Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2016, 10:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
Lake LBJ

Hey fellow Texans...

Canyon Lake is our home lake, but tomorrow we're heading up to LBJ for a weekend. We're towing the travel trailer and boat and staying at Sunset Point RV park, which is on the east side of the lake and has slips for the boat.

It seems to have stopped raining, at least for a few days, so looking forward to the first time on the water for the year.

So what's the scoop on LBJ? Any shallow areas to watch out for? Is it well marked with hazard buoys?

Any good spots to find calm water, or must stop marinas or restaurants?

Looking forward to some camping and boating. Thanks in advance for any insights!
Old 05-20-2016, 01:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
I launched on LBJ once about 10 years ago. Was out 20 minutes before I returned to the ramp. Way to crowded for me - especially on the east side of the lake. Ended up driving to Buchanan instead.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:16 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
There are some shallow areas along the Llano river arm and some hidden boulders as well. Colorado river arm is navigable and the boulders at the end of the navigable portion are obvious.

You guys are on the other side of the lake, but if you ventured up that far, I figured I'd mention it.

It's not the smoothest lake unless you get up at the crack of dawn. However, when we were kids, we would ski along the "granite shoals," which tended to be a fairly skiiable area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...9!4d-98.402664

A bit more built up than it used to be.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, PCM GT40, 310 hp, Standard Gear Reduction, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Be kind. Have fun.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
wish you had posted a bit sooner!!! LBJ is one of our main go to lakes and both my wife & I grew up in that area, so we know all the upper lakes extremely well.

smoothest water will be up either the CO past Kingsland past the double bridges (railroad & FM1431) or the Llano to the 2900 bridge, use caution past the 2900 as there are shifting sandbars. You have about 8-9 miles up the CO past the bridges without any real underwater hazards before getting to the buoys around Sherwood Shores warning of shallower water, and if you continue on another 1/2 mile or so, the channel makes a pretty hard right hand turn with more buoys that indicate very shallow water with HUGE boulders slightly under the water level. Do NOT try to navigate past these!!!

You are down much closer to the dam and it's usually pretty rough all the way up past Sunrise Beach. Sandy creek comes in on the south side just east of Sunrise Beach and there might be some decent water along the eastern most side but the western side is usually a long sand bar that a lot of people go to anchor & swim. Occassionally there will be some decent water on the south side between Horseshoe bay and Applehead Island but doesn't take many boats to wreak havoc on the water and make a slow pass as there is more sandbars that drift depending on recent heavy rains.