Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 10:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 prostar 205
351 windsor cooling issue

1992 Prostar 205 , 351 Windsor , 143 thermostat
Boat starts fine , never fails to crank , runs fine , idles fine .....

Problem is , after the boat is warm , whenever I turn it off , heatsink sets in and gets me up into the 160ish temp range . Upon restart , the boat used to cool down immediately and drop right back into the 130ish temperature range where it has always ran .
The last couple outings I noticed that upon restart the temp is up to 160ish like normal with the heatsink and if I just sit still and let the boat keep idling without moving , it keeps creeping higher and higher in temperature . I literally have to give it gas to force water through the motor to start it to cool and drop the temp back where it's supposed to be , once I've gave it the gas and cooled it back to 130ish , I can sit and idle all day long and it won't budge . I can turn it off and immediately crank it and it does it again , doesn't prime and temps starts climbing til I give it gas again ....

Once I noticed this I changed the impeller and gasket , thermostat and gasket , pulled all hoses to check for blockages and checked my transmission cooler as well , tightened all hoses back with socket and ratchet to make sure I didn't have any air leaks . Took the boat back out over the weekend and it did the same thing . Runs great , starts fine , but I still have to put it in gear and give it gas to make it begin cooling ...

At this point I'm stumped , it obviously has a priming issue and I hope someone has dealt with this before and can stear me in the right direction , I'm pretty good mechanically , but I have done most all I know to do ..

Could this be a water pump issue ? The water pump itself is quiet , does not leak any water and spins fine , doesn't wobble around .. What else should I be checking , looking for ? Any help is appreciated , thanks guys
Old 08-01-2017, 11:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Exhaust risers are likely blocked a little not letting water out. Could also be the exhaust hose

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2017, 11:31 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
About the only thing you haven't done is back-flush the cooling system. It's worth a try.

Is it possible that you connected the hoses incorrectly to the raw water pump and it is running backwards? I know there are some of our boats that this can happen and make people pull their hair out.

It is possible for the impeller in the engine water pump to deteriorate, especially if someone installed an automotive instead of a marine engine water pump.

$125 LED LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $249 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS
FOR 302, 351 & 454 STARTING AT $425 DELIVERED
Email - tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-02-2017, 09:39 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
About the only thing you haven't done is back-flush the cooling system. It's worth a try.

Is it possible that you connected the hoses incorrectly to the raw water pump and it is running backwards? I know there are some of our boats that this can happen and make people pull their hair out.

It is possible for the impeller in the engine water pump to deteriorate, especially if someone installed an automotive instead of a marine engine water pump.

Thanks for the suggestions guys , I have actually back flushed the system already , forgot to mention that .. Everything is connected correctly as there wouldn't be enough hose length to hook it up incorrectly .. As for the risers being clogged , surely with the amount of water I'm getting out of the exhaust when I run it on the fake a lake system that there's no way it's the risers ..

That leads me back to the water pump ... I'm not firmiliar with them , I do know the one that is on the boat is the factory one and has over 1000 hours on it . How hard is this to change out ? I hate to start throwing money at the thing , but I've exhausted all other things that it could be .. I'm no mechanic but I can deff tell that it isn't priming upon start up , once I force the water through its fine and cools like normal ... any other suggestions or leads as to what I should be checking for to tell if it's the waterpump ?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Sounds like you've got it figured out then. Yeah, if that pump has a 1000 hours on it, it could definitely stand to be changed.

As for the risers, yes if you are getting equal water out of both sides on the fake lake in the driveway, that's likely not the problem.

Sounds like the raw water pump is having to do all the work!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2017, 01:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Toilet plunger method is still applying some water pressure to the impeller. I would remove the hose from the water inlet strainer (bottom of the hull) and stick the hose end in a 5 gallon bucket of water and then start it up. The impeller should be able to empty the bucket in about 20 or 30 seconds at idle. If it's not sucking water from the bucket, I'd disconnect the outlet hose from the impeller water pump (not the end attached to the pump) and lay it in the bilge, then start it again. If little to no water comes out, then there is still an impeller issue.
If it drains the bucket quickly, then you know you have another issue. My 2 cents.

Last edited by ahhudgins; 08-02-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
Toilet plunger method is still applying some water pressure to the impeller.

If it drains the bucket quickly, then you know you another issue. My 2 cents.

I like that - I don't personally like pulling the hose off the thru hull - being threaded that's kind of a bear and seems to tear up the rubber hose plus I always run double hose clamps on thru hull side - so I would buy some spare hose and just swap at the trans cooler. But that should really show if the raw water pump is pulling.

There is no sign of water leaking around the raw water pump is there?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:01 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
I like that - I don't personally like pulling the hose off the thru hull - being threaded that's kind of a bear and seems to tear up the rubber hose plus I always run double hose clamps on thru hull side - so I would buy some spare hose and just swap at the trans cooler. But that should really show if the raw water pump is pulling.

There is no sign of water leaking around the raw water pump is there?
No sign of any water leaking around the pump , no wobble , but like I stated in earlier post the pump does have over 1000 hours on it .. The boat is at the lake house in the garage , I will be trying the bucket method on Saturday morning once I'm up at the house .. Hoping this thing turns out to be the pump so I can get this issue resolved and I will once again have alittle peace of mind while on the water ..

One other thing I found when searching here on the site was a guy with this same issue , he didn't have waterpump issues , it was working fine like mine seems to be , it turned out that on the fords , there is a water passage on the heads that is large , the head gasket is designed to only cover half of that passage . Once the gasket deteriorates and opens up to the full size of the passage on the heads , it causes the motor to not prime and run hot ... New gaskets fixed his problem .. I'm hoping the pump is shot because I sure don't wanna have to chase that monkey down to the head gaskets ...
Fingers crossed on Saturday that I can come up with a sure fire answer to the problem .. I will report my findings . Thanks for all the help guys , love this forum , I don't post much but I'm always lurking ..
Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Transmission Cooler Clogged?

I have a '93 ProStar 205 and as part of the winterizing I remove the hose from the transmission cooler and check for debris. Usually it is clean but 25% of the time there is crap in there. This cooler is about 1 foot up the hose from the lake water intake. It is the first place debris will be trapped by the system.
Good luck.