Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 02:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Xstar, 2013, 6.2
Wakefoiling

Anyone else using these wakefoils? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aoCIM0mjrU

Any tips on speeds/techniques that make it easier to learn?

Been riding it for a couple weeks with a group of experienced wakeboarders/surfers and while it's very fun we have had one ER visit for a cut from the foil and one separated shoulder from a wild crash. Anyone else having better luck or are these just kinda dangerous?

Full disclosure, ours didn't come with the shorter "training" foil so we skipped right to the 24" which probably wasn't the best idea.

Related... has anyone succeeded in no rope surfing with them? Very interested in setup/details/techniques for that if you have any to share?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X45
Haven't tried the wakefoil but I will say when we first started using the Air Chair years back the learning curve was very steep. Persistence was key. As well as keeping your core tight recognizing little body movements meant big movements for the foil. I would assume the same would apply for standing up. ER visits def sound dangerous and not surprising considering the foil isn't attached to your body in any way which is how it's avoided with the air chair. I would stay within surf speeds to begin with until you progress.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:29 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Xstar, 2013, 6.2
Thx, Yes so far we're maxing out at 13mph. We are launching riders very slowly also since you can pop up on the water with the foil at very low speed. ...and yes hear you on small movements. It's very twitchy.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, 2008 X45 LY6
Per the local shop I rented from we stayed between 10 and 15 mph, at both wakeboard length and surf length. At that speed I found it not too hard to get used to staying off the water. By the end of the day I could go for a while off the water.

2nd day we tried surfing it and I was able to ride the wave without the rope for a little bit. I will be renting it once more this summer.

I used the other wakefoil, not the slingshot one.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X14
I surfed behind the boat with mine with a 30" mast and to me it was like, meh, why bother. I felt like a caged animal stuck right behind the boat. Woop de doo I could go forward a few feet, back a few feet, left and right a few feet. Boring! I much prefer to get outside the wake and carve. As people say, it is like riding a snowboard in endless powder.

Here is a video of me made about a month ago. I am now strapless and starting to learn to jump with it. Oh and I can go out on the roughest days and ride like I am on a magic carpet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrMXGUKlQs&t=1s
Old 08-04-2017, 08:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
Two words:
sit down
or possibly: strap in
or possibly: Sky Ski
or possibly: Air Chair
Just my .02