Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
GregS

Hole in Hull????

We just put our Prostar 190 back in the water after the long winter. We were going to wash and wax the trailer when we noticed one of the bolts sticking out of the bunk. I didn't know if it vibrated up on the way back to the house...so I checked the boat...just to make sure. Well....we have a nice hole in the hull! Its about the size of a quarter maybe a half dollar. How should we fix it?

Products to use? Its on the lift now.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Greg
Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 TT 2007
I wouldn't touch it... take it to a glass shop to have it fixed.

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11
Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1980 Mastercraft S&S Powerslot, 351 Windsor
Send a message via AIM to americanskierJim
It is on the bottom my vote duck tape NO NO I am just kidding do like D3 said take it to the shop.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:29 PM
GregS

Duct tape....thats a great idea. Its under the boat!!!! Just kidding. Nobody has made a repair like this before?????
Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 TT 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Duct tape....thats a great idea. Its under the boat!!!! Just kidding. Nobody has made a repair like this before?????
unless you are experienced with glass it's always been best suggested to let a glass shop fix it right.

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11
Old 05-18-2010, 12:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Are you sure you didn't hit something in the water (hint-insurance will cover the repair bill)? If it's just a gouge, you could do your own gelcoat fix. But if it's all the way through, w/o question I would call insurance and let the pros fix it.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I could see a bunk bolt putting a good scuff, scratch into the 'glass, but a hole? Like someone took the nut off and smacked it with a hammer into the hull?
Either way, bottom of the boat is a good place to practice your repair skillz since cosmetically, noone will see it. If it's all the way thru and you can see it from the inside (probably not b/c the bunks line up with the stringers I think??), put a piece of backing over it and stuff it full of resin coated fiberglass. Make sure it's pretty solid resin/glass all the way to the surface either way.
Then grind down a nice square patch of gel around the repair, with sharp square edges, at least 1/16" deep, up to 1/8".
Order up some gel coat paste from Spectrum color, or a small can of matching gel if your boat is too old to get a tube of the gel paste.
Follow the gelcoat instructions, there are several threads on here about it and on Spectrum's site.
Be proud of your handywork and if it isn't perfect, at least it's on the bottom under the bunk. Noone except a wayward scuba diver could ever see it!
Other than basic hand tools, a dremel or small grinder and polisher are the only power tools you'd need.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
If you want to try the DIY route visit here, http://www.diy-fiberglass-boat-repair.com/
Here is a start for the gelcoat and some materials, http://www.spectrumcolor.com/default.asp and
http://www.gelcoatproducts.com/boat.html

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I'm no expert but I would tend to agree with Thrall on an attempt to fix it.

I just spent this last weekend doing a fiberglass repair on my trailer fender and am quite impressed actually. I've never worked with fiberglass but it does dry hard and very solid. From my laymans point of view, I would do some light sanding on both sides so that the fiber/resin can get a good bond and then go to town.

I know that they make a "gorilla hair" type of fiberglass mixture which could work pretty good for you. As long as you don't disturb too much of the surrounding area, I'd give it a shot. If not, bring it to a fiberglass shop.

I used a wire wheel brush to get to a clean, bondable surface. Once dry (like 1-2 hours), I took the wire wheel to get it roughly to the shape I needed. Then hit it with some sand paper.

Again, I'm no expert and have only done fiberglass once!

Good luck.

1994 205, LT1