Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 S&S, 2001 19 Skier
Need help with gauge gremlins

We took our '01 19Skier out for the first time last weekend. I've got some electrical issues in the gauges. When running, all gauges were working properly except for the tach needle, which was bouncing around all over the place. When the ignition was off (key in off or acc position), the LCD hour meter inside the tach stayed on and some of the other gauges would intermittently "rattle" with some associated needle movement. So I'm thinking:

a) some king of ground problem?
b) maybe the tach gauge is the problem since it was doing weird things with ignition on and off?

The only electrical work I did over the winter was install a shower to the Acc1 switch, and it's working fine, so I don't think it's at all related.

Thanks in advance for the help.

.....Ok, I was about to post my second of two issues from last weekend as a separate issue, but after researching the board a little, I think they may be related. When I drove for my wife, I noticed a water drip near my feet. I assumed one of the speedo lines was leaking, but when I investigated, I found a crack in the plastic box that the tubes connect to. Is this the "MDC" box that is mentioned in other threads? Would a crack in it cause issues with the gauges? I'm assuming the crack occurred due to freezing water at the hydro-electrical interface there? Someone school me please....

On a positive note, I ran a 28' off pass yesterday on my 38th birthday. Now I'm shooting for 38' off for my 48th birthday!

Last edited by ProStar Slalom; 06-01-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Self-bump to try to get some feedback...
Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 MasterCraft Prostar 190
The dripping water could have been the issue. Are any of the other gauges acting funny? They should all be linked together in terms of power. I work for a company that uses 24v gauges and my experience is that if one gets wet, it will cause a short. Are you getting the correct voltage (DC) to the gague that is giving you the issue?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
If I remember correctly your tubes go into the MDC. I beleive your gauges are servo driven digital guages. If there's water in the MDC your going to get all kinds of electrical issues with the guages as the MDC is where the signal for the guages is processed. There should be a bunch of threads about this on the forum.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
If I remember correctly your tubes go into the MDC. I beleive your gauges are servo driven digital guages. If there's water in the MDC your going to get all kinds of electrical issues with the guages as the MDC is where the signal for the guages is processed. There should be a bunch of threads about this on the forum.
I tried the cheap route of drying out the MDC and hoping for the best...no luck. Thanks to Jim and Chuck at BAWS for getting a new MDC in the mail to me at a great price. Everything is back to normal now.