Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X45
04 X30 vs 05 X Star

How do the two compare. Mostly surfing with some wake boarding. Usually have around 6-8 people. 30 has the MCX, star has the escalade motor. I've heard the star isn't as good for surfing. How does it compare to the older hull 30?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NA
X-30 for sure if you are primarily surfing. The X-Star is very linear and does that one job the best. I have seen some amazing surf wakes from X-30s, plus it has more room.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I have an '05 X-star and my former boat was an '03 230VRS (same as X-30)

We mostly wakeboard so for me the choice was easy. Never surfed the 230 but I would imagine it's better than the star. Properly weighted the star surfs fine for me though, just have to stay close to the platform.

Pros and cons.

X-star: more room in bow area, less room in center of cockpit. Much better wakeboard wake, higher resale value, more cool factor, handles better in the turn (230 has no center tracking fins), larger swim platform, nicer guage cluster.

230: more room in center of cockpit, higher top speed but it porpoises at higher speeds and needs a wake plate. Hull tends to slide in turns without the help of center fins.

'04 boats had throttle cable, not throttle by wire like in '05
Also '04 used Clarion speakers and '05 used JL speakers
I think the later LY6 engine got better than the early LQ9, not sure what year they switched. Both of my boats had the MCX, good engine.

You should drive both, ride behind both and surf both if possible. What's the price difference? (It should be substantial)