Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft X-45, 2006, L18, slate gray/white
Shearon-Harris closure? (Raleigh NC area)

Trying to find out validity of a rumor here...

I read on another site that Progress Energy might be closing off public access to Shearon-Harris Reservoir next month for some reason. It might be a weak attempt by members of the other board to get people to stay away from the lake so they can have it to themselves.

I know Progress is planning to refuel the reactor this summer and also heard they might be adding (?) a reactor.

I haven't called Progress yet to check, but will do that sometime this week.

In the meantime, anybody heard anything? Hammer? Anyone?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrkdrivr View Post

I read on another site that Progress Energy might be closing off public access to Shearon-Harris Reservoir next month for some reason. It might be a weak attempt by members of the other board to get people to stay away from the lake so they can have it to themselves.

I know Progress is planning to refuel the reactor this summer and also heard they might be adding (?) a reactor.

I haven't called Progress yet to check, but will do that sometime this week.

In the meantime, anybody heard anything? Hammer? Anyone?
I am not Hammer. You two must be in the know.

Harris has applied for a new reactor, the AP1000 Design. They are planning on building 2 units. A schedule is planned and available.

Harris Lake is not planning to close as far as I know. However it's always subject to change but I doubt they will close the lake.

IIRC, they will be doing a refuel in April of 2009. That should not effect the lake in any manner as such. They will be down 18 - 21 days for refueling.

Last edited by Cloaked; 03-17-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
Quote:

I read on another site that Progress Energy might be closing off public access to Shearon-Harris Reservoir next month for some reason.
Just spoke with a buddy at Progress and there is no plan to close next month. He deals with environmental issues surrounding their plants and would have heard about this.

They have officially planned to raise the level of the lake but have not set a date. This would close the lake for a period of time while they cleared trees from the shoreline. I'm also guessing they would close for a while to let the debris clear.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Cool...good to hear!

No date set for raising the level, but did he have rough idea, like this summer or in a year or two?

Will it be permanent? I hope so, that would make it much more enjoyable not to have to keep such a close eye on the depth gauge.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
I had heard about the lake raising. Looking forward to that! Have not heard anything about the closing at all. Rumors suck!
You been up much lately?

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Cool...good to hear!

No date set for raising the level, but did he have rough idea, like this summer or in a year or two?

Will it be permanent? I hope so, that would make it much more enjoyable not to have to keep such a close eye on the depth gauge.
They will raise the level in order to accommodate the needs of intake cooling and warm water discharge of the two additional reactors. That will be a few years out yet. It will have to be lowered to some significant level in order to construct the cooling water intake pumping stations. Then they will re-establish a new pool level for the additional needs. I don't know too much about the enviro impact and mitigations so don't go repeating this info as the gospel.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 PS 190 Powerslot
Send a message via AIM to Gonzo
nothing on the web that I can find.

If it ain't broke just give it to me... it will be.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
Interesting stuff. Their proposal to the NRC shows a 20ft increase in lake level. The article below discusses a gradual filling that could take four years to complete.

http://www.newsobserver.com/business...ry/709925.html
Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I had heard about the lake raising. Looking forward to that! Have not heard anything about the closing at all. Rumors suck!
You been up much lately?
Hey Hammer!

Yes, deepening the lake will be very cool. The article referenced below mentions by making the lake 20 deeper it will nearly double the acreage...cool! The good news is Progress already owns the land so they won't be flooding anyobody's house.

We haven't been since last summer, and even then we didn't go much; my older daughter was at Governor's School for six weeks and she's really my ski/wake buddy, always willing to hit the lake.

Rumors DO suck, and this one has been rampant over on that other site frequented by North Carolina boaters...

How about you? Getting any sets in yet?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 PS 190 Powerslot
Send a message via AIM to Gonzo
Quote:
Hey Hammer!

Yes, deepening the lake will be very cool. The article referenced below mentions by making the lake 20 deeper it will nearly double the acreage...cool! The good news is Progress already owns the land so they won't be flooding anyobody's house.

We haven't been since last summer, and even then we didn't go much; my older daughter was at Governor's School for six weeks and she's really my ski/wake buddy, always willing to hit the lake.

Rumors DO suck, and this one has been rampant over on that other site frequented by North Carolina boaters...

How about you? Getting any sets in yet?

Hammer is at the beach working for 2 or 3 days, not sure if he has internet access or will catch this, best to PM him so he will see it when he gets back.

If it ain't broke just give it to me... it will be.