Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-15-2005, 04:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205
Gelcoat cracks

Just finsihed waxing the boat to get her ready for action. Starting to notice quite a few spider web cracks around the exhaust outlets and the rudder and prop mounts. On an 8 year old boat, is this something I should expect or should I talk to someone about it. Some of them are 15+ inches long.

260 Hours on boat. Will be spending summers on a lift from now on when not in use.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-15-2005, 05:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
The lift will help a lot preventing water from penetrating deeper then the cracks surface and it will help the hull drying.
Hope it doesn't turn into blisters...
Old 05-15-2005, 07:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
Doesn't sound normal to me, especially with the low use. Most spider cracks are only consmetic inconveniences, but since yours are below the water line, I would be concerned about water intrusion to the fiberglass layer. Some cracks are easy to fix, others are signs of more serious structural problems. It might be wise to have a knowledgeable fiberglass shop have a look.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:25 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I've heard of some boats developing cracks. Others not. My 93 does not have any spider cracks to date (knock wood). I'd have it checked out by your local glass guy.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
TMC glass guy here

I would definantly have them checked out. Water can seep through the cracks and cause major problems. But cosmetic cracks are no big deal except the looks.
#1 supporter of wadka
Old 05-16-2005, 09:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205
Local fiberglass shop as opposed to my MC dealer? MCs warranty is a bit vague. Is this something that might be covered? Should I just keep an extra coat of wax on it?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
Ask your dealer if it is covered by warranty. If not a good fiberglass shop that is reputible can do the work for you. Just make sure they know what they are doing.
#1 supporter of wadka
Old 05-16-2005, 01:40 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Sorry, I'm so far out of warranty land that I don't think of that much. Check with the dealer first. Usually, a dealer will farm out its glass work anyway. Just get references. Some glass folks are better than others.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:25 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
I think it should still be under warranty. If the cracks are in the gel coat on the hull, they should cover them. I would think it may depend on the customer service of you dealer. Gel coat cracks are somewhat common on lesser quality brand boats, not on Mastercrafts.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:39 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 190, 1996 . std 350
I have a 96 PS190 and also have spider cracks around the exhaust outlet. Actually, one crack on each side of both outlets extending 6-8 inches. I had them checked out by a very reputable fiberglass guy. He said it was nothing to worry about. You can buy gel coat repair kits fairly cheap and is a simple project. If you find out about the warranty, pls post the results!