Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2014, 01:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X10
X10 piggyback ballast

I'm sure I'm far from the first to come up with this but thought I'd throw it out there and take some pics for anyone who was interested. I added ballast to the port side of my '13 X10 for surfing. I purchased the piggyback upgrade from wake makers which was quick and simple to install. I also bought the straight line 600 sumo sac which ends up being a perfect fit for the rear compartment on the X10. Just one word of caution, the fittings on the straight line sacs take a larger thread than the fly high sacs so you can't use the NPT fittings from fly high if you already have those. I learned the hard way and had to delay my install to get the proper fittings.

The only thing I did that was different from the standard install was make the bag easily removable. I'm coming from a Supra 21V and after a while I hated having to deal with ballast bags was a pain. That's why I did things this way on the X10. When I'm not using the extra ballast, I don't want the bag in there. In addition to the piggy back kit, I ordered a male 1" NPT to 1" barbed fitting and a straight 1" NPT female fitting. You can see in the pictures that when I'm not using the bag, the overflow connects and works like normal for just the factory ballast. When I put the bag in, I disconnect the overflow and hook it up to the bag with the extension that is in one of the pictures.

Name:  image-2.jpeg
Views: 209
Size:  30.8 KB
Name:  image-1.jpeg
Views: 210
Size:  32.1 KB
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 213
Size:  37.2 KB
Old 08-18-2014, 02:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-35, 2008, LY6
Nice work. Worth posting. I did the same thing when my wife gave me the "are you kidding me" look when she opened the rear hatch and saw the massive waste of space in the back of our X-35 when the bags are empty.

Related to this install - how did you get the stock hose off the tank to put the new hose from wakemakers on it? (which already has the quick connect on it)

I ended up having to keep the stock hose on, cut the quick connect off the pre-assembled wakemakers hose and attach it to the stock hose.

Obviously I'm missing something since it's supposed to be quick to install...
Old 08-18-2014, 02:55 PM
TT Newbie

It's definitely on there tight. I ended up using a lot of heat from my wife's old hair dryer that I repurposed as a heat gun in my garage. It still took some doing and a decent amount of wiggling and rocking back and forth to get it. On the new fittings, the barbed fittings aren't that bad but the female NPT's are a little oversized for the 1" hose. I used heat until the tubing was nice and soft and light coating of vaseline to make it easy. I found that when heating the tubing up enough to flare around the fitting it also made it tacky, thus the vaseline.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:07 PM
TT Regular

I couldn't even get the hose clamp off. It's burried under the floor pretty well. Floor doesn't appear to come up without significant effort, seemed easier just to use the existing hose. Sounds like yours was more accessible?
Old 08-18-2014, 05:23 PM
TT Newbie

I'm guessing so. In the first picture where you see the hose at the bottom, that's a threaded fitting that screws into the top of the hard tank. With the kit for my boat you replace the straight fitting with an elbow. The fitting comes out of the hard tank in the area between the rear seat and rear storage locker.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 PM
TT Regular

Right, figured it was easier otherwise wakemakers wouldn't sell it all pre-assembled. In my X-35, the threaded fitting they want you to remove and replace with the elbow is accessed by a cutout in the flooring on top of the tank. Can't get at it so left it as is.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
LD50 - What is the pain with leaving the bags in there when they are deflated? Just curious, because this has never bothered me before.

Click on the link above for Jabsco repair parts, including bearings, o-rings, lip seals and many other ballast pump parts.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
LD50 - What is the pain with leaving the bags in there when they are deflated? Just curious, because this has never bothered me before.
My guess is mold prevention, I take EVERYTHING out of the boat to dry out.

I have been debating on hard plumbing these into the factory.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM
TT Newbie

It's partially personal preference and the fact that it clutters things up. My kids constantly are wet and in and out of the boat so inevitably the carpet in there gets wet and won't dry with the bag on top of it. I was always pulling them out of my old boat either to aid drying or to dump the last gallon or so of water out of them. I also mostly wakeboard and don't always need the extra ballast. If I fill the back tanks to capacity, I want the excess water to go out the overflow and not into the bag.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:10 AM
TT Regular

Agree with LD50. I'm in the ocean and keep my boat in a dry stack marina. I like to make sure the bags are empty of seawater and dried out so I often take them home for that reason. Nice to have the ballast system returned to stock if you end up on the water without the bags.