Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2015, 12:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Pro 197
06 MCX 197 Fuel Pump/ Kill Switch Question

I know this has been discussed in many other threads but I wanted to see if I am missing something.

Day 1: Boat is idling for approximately 2 minutes and all of a sudden in begins to sputter and die. I thought that was strange. I started the boat and went out to run it. For the same throttle setting the power began to decrease and boat died.

Day 2: I researched all the threads on this website and determined that I needed to replace the pump. It was the original pump and had 420hrs of operation. I went to Napa and they cross referenced the pump to the Delphi FE0154?

Day 3: Picked up the pump, installed the pump and boat ran like a champ. First try starting no issue. Slalom Course skiing no problem.

Day 4: Put 4 gallons of 89 octane in it just to keep it towards towards full. I cranked the engine and it just rotates. No fire. On try 3 the boat started and runs like a champ. No miss or hesitation. If i turn the boat off and immediately turn it back on it starts right up. If I let sit for 10-15 min, it just rotates. On attempt 3 it starts and runs fine.

What could be the issue. Advice Needed. The boat has never had anything go wrong until now.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2015, 12:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
The hose is leaking back in the tank losing pressure making it hard to start.
Triple check the hose making sure it's tight and not leaking.
If you read the fuel pump 101 thread (Not sure you did as you bought a different pump) there's a lot of info on that hose and hard start
Good luck.
Should be an easy job.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:15 PM

Boat: 06 X30
You've probably go an internal leak or pinch in the hose that goes from the pump up to the fuel regulator. I had it happen to me when I did a quick lake fix. Got the boat home and tore the pump back out and fixed the hose and it's ran fine ever since.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thank you for the help. I will research that thread a bit more. In regards to the hose that is loosing pressure are you talking about the black hose that attaches to the pump?
Old 07-05-2015, 12:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
Yep - most likely the hose clamp you installed on the barb on top of the fuel pump isn't tight enough to create a good seal. Rent a fuel pressure gauge. Hook it to the fitting on the fuel rail. Turn the key on, without starting the engine. Pump should prime the fuel system and you should get somewhere around 58 PSI on the gauge - and it should stay there. If pressure begins to drop then you have a leak - and if you are like most of us, the only connection you changed was the one on top of the fuel pump.
FWIW - most people use the Airtex E2044 pump. But if NAPA managed to cross reference one then maybe you're ok.

Last edited by Skyskiguy; 07-05-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thank you, Napa did the cross reference and the boat makes full power. I was kinda in a hurry and thats what the had in stock. I should of ordered the pump prior. You live and learn. I do recall that black line that I replaced with the screw hose clamp was not as snug as I thought it should be. I wonder with the driving I did if it loosened up? I cant use the boat for the next 4 days. Off to work, but I will fix on Friday.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by baedriver View Post
I cant use the boat for the next 4 days. Off to work, but I will fix on Friday.
You won't sleep well.Might as well take tomorrow off work and fix that boat!
Priorities man!
Old 07-13-2015, 03:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Update, I replaced the black fuel line from the pump. This fixed all the problems of the pressure lost. Starts like new.

Thanks for all the help.