Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 05-16-2005, 01:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190 - 351 Indmar (1:1) / 365 Hours
Barefooting Start - Custom Kneeboard Hook

After great help last fall from all of you footers on the board, I experienced success last summer and this spring with the "kneeboard starting method" for barefooting.

I wanted all to know however, that the most difficult part of the process is getting from my knees on the kneeboard, to my butt without falling. I've tried unsuccessfully many times to get up on my butt, I could never do it. That being said, I've designed a custom "aquatic strap" which mounts to the tip of the board to hold the handle while you get situated on your rear-end.

I'll take photos once the project is complete, but I wanted to design something that would lay relatively flat on the board when not in use, yet still be able to hold the handle securely while you go from your knees to your behind. A protruding hook seemed dangerous, as when you stand up the water, the board falls behind and I didn't want anything "hooking" any pertanent organs.

I didn't want to buy a new board just for the hook that could snag me, so I simply picked up a 3" stainless steel bolt with a stainless eyelet on one end, two large stainless washers, a stainless nut, one stainless carabeaner, and a 2 foot piece of 14 guage rubber-coated steel cable, and two cable locks.

My plan is to mount the eyelet to the board, making sure to seal it with silicone or 5200, connect one end of the cable permanently to the eyelet, and then use the carabeaner to connect the other end of cable to and from the eyelet.

Once on your knees prior to getting on your butt, you can simply run the cable though the handle, connect the carabeaner to the eyelet, and the ride no handed, using your free hands to help get situated. Or possibly easier, you could hook the handle up to the cable on the board prior to starting, then get up as ussual, switch to your butt, then unhook the handle.

The eyelet only sits about 1/4" above the board, and is closed so snagging is lessened, and I'm hoping the procedure of hooking up the handle, and latching the cable while being towed isn't too difficult. Anyway, I was just trying to give back to you all for helping me out with the initial process! Hope someone can find this useful, and like I said before, I'll get some photos up once complete.

Last edited by PeteS; 05-16-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:12 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
I saw a kneeboard for sale with a hook already on it.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler
I saw a kneeboard for sale with a hook already on it.
I've seen them on the market also. Like I said above, I don't want to spend $100 on on new kneeboard that I'll only use for barefoot starts.

Also, it looks like the way the hooks are set up on the manufactured board, they sit up above the deck. That worries me as typically when you do the kneeboard start, there's always a chance the board may bounce up and could catch you.

But yes, there are boards for sale that have hooks.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
its alot easier to start out on your butt than doing that whole monkey motion of switching from your knees. just practice sitting on it like a surfboard. i used my wakesurf the other day and it works great. its narrower and tracks better.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:21 PM
skimax

Just sit on it and go! what's all the drama with your "crazy" set up, you should learn to do a "deep water start" it's alot eaiser than what you are trying to do.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X-9
I can see why you were never able to switch knees to butt while going. Just start on your butt - but pretty far back on the board. Once the boat/board gets on plane - go slow and hop up and down to inch you butt forward until your crotch is even with the front pad. Then, signal for full speed and up and away you go...
Old 05-16-2005, 03:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
I will be learning deep water starts over the next couple weeks....
Old 05-16-2005, 03:24 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Start sitting but make sure you get your feet up out of the water, or you'll be hurtin'. It's a little bouncy until you hit about 25/30 mph but better than swtiching positions.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boy I wish I could sit on the board in the water! It sure would be much easier then messing with the device I've engineered, but I was really having a hard time starting on my butt. It was 15 unsuccessful attemps, to one successful start on my rear.

It may be the age of the kneeboard, as it's close to 15 years old, but everytime I try to sit on it to do the start I have a very difficult time keeping my balance. I'll give it a few more tries the next time I go out, and to respond to skimax, yes, I'm in the process of learning a deep water start. That's the ultimate goal.

My line is a standard slalom line right now at 75 feet, with stretch, and I've been told that it'll help immensly if I have more rope and non-stretch for the deep water. Thanks for the comments on the kneeboard start though, keep them coming!
Old 05-16-2005, 04:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Speaking of trying the deep water start, here's what I have on the technique so far:

Body stiff as a board, handle at waist, line between feet, be prepared for 2 or 3 stern rollers, you should be on plane in around 3 seconds after a medium-firm start, "butt out" to curl of wake, get in three point position, signal to drive to take boat up to speed, and stand up.

What am I missing?