Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
25th Anniversary of my 84 Stars and Stripes - All Original

This is a thread of my 1984 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. This is the 25th Summer this beauty has graced the waters of the Southeast. This boat is absolutely fabulous. It is all completely original including interior. The only modification that has been made is the addition of a Sony DriveSX head unit, Four 6 inch Cadence Kit Speakers, and Two 10 Inch MTX Subwoofers. I am extremely proud of this boat. The only imperfections are small dry cracks in the upholstery of the back seat. I would give anything or pay almost any amount to get my hands on a roll of this exact material/fabric/upholstery. I have spoken with "the upholstery guy" and he indicated that he is not aware of any of this material being in existence, at least in my boats' color. If someone knows of some, dear God, please let me know. I want to keep the boat completely original, but I fear that if i cannot find some material like this within the next two years, I will have no choice but to completely re-upholster the entire boat. Please let me know of any suggestions any one has. Also, let me know your thoughts on my boat. Thanks. Enjoy the pics.

Last edited by markismm; 04-26-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 PS197
Amazing and inspiring, wow!!!!! Are you the original owner?

There are tons of threads on this site about care, cleaning, and maintenance, but with that kind of history I would be interested to hear what upholstery cleaners/protectants and exterior waxes you have used. That gelcoat looks unbelievable!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
I think you have come to the right place. If anyone knows where to find some vinyl they will likely show up on this board. I am a new MC owner myself but every questions I have had so far I have been able to find either in the archives or straight from the folks who grace this board.

That is one nice S&S you have there. You see a lot of boats (like mine) that have been abused and need to be brought back to life. It is wonderful to see an original with an owner who cares about it as well.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Very nice boat and great job on keeping it up!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

The main thing I can say about taking care of the Gel Coat and Upholstery is that I have always stored the boat in a garage wihout a cover on it. Additionally, the boat is never left in the water for more than one night. Finally, everytime I take the boat out of the water I take a damp towel and wipe down the entire exterior quickly before storing. Most of the folks that I know that have similar boats either store them outside, use a cover (which invites mildew if the boat is put up wet), or never clean the boat's exterior before putting it up after each use. All of these things will extend the longevity of the gel coat and interior more than any product. Once or twice a year I do use Star Brite Polish with Teflon just as a UV protectant. As for the teak platform, I use the Star Brite three step teak restoration kit once every 3 years or so. This is the part of the boat that so many people abuse or neglect. The most important step by far for the platform, however, is using the teak oil (step 3) after each time the platform is submerged. This takes all but 3 minutes as you put the boat up at the end of the weekend and makes the boat look extraordinary.

Last edited by markismm; 04-26-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:17 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Wow, sounds like you know how to take care of a boat! Where in the southeast are you?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

I live in Midland, GA (basically part of Columbus, GA) and I ski on Lake Oliver during the weekdays near the north dam, and ski at Lake Harding and Lake Martin during the weekends. My father has been a marine mechanic for over 25 years. It is basically a family part-time business we do in his shop behind his house to make a little extra doe. If anyone needs any work on their boats, please give him a call. Its Tom's Marine Service - 706-392-0021.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Thumbs up

That's a beautiful Stars and Stripes. Thanks for sharing and good job on keeping it in such pristine condition. Welcome to Team Talk.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 Tournament Team 197
Wow...what a boat! That is awesome that you have cared for it so well. Post more pics and welcome to Team Talk!!
#46 of #100
Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1986 Tristar 220 351 pcm
Very nice!!

Tags
original, speakers, stars and stripes, upholstery