Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Recarpeting an 00 X-Star

Anyone ever done this? How hard is it? What does it entail?
Anyone have it done? Ball park having it done VS DIY?

My carpet is showing some signs of wear in the cockpit and is starting to unravel in a small out of the way section so figure its best to get that taken care of. I am debating on going with one of MyMC's carpet inserts instead of re-doing the whole floor. I have kids so I think being able to remove the carpet would be great feature, but you know it is only covering the problem so to speak so that kind of bugs me, but the cost for the mat isn't that bad. Thoughts..... opinions?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 215
When I recarpeted my previous boat, i was able to carefully pull up the old carpet and then use it as a template to cut the new carpet I was putting down. This made the new carpet much easier to set into the boat and I only had to do some minor triming before I glued it down.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
The carpet in my boat was trashed when I bought it. I ended up having a local upholstery shop put in some snap-in carpet right on top of the old stuff. It looks awesome and was cheaper than having the upholstery shop redo everything. I think I spent less than $500 to get this done and we love it, makes cleaning the boat up a lot easier...lots of sand gets tracked into our boat from the island we hang out on all summer long.

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpolen View Post
The carpet in my boat was trashed when I bought it. I ended up having a local upholstery shop put in some snap-in carpet right on top of the old stuff. It looks awesome and was cheaper than having the upholstery shop redo everything. I think I spent less than $500 to get this done and we love it, makes cleaning the boat up a lot easier...lots of sand gets tracked into our boat from the island we hang out on all summer long.
any issues with mold/mildew from the old carpet? if i'm reading right you didn't pull the old stuff out, right? do you have to remove the snap out each time you go out, or is there enough of a barrier on the bottom of the carpet that the old stuff simply doesn't get wet?

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 03-23-2009, 05:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemac View Post
any issues with mold/mildew from the old carpet? if i'm reading right you didn't pull the old stuff out, right? do you have to remove the snap out each time you go out, or is there enough of a barrier on the bottom of the carpet that the old stuff simply doesn't get wet?
You are correct, the original carpet is still in there, the new stuff sits right on top of it. I haven't had any issues with mold/mildew (my boat sits in an uncovered slip all summer long). I generally pull the carpet out a couple times a summer to clean up. It has some type of rubber backing on it, so the underlying original carpet never gets wet. I think this was a great investment. Mine is just two pieces that snap in...not sure how many the newer MC's have, but I think having just one piece would make it more cumbersome to use. The only thing that I don't love about my setup is that I have to pull up the forward piece of carpet to get access to the ski locker. It's not a huge deal since my slalom ski will never see the bowels of my boat as I've got a ski rack on my tower.

Doug

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!

Last edited by dpolen; 03-23-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:02 PM
MC Devotee

yeah, that looks nice and i bet it's comfy too with that extra layer of carpet below it.

2003 X-2 MCX
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Since we've had the boat, I've had carpet mats on top of the factory carpet to prevent wear and to keep the feet cool. The mats are backed with red felt so they adhere to the carpet and won't shift or blow out and the felt captures any debris from the carpet mat backing. Every couple years, I take them out, clean them with a biodegradable cleaner, rinse and hang out in the sun to drain and dry or put them on the roof of the garage to dry. Vacuum them and back in the boat they go.
Attachment 45493

Attachment 45494

Attachment 45495

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 06-15-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
harold, is that shag carpet?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:50 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
harold, is that shag carpet?
I don't know what it is, could be, the mats are over 15 years old, just feels good and cool under the feets! I was lucky to find all 5 pieces of the same style/color, with the edges already bound at a carpet store, so I didn't ask, Originally, I had red mats made that had a rubber backing, the backing broke down, started coming apart like sand and I had one mell of a hess! I had to do something cooler and something that the backing wouldn't come apart.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 03-23-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 PM
MC Devotee

i like both ideas. what does jim@baws sell?

2003 X-2 MCX