure. It fires directly up into the driver's face, but does not get in the way at all when driving.

The head unit location is in the "glove" box. A very tight squeeze too.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
The amp. It is much cleaner than it looks in this photo. This is mounted underneath the passenger's side of the front end enclosure between two support fiber stringers for the top of the front of the boat. You can also see a portion of the sub box which runs up the driver's side of the storage area.

This is another pic of the sub enclosure.

And another pic of the sub enclosure. I only put a grill on the sub facing the passenger side as this comes in contact with the storage area. The other sub is essentially protected by the driver's foot rest.

One final pic of the driver's speaker enclosure.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
I like your work. If you ever sold the boat those would come right out and nobody woould even knoe they were there. Plus, it doesn't take away from such a straight exapmle. I have a collector car, but put my stereo in a similar way to not destroy the future value or desirability.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Stars and Stripes
Nice work. I will use some of your ideas for sure.....Thanks for the pics.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: supra comp
Call Jim Jackson at viper customs he can probably help you out with the interior he has restored several stars and stripes. His number is 865-388-4096.. Tell him you saw it on this site and you should get a discount.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by markismm View Post
This is a thread of my 1984 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. This is the 25th Summer this beauty has graced the waters of the Southeast. This boat is absolutely fabulous. It is all completely original including interior. The only modification that has been made is the addition of a Sony DriveSX head unit, Four 6 inch Cadence Kit Speakers, and Two 10 Inch MTX Subwoofers. I am extremely proud of this boat. The only imperfections are small dry cracks in the upholstery of the back seat. I would give anything or pay almost any amount to get my hands on a roll of this exact material/fabric/upholstery. I have spoken with "the upholstery guy" and he indicated that he is not aware of any of this material being in existence, at least in my boats' color. If someone knows of some, dear God, please let me know. I want to keep the boat completely original, but I fear that if i cannot find some material like this within the next two years, I will have no choice but to completely re-upholster the entire boat. Please let me know of any suggestions any one has. Also, let me know your thoughts on my boat. Thanks. Enjoy the pics.

This guy just got a interior done and the material stripe pattern looks much like yours, you may want to contact him and his upholsterer, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...07&postcount=1.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-2 RTP
Awesome boat. I'm curious where you got the cover for the spare tire. I've been trying to buy one, but it seems that one for a 14" are hard to come by. Thanks

And that link is to my boat. The interior is similar to your boat but instead of two thin heat pressed lines side by side it has one thicker line. It wouldn't match your interior.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarplease View Post
Awesome boat. I'm curious where you got the cover for the spare tire. I've been trying to buy one, but it seems that one for a 14" are hard to come by. Thanks

And that link is to my boat. The interior is similar to your boat but instead of two thin heat pressed lines side by side it has one thicker line. It wouldn't match your interior.
Oh crap, well I tried, looked similar, but........................

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarplease View Post

I recently purchased a 14" spare tire cover from the proshop, but I just checked and they no longer have them listed. Maybe your dealer could help you out.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-2 RTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1 View Post
Oh crap, well I tried, looked similar, but........................
I'm sure he appreciates the effort. From the research I have done, it seems the material he is after is forever gone. I think the material I used is the next best thing.

And russlars, I don't really have a dealer. I have bought a couple items from BAW. I guess they are the closest thing to me having a dealer. The only trouble is we're located a few states a part. They are trying to locate me a 50 amp alternator as we speak. I will ask them about the spare cover when they call back about the alternator.

Tags
original, speakers, stars and stripes, upholstery