Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2004, 01:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 mastercraft sportstar 19, chevy 305 260 hp
Whose fault was it?

Where I launch my boat at a private marina there are two locked pylons that need to be removed to drive down the boat launch. I reversed up to about 10ft in front of the pylons and threw my cousin the keys to unlock the pylons blocking the boat launch.

Now get in mind that the boat is currently in front of both of these pylons so I can't see either of them. I just know that when they are both out there is lots of space to back up.

I start reversing the trailer then BANG I have reversed into one of the pylons. It turns out my cousin only removed one of the pylons because he said that there is enough room to reverse back with only 1 pylon removed.

1. It is true that this is possible but there is only 1 ft on either side of the boat trailer if you remove one pylon therefore I always have removed both of them any time I do it.

2. The boat was in front of both of the pylons so I had no way of seeing whether one or two pylons was out. He should've told me that he only took one pylon out.

Now gets to the frustrating part people are saying that it is MY fault for not seeing the pylons. I say I had no way to see the pylons and I always just assumed that any sane person would remove both of the pylons. Every single other time I have launched the boat at this boat launch I have removed both of the pylons and my cousin has seen me remove both pylons yet he decides to remove only one pylon and not tell me.

Thanks for letting me vent

PS - there wasn't much damage done, just some fibreglass damage on the side step on the trailer.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Due to situations like that, I frequently may come across as an a$$ to those who don't know me well, since I will ask what sometimes appear to be stupid questions, just to make sure.

I agree, he should've pulled both, but unfortunately I'd be in your shoes thinking "how could I have made this not happen?" Unfortuantely, life is annoying to some when you are constantly thinking of 500 outcomes for every possibly situation.

Another example, wife took truck to pick up her friend for a bike ride, and didn't think twice about loading one of the bikes in with the handlebar hanging over the side of the bed (empty F350 & bumpy roads). Yup, you guessed it (as did I when she hinted something was amuck outside), little ball end of the brake lever added 15-20 little chips and scratches to the side of the truck we have had for 3 months and 2000 miles..... How can you plan / prepare for that one? Who would have thought an 8 foot bed was not capable to completely contain 2 mountain bikes..... After a week, I was able to joke about it and tell her the next truck will be a moving van, to make sure we have "room" for everything.

hehe, I vented too, feels better.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:22 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
absolutofft-
Was this a question or rant?
While that sucks to hear about the damage, In my opinion it is your fault. The driver should always be aware of his/her surroundings.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:40 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Over the years, thru personal experience, I have learned the hard way to make sure of two things.
1. Make sure there is nothing behind me. (backed over my gas cans)
2. Make sure the plug is in.

Now thru observation of other people I have learned a few things also
3. Make sure the trailer tongue is latched onto the ball and not sitting on top of it.
4. Make sure the truck is in park and the brake is on.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 95 Prostar 205
Your fault. Never assume anything...........................
Old 08-13-2004, 02:51 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
bcamp,

I agree with you. You can not blame somone else for you backing into something.. .. Just my 02 ..
Old 08-13-2004, 02:58 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Sorry dude,

Prime reason why I do things myself. I am very particular about "my stuff." "Take it easy Frances"

I was out on the boat Wednesday with some friends that haven't been out with me before. I think they got a little offended when I wouldn't let them drive the boat, or back the trailer, or tie the boat to the dock. Now I know my boat is older then most of the boats on the site but, what if something happened or I didn't explain it well enough. I know it's not a new 100K X-80 but, I take care of my stuff. I would be pissed. Are they going to fix it for me or pay for it? Probably not. So, I may come across as funny, but if I damage it, it's mine and my fault.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:06 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
BriEOD,

I am with you 100% on that. Thats how I do it also.

That being said....
Anybody ever forget the plug other than me?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 mastercraft sportstar 19, chevy 305 260 hp
Yes it is true that it comes down to the driver's responsibilty ultimately.

However I was in utter shock that this person would only take out one pylon and I guess it never even remotely entered my mind that he would only take out one pylon especially because the boat was sitting directly in front of the pylon that needed to come out.

I mean I would have had to pull the boat all the way forward and reverse up again to get around that pylon he left in. I was just in shock that he would leave it in.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
Hey

Nice looking boat though.. How about some shots of damage