Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-10-2009, 08:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
94 Prostar 190, slight refurb thread

So I figured I could start a thread about this.

We just bought a boat this year, our first. My girlfriend and I are both grad students so money is very tight but skiing is far too important to not blow every penny of savings on.

Anyway, this boat had seen better days aesthetically. It was a boat that the dealer really just wanted to get out of the way because it made the rest of his stock look bad. We decided it was a good deal because the motor (LT-1) was very strong and showed no signs of any major problems. It has a power-slot option, very cool. The vinyl had a good deal of mold/mildew stains but no significant tears or signs of cracking.

It seems like an easy cleaner and we get the boat we want for about $4 less than we had budgeted to spend...

Here she is the day we brought it home in February.

There were some mechanical issues I had to deal with immediately, and we purchased a new PPSG system which I wanted to install. Here is a list of things I had to do, again, nothing major but enough that the dealer apparently didn't want to mess with it.

-New shaft seal, I used a GFO seal material from skidim.com
-Patched a hole in a muffler w/ JB weld
-New impeller (didn't really need to do this, the old one looks ok but did anyway)
-New plugs
-New fuel filter
-New starter (in progress)
-Cleaned all fuel screens
-Re greased steering cable and rudder assembly
-Installed new prop
-Purchased new cover

There were some other little things as well but that is the bulk of it.

So shortly after I began to tackle this list I was given an opportunity by Owen at Boatmate Trailers to get my trailer refurbished for free. They did an awesome job and I cannot say thank you enough to them. Here are a few pictures of what the boat looked like after the new trailer was finished.

Last edited by Craig; 04-10-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Next Steps

So after the mechanical issues were dealt with I began to develop a plan for bringing this boat out of the gutter and giving us a boat we can be proud of.

I will preface all of this by saying that I am not trying to take a beat up boat and make it a show queen. We will be using this boat a lot because we love to ski so it will inevitably take some abuse. However, I do want to make her as nice as I can within our budget constraints.

Gelcoat

The first thing I bought was a gel coat restoration kit from www.properboatcare.com. I haven't tackled this project yet but I plan too as soon as I get the interior finished. I am also considering replacing the decals but I'm not sure just yet.

The gelcoat is a bit rough yet...

Interior

I should be able to scrub down the interior pretty well I think and get rid of most of the stains. There are no major tears so there are no plans to replace the vinyl. The drivers seat is the worst.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

The teak

I feel like I shouldn't even post these on here but one other project I have been working on was refinishing the teak. I had been doing this along side of the mechanical projects I was working on initially.

I used the Starbrite teak kit that is so highly recommended.

I first gave the platform a good scrubbing with some soap and water, it was not in the best shape. I do not have a picture from before I did anything to it but here is one after the inital cleaning.

Then I used the starbrite cleaner and brightener. I did not let the teak dry between these steps so here is the teak clean and wet and then brightened and dryed. I had let the teak dryout for a few days before I put the first coat of oil on it. I also did some light sanding with some 400 grit paper before the oil went on.

Finally, the refinished teak after the first coat of oil. I ended up putting 5 coats of oil on letting it sit in the sun when I could and giving 2-3 days between coats. The first coat sat for about 10 days.

It looks a bit better now after a few coats, so I will try and get a picture of that.

I am a rookie, but I feel pretty good about the teak for now.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: "81" 351 Power Slot, Blue on Blue
Wow, things are just falling in place for you. Sounds like she'll be a good boat for you. Congratulations!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:50 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Keep up the good work and you,ll have a great looking ski machine very soon.
A 94 hull with LT 1 AND Powerslot is one of the best engine/tranny/skiboat trio of all time.
Got the small set up in my 94,TBI and 1:1,but everybody ski better behind my boat then behind theirs.The wake is very low and soft,you'll love it!!!
Congrats!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Interior Trials

So I was trying some different things on the interior the past couple of nights.

The first thing was the manufacturer recommended concoction to clean the vinyl. This was the ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, and water mixture that I found in the interior cleaning guide on this site. I can't find the link currently, but I know it is around here somewhere.

Anyway, I thought it worked pretty well, but it didn't get all the mildew/mold stains up so I wanted to try something tougher. A friend of mine uses this stuff called Betco (aka Spitfire) to get out tough stuff on his Mastercraft so I thought I would give it a shot. It worked out ok, but I thought it only worked marginally better than the ammonia mixture.

here are some before and after pics of the OB seat. In the first I had already cleaned the right seat. In the second both back sections and the seat cushion had been cleaned. You can see there is still some stain on the seats.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get more of this stain out I am open to them. I still need to do the rest of the interior.

Finally, the dash looked pretty good. Just put some 303 on it and it was good to go. I love seeing the Perfect Pass in there!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Great job pal!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
Coming along quite nicely! That is a nice boat! Good score on the trailer refurb too!! When you got the gelcoat kit from properboatcare, did the circular polisher come with it or did you buy it separately? I was looking on the site and it seemed to me that all of the polishers were separate?! Maybe I'm just missing something. Have you tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for the vinyl? That worked for me with stubborn mildew stain. Don't forget the 303 Vinyl Protectant afterward.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: It's always changing! X-Star-Prostar190/205-Maristar
This is a great example of what a little sweat equity will do for you! Keep up the good work.....the boat is looking great!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
Coming along quite nicely! That is a nice boat! Good score on the trailer refurb too!! When you got the gelcoat kit from properboatcare, did the circular polisher come with it or did you buy it separately? I was looking on the site and it seemed to me that all of the polishers were separate?! Maybe I'm just missing something. Have you tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for the vinyl? That worked for me with stubborn mildew stain. Don't forget the 303 Vinyl Protectant afterward.
The polisher did not come with the kit. There was one kit that came with the dual-action polisher (circular/orbital) and but it was a VERY expensive polisher compared with the $70 vector machine.

The kit I bought is here:

http://www.properboatcare.com/gelcopadkitb.html

I then bought the vector polisher, a backing plate, an extra wool pad, and a bottle of the heavy cut polish.

All together it was about $225. Not bad if it works as well as I think it will.