Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X10
Send a message via AIM to blacter Send a message via Yahoo to blacter
Stereo System Wiring - Need Help

Our 2004 X10 was broken into over the winter and all the stereo equipment was taken except for the head unit. I'm installing replacement gear today, but I'm not sure how to wire the two amps (JBL MA6002 and MA6004), so I could use some help.

Looks like the two-channel amp drives only the subwoofer. Correct? Do I hook it up in "Bridge" mode?

That would mean the four channel amp drives the six remaining speakers (two in the bow, two in the stern and the two on the tower). There's only one input cable pair. I assume I connect those to the jacks marked "Front Input." But where do I connect the speakers? There are two pairs each market "Front" and "Rear."

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Currently Rinker 212 R1 w/ wakeboard package and custom upgrades
I dont know what the specs are on the 4CH amp, but my preference when hooking 6 speakers to 4 channels would be to run all the interiors on the FRONT speaker channels of the amp. This will give a 2Ohm load to your interiors. Run each tower speaker, if wired separately (meaning speaker wire to each tower speaker) to the Rear speaker channels on your amp. This will give you tower speakers the best power and sound at 4 Ohms.

Second option.

Use your 2 CH amp to run each of your tower speakers (each speaker 4ohm and 60watts RMS). Then use your same setup as mentioned above for your 4 channel amp, however instead of running the tower speakers on the rear speaker output, bridge your amp on the rear speaker output to run the sub. This allows your to use your fader on your headunit to only run the interior speaker, only run the tower speakers, or fade in between. This would be what I would do if I were doing it.

If you need more detailed info just ask... I did this pretty generally, sorry rushed for time.

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

"Its easier to beg for forgivness than ask for permission"
Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks, BD. That helps a lot. Quick question: The 4-channel amp has two sets of inputs, one marked Front, the other Rear. If I just run the signal into the Front inputs will I be able to hook speakers to the rear outputs?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thats a good question.

Typically a head unit has front and rear outputs which typically would go to front and rear inputs on the amp, this allows for fader and balance control using the amp just as you would use the fader/balance control if the speakers were wired to the head unit.

That being said, you will have to play with it. It should be that if you plug ur RCA signal cable from your HU out to your Amp Input on either front or rear that you will get sound to all of your speakers (front and rear). However, some amps can be tricky with this. I have one 4ch (newer amp) that if you plug into front it only plays front but if you plug into rear it plays front and rear. I also have one (older amp) that you have to put White into front and Red into rear (cross them) inorder for all speakers to play. To be honest with you, play with it and see how that particular amp needs to have input signal to run all speakers.

Again as I said before, I would use the rear RCA output from the head unit to provide signal to the 2CH to run the tower speakers and then use the Front output from the head unit to run the interiors and bridged sub on your 4CH. This gives you that ability to shut the interiors down so you dont blare the ppl in the boat, while still allowing the rider to hear it.

As I have read the specs on your amps now, this will give setup will give you 60W RMS @ 4OHMS to each tower speaker. Your 4 interior speakers wired in parallel (2 speakers to 1CH) will give you a 2OHM load at 80W RMS and your sub bridged at 4OHMS will see 160W RMS. Is the sub open air, boxed, or ported. Is it Dual coil or single coil? If its a dual coil 4ohm sub you cannot bridge it, it presents a 2OHM load to the amp. However, if its a dual coil 2ohm sub you can....

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp

Check this website for wiring subs, its a great help....

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks again, BD. Just had a brainstorm...maybe. Suppose I plugged both the front and rear output from the HU into the four-channel amp and ran the output from that amp into the two-channel. Seems like that might save me from a bunch of trial and error.

Good idea?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

For what you just mentioned you would need 3 RCA signal cables vs. the 2 of the other setup....

Yes that works too, you would have to make sure that your setting on your Amp RCA outs are right (this part I have little knowledge on). Someone may be able to chime in on the correct settings, or check your owners manual, it should have some recommendations. I just have never wired an amp in with that particular configuration. However, doing this will not allow for control of the tower speakers independent of the interior speakers.

Sorry not trying to push the idea of the towers being separate of the interiors, I know a lot of guys including myself love the ability to run each independently.

Are your amps hard to get to in regards to switching the RCA's on to which amp input runs all the speakers? I know I can change mine in about 5 secs...

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

Last edited by Big Dogg; 04-27-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 PM
TT Newbie

Believe it or not, the manual for the amp says absolutely nothing about the Input side. And, yes, a certain amount of contortionism is required to make changes.

What if I kept the subwoofer on the two-channel amp, hook the tower speakers to the rear outputs of the four channel and the other four speakers to the front outputs of the four channel. Wouldn't I them be able to use the fader to turn the tower speakers on or off separately?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacter View Post
Believe it or not, the manual for the amp says absolutely nothing about the Input side. And, yes, a certain amount of contortionism is required to make changes.

What if I kept the subwoofer on the two-channel amp, hook the tower speakers to the rear outputs of the four channel and the other four speakers to the front outputs of the four channel. Wouldn't I them be able to use the fader to turn the tower speakers on or off separately?
I believe so, if you ran your signal input from your 4CH amp to your 2 CH amp. I would think the Fader option would still work. You again would have to run your front and rear HU outputs to your front and rear audio in on your 4CH.

This would allow your sub to play all the time and possible allow you to still control your interiors separate of your towers.

I am only making assumptions now, not 100% for sure because I have never wired amps like that. In theory though it makes sense....

MC Fan
Current - Rinker R1

Old 04-27-2009, 03:07 PM
TT Newbie

Once again, thanks, BD. I'm going to try that scheme. I'll let you know if it works.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Another amp would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.

Tags
amp, stereo, wiring