Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 12:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1st
2015 x2 vs 2017 nxt 20

Looking at these 2 boats, which will be my first boat for the family.
Mostly for wife and 2 kids, but hoping to get out with friends and family. use primarily for wake board and surfing. Also lounging.

Obviously the nxt is a step down in finishes (i.e. The analogue gauges, ballast controls, surf memory, and some visual bling but being 2 years newer and 2 additional years of warranty, I'm wondering if it's actually a better purchase. Also a little worried about the fact that they have discontinued the x2 and if that will hurt the resale value.

The nxt includes most of the standard upgrade options added convenience, audio, surf system, and heater

The x2 is loaded as well, also has the zft tower.

The price will be close to the same, hoping someone on here may have had the same dilemma recently. They had a 16 x2 at the dealership, really wished I would have given it a closer look, but figured they were out of range. I did go through a few nxt 20s and a 22
Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 x2
x2 resale will be fine.......probably better....and it's likely already taken the bulk of it's depreciation hit

no reason not to take a look at the 16' to at least know.....

personally I would rather have the fit/finish of the X2 over the NXT20 and the couple more inches of beam ...having owned a 13' X2 maybe Im biased - the NXT 20 is a very nice boat but It just didn't resonate w/ me like the X and XT series does

now the NXT 22 if it was on the list - that boat seems huge -again never ridden in one and Im limited to a 20ft lake - but the setup and extra room could be positives of a different kind depending on what you think your future needs may be
Old 06-20-2017, 02:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
NXT22 will have a better surf wake hands down... its fantastic! X2 will do everything and Ski also!

NXT22 will have a lot more room on the interior also. X2 is roomy for a 20' boat.

As mentioned above, depreciation already hit the X2 so it will "hold" value a little better but the used boat market is pretty hot right now as the cost of new boats are high.

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2017 Audi S3 Technik Ara Blue Crystal Effect with Advanced Handling package
Old 06-20-2017, 02:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
More warranty would be the only reason for the NXT in my mind. I just can't get over the tower on the NXT. X2 is such a better looking boat. Perhaps I'm biased since I own one. I would maybe consider the 22' version over the x2, but not the 20. How many hours are on the x2? If they are high, that could sway things.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1st
There's a little over a 100hrs on the x2. I looked at the xt20 at the dealership, but I really hate looking at stuff I can't buy.

The nxt 22 would be around 7k more per the dealer. Not much more money, but there is definitely more room.

Last edited by Elnino31; 06-20-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
The X2 has a much better tower, interior but more importantly better ballast pumps which is a key feature for a wake sports boat. The NXT ballast systems are ok but have read several threads about pump priming issues. If you are an audio guy the NXT is kind of a kick in the azz when you realise you have to replace every speaker in the boat and tower to get truly great sound. At first glance the speakers appear to be the same as the X boats but in reality they are smaller and of a lower component grade. If audio is not important than this is nothing to loose sleep over.

SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190

Old 06-21-2017, 11:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1995 Prostar 190 LT1/Powerslot
Spend some time both in and behind both and see what appeals to you the most. Both are well built boats and the X2 will have more features than the NXT. NXT20 will have a smaller footprint on the water but interior room is almost identical between the seat pads, bow was a little bigger on the X2 and NXT20 felt like it had a larger main cabin. Tower on the NXT took some getting used to but I do like it a lot better when seeing it in person.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 NXT 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnino31 View Post
Looking at these 2 boats, which will be my first boat for the family.
Mostly for wife and 2 kids, but hoping to get out with friends and family. use primarily for wake board and surfing. Also lounging.

Obviously the nxt is a step down in finishes (i.e. The analogue gauges, ballast controls, surf memory, and some visual bling but being 2 years newer and 2 additional years of warranty, I'm wondering if it's actually a better purchase. Also a little worried about the fact that they have discontinued the x2 and if that will hurt the resale value.

The nxt includes most of the standard upgrade options added convenience, audio, surf system, and heater

The x2 is loaded as well, also has the zft tower.

The price will be close to the same, hoping someone on here may have had the same dilemma recently. They had a 16 x2 at the dealership, really wished I would have given it a closer look, but figured they were out of range. I did go through a few nxt 20s and a 22

Drop the extra 7K for the 22. You will never look back. Having said that, and owning all 3 boats mentioned, the X2 is a great boat. Everyone I know that has had an X2 always looks back and says that they miss many aspects of the X2. My order of favorites is:

1) NTX 22
2) X2
3) NTX 20

The reason we went to the 22 is my wife missed the space of the X2 compared to the NXT20 and daddy got a bigger wave. The NXT22 rides great in rough water. For an extra 2 feet, it is a COMPLETELY different boat than the 20.
2002 White and Yellow 209